Automotive

Buying a vehicle with a lien on it

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2018 9:29 am
[OP]
Jun 13, 2018
1 posts

Buying a vehicle with a lien on it

So I'm looking into buying an older vehicle (year 2000) so I went to an Alberta Registry and got a "Vehicle Information Report" on it. The car has been registered several time in Alberta in multiple cities and has 1 lien on it. So I went the next step and got a "Personal Property Registry Search Result Report" by the VIN number. It showed that the vehicle was seized back in December 2006 for a several thousand dollars for Calgary auctions. It also has two creditor(s) and the debtor who is not the current owner of the vehicle (one of the previous owners I am assuming). Since then the car has been registered multiple times throughout Alberta. Should I be worried?

UPDATE: I did some more research and contact the Alberta Government and talked to the same sector that can distributes “Personal Property Registry Search Result Reports”. The person I spoke too told me due to seizure being incredibly old I should contact the “Civial Enforcment Agency” that seized the car to see if they forgot to discharge the vehicle and debtor. So I did and that turned out to be the case and got emailed a copy of the “Report of Discharge”. At this moment I am hoping all is cleared up with the liens.
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3902 posts
964 upvotes
Debtario
Why bother?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29954 posts
5085 upvotes
Ottawa
M1K3Z0R wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:41 pm
Why bother?
I agree.
It s an 18 year old car. You stated it had several liens against it and your update only mentioned one of them. I suggest you stay away from this one.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3063 posts
750 upvotes
markham
who cares?...its an 18 year old car... seizing a vehicle costs money..depending on how much the lien is for and if its up to date...its probably not worth a seize and sell. bailiffs, tow trucks court orders all cost up front money. chances are with an 18 year old car..they assume it scrap by now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)