Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 7, 2012
36 posts
2 upvotes
MELVILLE

Buying a vehicle from another province

Is it possible to buy a vehicle from another province's dealership and have it shipped to a dealership nearby? I know the freight is a fixed cost Canada wide and am wondering if it can be brought right to your home like they do in the states?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1198 posts
383 upvotes
Edmonton
I believe they can. As I work in a dealership in Edmonton and one of the sales-guys sisters lived in Ottawa. He paid and bought her a car, and had a transport company pickup the vehicle and deliver to her house.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7050 posts
849 upvotes
Alberta
dj_rice wrote:
Jan 25th, 2013 12:20 am
I believe they can. As I work in a dealership in Edmonton and one of the sales-guys sisters lived in Ottawa. He paid and bought her a car, and had a transport company pickup the vehicle and deliver to her house.
Usually it's the other way around...since used cars are typically cheaper in Ontario than in Alberta due to more supply.

Dave
Apr 8, 2010
713 posts
144 upvotes
London
itsneversafe wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 6:24 pm
Is it possible to buy a vehicle from another province's dealership and have it shipped to a dealership nearby? I know the freight is a fixed cost Canada wide and am wondering if it can be brought right to your home like they do in the states?
Is this for a new or used vehicle? For a new car, I would suggest you go to your local dealer, say I know this other dealer has a car I want, can you do a dealer swap? Or even better the same car might be at port/rolling out of the factory. By dealing with just one guy, you avoid the possibility of two sets of commission being blended into your price.

If it's a used car, just deal with the out of province dealer directly and have them deliver it to your house or a nearby depot. You're right to go the transport route - anyone I know that has gone long distances to get a car always wishes they did the transport thing once you factor in flights, hotel and fuel on the way back.