Computers & Electronics

Buying a Video Card - What does this mean?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2014 11:26 am
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2009
494 posts
122 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

Buying a Video Card - What does this mean?

I am going to buy a video card (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Overclocked 2GB PCIe 3.0x16 Video Card - model #GV-N75TOC-2GI) but i believe it takes up 2 slots (meaning it goes in one slot but is thick that it covers the next slot next to it). My motherboard has one PCIex16 slot but the service manual says the following:

"No mechanical restriction to support for double slot, full length graphics cards in the single PCIe X16 slot."

So is this saying that the slot has no obstruction and my new video card will fit in (because my video card does say its slot size is dual) or is it saying it cant support it?

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
corezz wrote: So is this saying that the slot has no obstruction and my new video card will fit in (because my video card does say its slot size is dual) or is it saying it cant support it?
Precisely.
Feb 22, 2009
494 posts
122 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
alkizmo wrote: Precisely.
Which is it (i had an "or" in that sentence)? Thanks,.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
corezz wrote: Which is it (i had an "or" in that sentence)? Thanks,.
ooops, I stopped reading after OR.

It means a double-slot card WILL indeed fit.

However, the best confirmation is visual confirmation.
Look at the PCI-e slot on your motherboard, then look if there is anything between that slot and the slot beneath it. If it's a clear path with no obstructions, you are good to go.
Feb 22, 2009
494 posts
122 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
alkizmo wrote: ooops, I stopped reading after OR.

It means a double-slot card WILL indeed fit.

However, the best confirmation is visual confirmation.
Look at the PCI-e slot on your motherboard, then look if there is anything between that slot and the slot beneath it. If it's a clear path with no obstructions, you are good to go.

Ahhh thanks very much. Very helpful!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)