Fitness and Nutrition

Buying a Used Treadmill: Sole F63 vs. NordicTrack Elite 2900 vs. Bowflex TC5?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 4:09 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta

Buying a Used Treadmill: Sole F63 vs. NordicTrack Elite 2900 vs. Bowflex TC5?

Any treadmill gurus here? Seen all three on FB Marketplace for between $250 and $500...within a hours drive. Bowflex treadclimber is the odd one....not sure if my physiotherapist will recommend it.

I'm a bigger guy....like at least a 275-300 pound weight limit. Not planning to run much if at all...mostly walking and probably some jogging.

Thanks.

David
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1829 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
From my past experiences. With at least 30+ years running, working out, etc.
I take my gear. Running shoes, mainly.

Get on the treadmill. Not starting it whilst standing on it, Not good for the motor. First thing I do is see how strong the machine is. Shake it, by grabbing the bars on the side and see how much it gives. You do not want it to be too flimsy. Start it upto 3 mph. then get on it.
Do you have a friend or a shop near you that you can try them.
Can you be disciplined enough to make the cost worth while. Try Kijji as loads of people buy them with good intentions then end up using them as clothes hangers.
Include the cost of shoes and comfortable gear.
Most speciality running shops have a treadmill. Whilst buying shoes you can see how they fit on you and test the treadmill.
Most running shops have good customer service and do not push you. Cost of the shoes are not cheap, however, you are getting normally 1st class advice. That is often what you are paying for.
Buying the correct shoes are important as it affects your whole body.

To start with how about going outside and start there, Away from traffic, a local park. Do not worry about people watching you if it makes you uncomfortable. Quite often if I see somebody in your situation I usually give them the thumbs up.

If you are new to any sport check with your Doctor first.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
DavidY wrote: Any treadmill gurus here? Seen all three on FB Marketplace for between $250 and $500...within a hours drive. Bowflex treadclimber is the odd one....not sure if my physiotherapist will recommend it.

I'm a bigger guy....like at least a 275-300 pound weight limit. Not planning to run much if at all...mostly walking and probably some jogging.

Thanks.

David
Good treadmills will not be cheap and most end up being used as place to hang clothes so keep that in mind. I would recommend you visit a few fitness stores and try out the selection. Fitness depot, treadmill factory...etc then maybe purchase a used one off Kijiji - you will save quite a bit buying used. As far as brands go I can tell you from my research - spent a good 3 month researching brands - I would not hesitate to recommend a Pacemaster (new or used). A new one will set you back $1500 - $3000 while a used one can be had for around $500

bowflex and treadclimber are heavily marketed so I would stay away from them
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
blexann wrote: Good treadmills will not be cheap and most end up being used as place to hang clothes so keep that in mind. I would recommend you visit a few fitness stores and try out the selection. Fitness depot, treadmill factory...etc then maybe purchase a used one off Kijiji - you will save quite a bit buying used. As far as brands go I can tell you from my research - spent a good 3 month researching brands - I would not hesitate to recommend a Pacemaster (new or used). A new one will set you back $1500 - $3000 while a used one can be had for around $500

bowflex and treadclimber are heavily marketed so I would stay away from them
Really, they are just a normal treadmill on incline setting.

As for the OP. Motor strength is an issue, try to get at least 2.5 chp, 3 would be ideal.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Dark Phoenix wrote: Really, they are just a normal treadmill on incline setting.

As for the OP. Motor strength is an issue, try to get at least 2.5 chp, 3 would be ideal.
Right but have to think twice before dishing out over $2,500 unless maybe you manage to get it very cheap on the used market.

I'm pretty heavy into calisthenics and HIT workouts so exercise machines aren't my thing anymore. A treadclimber workout can be implemented using other movements and without any equipment.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks for the replies.

Corresponding with someone who has an older NordicTrack treadmill asking for $100. 30 min drive.

Moving one of these will be my big problem. The Sole F63 reportedly has a shipping weight of about 280 pounds. A new F63 is just over $1500. I found a used F63 for $250....45 min away. Good online reviews on the F63....among the best in its price class. Haven't found much info on the 2900. Most Nordictrack treadmills have decent to very good reviews.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)