• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2010 6:26 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 26, 2003
478 posts
32 upvotes

Buying a used Shaw HD PVR?

I've been wondering about something. If I purchase a used Shaw HD PVR off somebody, will Shaw allow me to hook it use it if I buy the HD package from them or do I have to buy one new for $650?
5 replies
Nov 2, 2006
841 posts
15 upvotes
yup. no problem. provided the serial number has not been reported as stolen.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1279 posts
87 upvotes
I believe that Shaw will only activate used boxes that have previously been activated (or registered) with their system. Therefore, you should probably get the serial number and check with Shaw that they are willing to activate it before purchasing.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26417
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
2512 posts
65 upvotes
Coquitlam
kitty wrote:
Feb 19th, 2009 7:14 pm
I believe that Shaw will only activate used boxes that have previously been activated (or registered) with their system. Therefore, you should probably get the serial number and check with Shaw that they are willing to activate it before purchasing.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26417
+1

They will NOT activate a box that has never been in the system before. IE no more 3rd party boxes. So if you get one that was bought outside of shaw's network, you will be S.o.L.
Sep 26, 2010
1 posts
GVRD
mr_clark wrote:
Feb 19th, 2009 2:40 pm
I've been wondering about something. If I purchase a used Shaw HD PVR off somebody, will Shaw allow me to hook it use it if I buy the HD package from them or do I have to buy one new for $650?
I spoke with a shaw rep today via live chat and asked what the procedure was if I purchased a PVR elsewhere. Was there a fee involved to connect it or what?

He said "If you purchase your own from a third party retailer, such as Future Shop, there wouldn't be any connection fees as you only have to call us to activate it. If you are looking to buy one privately, we suggest calling us with the serial number first to make sure it isn't stolen."(I saved the chat.)

Hope that helps! This is likely the route I will take, seeing as I do not want or need HDPVR at this time.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3080 posts
300 upvotes
mr_clark wrote:
Feb 19th, 2009 2:40 pm
Yeah, as others have said make sure it's not a 3rd party device and that it isn't stolen or a rental. Also, you should get the seller to deactivate the PVR from their account first.

With a HD PVR or box, you automatically get the HD Basic channels which includes East and West coast version of the Big 4 US networks, CBC, PBS, CNN, and any locally broadcasting HD station for no additional charge on your monthly bill.
× < >