Buying Used Leaf from Quebec Yes/No

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2019 9:06 pm
[OP]
Feb 7, 2018
29 posts
24 upvotes

Buying Used Leaf from Quebec Yes/No

Was going to tag this into the EV thread, but that seems preoccupied with new EV tech. Live in Ottawa, want an EV for 2nd vehicle. Wifey and I carpool into work at the moment, but in a few years we won't likely be able to do that anymore (kids, daycare etc...). Now that the $14k incentive is gone from Ontario and the interest rate hikes from BOC - a new Leaf S is almost $900/month over 5 years with financing- which is frankly out of the question (and don't talk to me about Tesla who quotes fuel savings in their selling price smh).

I tried looking for used Leafs in the Ottawa region, but they are very few and far between - only ones for sale are pre 2016 models with ~100km usable range. In Quebec, there are a lot of used Leafs for sale - 2016/17 models with <50k km which are around 22-25k + tx. Range on those is estimated 170km, and our daily carpool commute is around 70km roundtrip so that should be sufficient even in our harsh winters.

Does anyone have any experience with buying used EV they'd like to share - and bonus points to anyone who's bought a used EV/car from another province.

Thanks
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2351 posts
866 upvotes
Pothole city
wiab89 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 6:05 pm
Was going to tag this into the EV thread, but that seems preoccupied with new EV tech. Live in Ottawa, want an EV for 2nd vehicle. Wifey and I carpool into work at the moment, but in a few years we won't likely be able to do that anymore (kids, daycare etc...). Now that the $14k incentive is gone from Ontario and the interest rate hikes from BOC - a new Leaf S is almost $900/month over 5 years with financing- which is frankly out of the question (and don't talk to me about Tesla who quotes fuel savings in their selling price smh).

I tried looking for used Leafs in the Ottawa region, but they are very few and far between - only ones for sale are pre 2016 models with ~100km usable range. In Quebec, there are a lot of used Leafs for sale - 2016/17 models with <50k km which are around 22-25k + tx. Range on those is estimated 170km, and our daily carpool commute is around 70km roundtrip so that should be sufficient even in our harsh winters.

Does anyone have any experience with buying used EV they'd like to share - and bonus points to anyone who's bought a used EV/car from another province.

Thanks
The reason you're seeing lower price in Qc is because there's a government incentive of 4K on used EVs bought outside the province.
4K is probably already in price, but not available to you because you're from On.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1101 posts
577 upvotes
Be sure you can do the commute in the winter. My 2018 with a 260km range in the summer, you are lucky getting 100km in the winter, unless you want to freeze and not use the heater.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2351 posts
866 upvotes
Pothole city
fusion2k2k wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 10:03 pm
Be sure you can do the commute in the winter. My 2018 with a 260km range in the summer, you are lucky getting 100km in the winter, unless you want to freeze and not use the heater.
You should bring it to the dealer... There's a serious problem with your car.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1101 posts
577 upvotes
typer100 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 6:30 am
You should bring it to the dealer... There's a serious problem with your car.
Several other owners on the Canada Facebook group have been reporting the same thing.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2018
29 posts
24 upvotes
typer100 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 6:13 pm
The reason you're seeing lower price in Qc is because there's a government incentive of 4K on used EVs bought outside the province.
4K is probably already in price, but not available to you because you're from On.
Didn't know that - thanks. I saw a few listings where they mentioned the 4k incentive was in the price, others not. That being said, I just saw a 2017 with 70k km for 23k in the Ottawa area so possibly their prices are on point.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2018
29 posts
24 upvotes
fusion2k2k wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 10:03 pm
That's crazy - from what I've read you can lose up to 40% of range if you blast heaters etc... giving me a winter range of ~100km. Would likely pre-heat car in garage in the morning to eliminate some of this loss.
Jun 10, 2003
609 posts
36 upvotes
Halifax
I just bought one from Quebec and I live in Nova Scotia. I guess I will start with the bad.

Be aware that these cars come from the US so if you get an SV or SL the carwings remote features don't work. You can pay to get a new modem for the car but I got the base S trim so it cant be done to my car. I don't know what kind of cars you drive now but be warned that everything in the car is cheap and it drives like a cheap car. The steering feels completely dead, I have had better racing wheels for game consoles. The steering is my biggest complaint over all about the car. It feels like an old leaf spring truck on bumpy roads, I guess its so heavy that the suspensions has a hard time coping with the bumps and it bounces quite a lot. If you do not get the LeafSpy Pro app to turn it off, the car beeps like a damn truck when backing up. I understand that the car is silent and you want pedestrians to hear you but it didn't need to be loud enough for people with headphones on to hear it.

Even with all that I still like the car, it is truly the perfect city car. It may not actually BE fast but the smooth, constant acceleration makes it feel really fast. To give you an idea on costs, I get about 5KM's/KWh with my winter tires on and when I got the car it had averaged 7.5 in California. I have not done any real highway driving with the car so I cant say how that changes the range but you can out preform the guess-o-meter if you get good with the regen braking in the city. For me the extra cost was not worth it to get a higher trim level for the heat pump, the heat pumps operating temp range is not that great so most of the time you will be using the resistive heater anyways.. My car is parked in a heated garage and we did not get any of that polar vortex crap with winter so I cant give you any insight into range loss when the battery is very cold. Ordered a JuiceBox 40 charger off of amazon, I wanted to be able to split the electricity bill between the house and car easily and this charger keeps track of its power consumption.

I went through a local dealer to bring in the car for me but if I were to do it again I would try and deal with the Quebec dealer directly. Going to a dealership reminded me why I hate dealerships. When you are looking at a car, you are going to want to get the batteries "SOH%" or state of health percentage. The 12 bars on the dash do not give you enough information on the battery to make a good decision and the smaller dealers in Quebec that bring these in will have that information for you. If you can go in person you should look into getting your own copy of LeafSpy to check on the battery health yourself, if you cant ask for a screenshot of the LeafSpy battery report. You can also check how many DC quick charges have been done and how many L2 & L1 chargers. If there have been a lot of quick charges and the car came from a hot environment it "could" be bad for the battery in the long run. Low KM's and a lot of L2&L1 charges would also be a red flag, keeping the battery at or near full charge all the time is bad for it. Since the leaf has no active thermal management for the battery I would try to only look a 2015+ years as they really fixed the early issues as best they could.

I probably rambled on way too much. If you have any specific question just send me a PM.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6025 posts
4495 upvotes
North York
wiab89 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 10:32 pm
That's crazy - from what I've read you can lose up to 40% of range if you blast heaters etc... giving me a winter range of ~100km. Would likely pre-heat car in garage in the morning to eliminate some of this loss.
so what would you do if there's an accident on the road, and you can't move for 2-3 hours, in which time you run out of battery
Jan 12, 2017
390 posts
139 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 12:20 am
so what would you do if there's an accident on the road, and you can't move for 2-3 hours, in which time you run out of battery
Pretty sure that type of wait is only found in major cities and corridors (401). Don't recall ever encountering and real traffic in Ottawa except trying to goto Costco...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2351 posts
866 upvotes
Pothole city
Chickennbeans wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:07 am
Pretty sure that type of wait is only found in major cities and corridors (401). Don't recall ever encountering and real traffic in Ottawa except trying to goto Costco...
lol, buy EV. Most of the lineups are for the pumps :) (at my Costco anyway)
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4926 posts
4058 upvotes
Montreal
instanoodles wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:39 pm
I just bought one from Quebec and I live in Nova Scotia. I guess I will start with the bad.

Be aware that these cars come from the US so if you get an SV or SL the carwings remote features don't work. You can pay to get a new modem for the car but I got the base S trim so it cant be done to my car. I don't know what kind of cars you drive now but be warned that everything in the car is cheap and it drives like a cheap car. The steering feels completely dead, I have had better racing wheels for game consoles. The steering is my biggest complaint over all about the car. It feels like an old leaf spring truck on bumpy roads, I guess its so heavy that the suspensions has a hard time coping with the bumps and it bounces quite a lot. If you do not get the LeafSpy Pro app to turn it off, the car beeps like a damn truck when backing up. I understand that the car is silent and you want pedestrians to hear you but it didn't need to be loud enough for people with headphones on to hear it.

Even with all that I still like the car, it is truly the perfect city car. It may not actually BE fast but the smooth, constant acceleration makes it feel really fast. To give you an idea on costs, I get about 5KM's/KWh with my winter tires on and when I got the car it had averaged 7.5 in California. I have not done any real highway driving with the car so I cant say how that changes the range but you can out preform the guess-o-meter if you get good with the regen braking in the city. For me the extra cost was not worth it to get a higher trim level for the heat pump, the heat pumps operating temp range is not that great so most of the time you will be using the resistive heater anyways.. My car is parked in a heated garage and we did not get any of that polar vortex crap with winter so I cant give you any insight into range loss when the battery is very cold. Ordered a JuiceBox 40 charger off of amazon, I wanted to be able to split the electricity bill between the house and car easily and this charger keeps track of its power consumption.

I went through a local dealer to bring in the car for me but if I were to do it again I would try and deal with the Quebec dealer directly. Going to a dealership reminded me why I hate dealerships. When you are looking at a car, you are going to want to get the batteries "SOH%" or state of health percentage. The 12 bars on the dash do not give you enough information on the battery to make a good decision and the smaller dealers in Quebec that bring these in will have that information for you. If you can go in person you should look into getting your own copy of LeafSpy to check on the battery health yourself, if you cant ask for a screenshot of the LeafSpy battery report. You can also check how many DC quick charges have been done and how many L2 & L1 chargers. If there have been a lot of quick charges and the car came from a hot environment it "could" be bad for the battery in the long run. Low KM's and a lot of L2&L1 charges would also be a red flag, keeping the battery at or near full charge all the time is bad for it. Since the leaf has no active thermal management for the battery I would try to only look a 2015+ years as they really fixed the early issues as best they could.

I probably rambled on way too much. If you have any specific question just send me a PM.
Upvoted for an objective review. Never seen this from an EV owner.

Cliff's note...

OP bought EV Leaf base model from QC through local dealer.

Carwings remote feature does not work in Canada, need to replace the modem.

Very cheap car inside out, rides like a cheap car

Car too heavy for it's cheap suspension

Steering is dead, disconnected. Logitech G29 has much better feel.

Sounds like a tow truck in reverse when alarm starts beeping.

Gets less than stated range on winter tires from heated garage and mild winter.

Better to deal with Quebec dealer directly

Check batter SOC before buying.

Don't buy car if lots of quick charges and low mileage in hot environments.

Look for 2015 and up for better battery management.

OP still likes the car even though it drives like a '73 Newport on leaf springs
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6406 posts
5140 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
ottofly wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 8:33 am
Upvoted for an objective review. Never seen this from an EV owner.

Cliff's note...

OP bought EV Leaf base model from QC through local dealer.

Carwings remote feature does not work in Canada, need to replace the modem.

Very cheap car inside out, rides like a cheap car

Car too heavy for it's cheap suspension

Steering is dead, disconnected. Logitech G29 has much better feel.

Sounds like a tow truck in reverse when alarm starts beeping.

Gets less than stated range on winter tires from heated garage and mild winter.

Better to deal with Quebec dealer directly

Check batter SOC before buying.

Don't buy car if lots of quick charges and low mileage in hot environments.

Look for 2015 and up for better battery management.

OP still likes the car even though it drives like a '73 Newport on leaf springs
Sounds similar to the Ford Focus EV thread....

"here's a bunch of major problems that on a normal car I'd be going off on relentlessly but in this case....still great because EV!!!"
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1551 posts
409 upvotes
instanoodles wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:39 pm

Mind to tell which model year? Gen. 1?