Buying used winter tires

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2018 9:23 pm
[OP]
Apr 16, 2011
394 posts
21 upvotes

Buying used winter tires

Is buying a set of used winter tires with 70% tread worth it? Or is that too little. Just wondering what the general consensus was on buying used tires and if there were any better options than classifieds on Kijiji.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2438 posts
802 upvotes
GTA
If the price is right, it is.
If the price is wrong, it isn't.

Quick maths
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
jronald wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:06 pm
Is buying a set of used winter tires with 70% tread worth it? Or is that too little. Just wondering what the general consensus was on buying used tires and if there were any better options than classifieds on Kijiji.
Generally speaking, winter tires are good for about 3 seasons.
After they wear to certain point, they lose most of their "winter" capabilities and become about the same as your average all season tires.
With 70% remaining, it sounds like they are just about there.
If cost is the issue, you can get brand new (allthough made in China) snow tires for about $100 a piece if you look around..
Some of them are actually pretty good tires...if you do your homework with research, you should be able to find a good set.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2131 posts
635 upvotes
Calgary
Where did you get the 70% from? I find most people who advertise on kijiji arbitrarily through those % around.

You want a tread depth measurement in 32nds. Most new tires come with 10-12/32" tread depth. All seasons can be used down to 2/32" in summer. Winters after you get down to 5-6/32" they are basically done. To some people 6/32" is 50% when in fact it's close to done.
Jan 13, 2007
307 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
angry-trucker wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:27 pm
After they wear to certain point, they lose most of their "winter" capabilities and become about the same as your average all season tires.
With 70% remaining, it sounds like they are just about there.
If cost is the issue, you can get brand new (allthough made in China) snow tires for about $100 a piece if you look around..
Some of them are actually pretty good tires...if you do your homework with research, you should be able to find a good set.
Your mileage may vary but I've had good experiences with "made in China" winter tires. I've been using Evergreen brand tires in winter for years with no downsides that I can admit to. They were roughly $100/tire which is very reasonable when you compare that to maybe $50+/tire for used tires with an unknown history.
aleks wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:40 pm
Where did you get the 70% from? I find most people who advertise on kijiji arbitrarily through those % around.

You want a tread depth measurement in 32nds. Most new tires come with 10-12/32" tread depth. All seasons can be used down to 2/32" in summer. Winters after you get down to 5-6/32" they are basically done. To some people 6/32" is 50% when in fact it's close to done.
Agree. Always take that % estimate that Kijiji sellers post in their ad with a grain of salt. I've seen some where of the 4 tires, maybe 1 was actually at 75% and the others were more like 50%. Also, anything less than 75% in my opinion simply isn't worth it. When looking at used tires, I use 10/32" tread depth as my baseline and measure using Vernier calipers the actual tread depth. Take the ratio and arrive at an actual %.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2317 posts
1571 upvotes
I base values of tires on actual thrown out amounts.... Transport Canada says tires worn close to 5/32” (4 millimetres) should not be used on snow-covered roads.

So that being said....assuming 12/32 is new and 5/32 is throw out or 0%. 7/32 would be 28.6% remaining.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1851 posts
235 upvotes
I have only ever bought my winter tires used on kijiji. I don't take the word of the seller though, unless they actually measure the tread depth and post a pic with the depth gauge. I will still bring my own gauge, inspect all 4 tires at various points throughout the tread, and happily buy if they are going to last me a few seasons.

I agree that when my tires get to 5/32 they are usually pretty useless in winter. I like buying used because people tend not to wear down winters as much, the vehicles could get in an accident or sold and the tires will generally come with rims, so that saves you an additional cost of rims ($40-100 each) plus the mounting and balancing cost.

My last set of winter tires measured at 10/32, currently on their second season and still quite deep (haven't measured recently) and only cost me $100 for the set of 4, already on rims.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1308 posts
437 upvotes
angry-trucker wrote:
Wife has been on hers for 5 years now, and they were used of Kijiji. I drive her car once in a while, and they seem to work very well still compared to my all seasons on my car. They are some Goodyear tire. Looking at the thread just visually I think they got another 2-3 years in them, would have never guessed they are only supposed to last 3 seasons.
Oct 2, 2017
438 posts
280 upvotes
My winter tires on my first car lasted 6 years. I traded in after 7, basically only bought one set of winter tires the entire time I drove it. Take 2-3 with a grain of salt, the best way is simply to measure the depth
bottles on me, long as someone drink it
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10613 posts
3450 upvotes
Toronto
angry-trucker wrote:
Silly comment since everyone drives different amounts.
If someone drives 5000 km in a winter, the tires will need to be replaced after 5-6 seasons due to age, not tread depth.
Or if someone does 20-30,000 Km’s per winter,they will be buying new tires every 3 years due to tire wear
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
Swerny wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:25 pm
Silly comment since everyone drives different amounts.
If someone drives 5000 km in a winter, the tires will need to be replaced after 5-6 seasons due to age, not tread depth.
Or if someone does 20-30,000 Km’s per winter,they will be buying new tires every 3 years due to tire wear
That's why I'm saying "generally speaking"...in other words what I meant was the average...
Basing this on about 20 000 per year, from which about one third accounts for winter...so that's just under 7000 kilometers per year.
3 seasons should put on about 21 000.

This may not seem like much, but remember that winter tires have more aggressive tread patters and the rubber compound is very soft compared to the all season compound, so they wear off much faster.
The soft biting edges, which give you most of the winter grip advantages will be almost gone at that mileage....21 000 might be nothing for all season tires, but for winter tires its quite a bit.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13043 posts
2552 upvotes
London
aleks wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:40 pm
+1, many people on Kijiji are fibbing or just don't know. Some are fibbing a bit, other are fibbing a lot
"Used only 1 season, just like new" = tires 6+ years old that are 6/32".

It's true, they only had them for only 1 winter and hardly drove on them at all. They don't tell you that they bought them "well" used

Sometimes it's better to look at tier 2 brands
Dunlop = Goodyear
Uniroyal/ Goodrich = Michelin
Kingstar = Hankook
Barium/ General = Continental
Firestone/ Fuzion = Bridgestone
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4582 posts
238 upvotes
Burnaby
Tread is one thing, but would also need to know the dot code to see when the tires were manufactured. For all you know, they could be 10 year old tires.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Jan 13, 2007
307 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
gheart008 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 12:51 pm
Tread is one thing, but would also need to know the dot code to see when the tires were manufactured. For all you know, they could be 10 year old tires.
I couldn't agree more. Anyone looking to buy tires should learn how to read the DOT code and make a habit of checking it out before buying any tire. In summary, it's a 4-digit code at the end of the DOT code sequence which can be found embossed on the sidewall of a tire. Format = WWYY, where WW represents the week number and YY the year that the tire was manufactured in, e.g. 0118 would mean the 1st week of 2018.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2011
394 posts
21 upvotes
Well after reading everyones opinion here I decided to suck it up and get new winter tires. Yes they are a Chinese brand and yes it did save me money but I am more than certain it will be sufficient for the winter after having read some reviews online. Thanks to everyone here for chiming in.