• Sep 23rd, 2014 1:13 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7479 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
An OT but related question, is it easy to trim a regular or micro sim card to nano sim to fit an iphoen 5, 5c/s ? I am using wind prepaid so I am not sure if I have the options to change my sim card at Wind.
Apr 3, 2006
808 posts
468 upvotes
rivet wrote: An OT but related question, is it easy to trim a regular or micro sim card to nano sim to fit an iphoen 5, 5c/s ? I am using wind prepaid so I am not sure if I have the options to change my sim card at Wind.
Most of those kiosks at the malls that sell cases and screen protectors have a cutting tool and will cut it for $5. I usually just pay them instead of doing it myself.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
I cut mine myself and it worked, using a downloaded printable template. But that was just temporary.

As for getting someone to cut it for you for $5, that seems pointless. All you're saving is 5 bucks. I'd rather just spend the $10 and get a proper nano-SIM. There can be occasional problems with cutting a SIM, including breaking the SIM of course, but also stuff like rough edges or thickness that can get caught on the housing. It should be noted that a nano-SIM is actually thinner than a micro-SIM.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
EugW wrote: I cut mine myself and it worked, using a downloaded printable template. But that was just temporary.

As for getting someone to cut it for you for $5, that seems pointless. All you're saving is 5 bucks. I'd rather just spend the $10 and get a proper nano-SIM. There can be occasional problems with cutting a SIM, including breaking the SIM of course, but also stuff like rough edges or thickness that can get caught on the housing. It should be noted that a nano-SIM is actually thinner than a micro-SIM.
2 years now and no problem with the one I cut down. Super insanely easy to do and I love saving $$$.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: 2 years now and no problem with the one I cut down. Super insanely easy to do and I love saving $$$.
Like I said, it works. I did it myself. But it's a kludge. I do not recommend it to anyone as a permanent solution.

I will reiterate that a nano-SIM and a micro-SIM are actually of different thicknesses.
Apr 3, 2006
808 posts
468 upvotes
EugW wrote: I'd rather just spend the $10 and get a proper nano-SIM.
Depends on your carrier. I think it was Chatr or Rogers that wanted like 20 bucks when my dad needed his sim changed. So I got it cut for 5 and saved him 15 bucks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7479 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks every one, my plan is not offered on Wind mobile anymore, I am not sure if I want to get a new sim from wind, I am worried about the CSR from wind would screw it and I am risking losing my old plan and/or balance.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2020 posts
193 upvotes
Marbella
I'll be selling my iPhone 5 White 32GB Unlocked as soon as I get iPhone 6+. Phone was just replaced by Applecare last week. Let me know if interested.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
Sushi Roll wrote: Depends on your carrier. I think it was Chatr or Rogers that wanted like 20 bucks when my dad needed his sim changed. So I got it cut for 5 and saved him 15 bucks.
Well, it was $20 at some carriers 2 years ago. In 2014 they're usually $10, including at Rogers and Fido, and Telus too. In fact, it's only $5 at Bell now.
Apr 3, 2006
808 posts
468 upvotes
EugW wrote: Well, it was $20 at some carriers 2 years ago. In 2014 they're usually $10, including at Rogers and Fido, and Telus too. In fact, it's only $5 at Bell now.
Wow they actually lowered prices? I'm a little shocked the carriers actually lowered prices on something. You'd think it'd be up to $50 by now at the rate all the plans are going up. Nice to know! Yeah if it's that cheap it's not worth cutting sims these days then.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7479 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
Where do you get that.
Sharks316 wrote: Refurb lol

I got iphone 5 64 gb for $379 brand new factory sealed
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
rivet wrote: Where do you get that.
Ebay...however it is locked to sprint

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)