• Aug 7th, 2018 1:14 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
31628 posts
8034 upvotes
GTHA

Bypassing language filter

Is it no longer prohibited to bypass the language filter?

Example:
Bracketman24 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 11:25 pm
Why in the f*ck can't eBay's team see the aforementioned?
Share:
28 replies
Sep 27, 2003
9074 posts
1988 upvotes
Newmarket
tk1000 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 9:24 am
There used to be a mention.

We can now bypass the language with impunity?
I would say that based on the current rule set, I would not moderate the specific post that you quoted. But if someone bypassed the filter and attacked another member, I would action that accordingly.

Is there a need to swear?

@TomRFD can you confirm if this is an oversight or if the rules have been changed?
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14105 posts
987 upvotes
This would be weird since there has been multiple times that I have not bypassed the filter and let it do it's job and still had my post edited. I asked Tom about this and never really got an answer.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Sep 27, 2003
9074 posts
1988 upvotes
Newmarket
Ojam wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 9:58 am
This would be weird since there has been multiple times that I have not bypassed the filter and let it do it's job and still had my post edited. I asked Tom about this and never really got an answer.
All posts are still subject to moderation. Even if you didn't bypass the filter, the content itself may have violated other rules on our forum.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9453 posts
14118 upvotes
Scarborough
Ojam wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 9:58 am
The censor is still in place and that won't change. The rule regarding users bypassing the censor was removed earlier this year. Obscenities are now handled under the "Inappropriate content" rule.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14105 posts
987 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 2:24 pm
The censor is still in place and that won't change. The rule regarding users bypassing the censor was removed earlier this year. Obscenities are now handled under the "Inappropriate content" rule.
Makes sense, but, is letting the censor just censor the post without bypassing, is that against the Inappropriate content rule? So saying a "bad word" but letting the censor replace it with **** shouldn't end with a post being edited with the **** being replaced by a "clean word" if the rest of the post falls within those rules?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9453 posts
14118 upvotes
Scarborough
Ojam wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 2:39 pm
Makes sense, but, is letting the censor just censor the post without bypassing, is that against the Inappropriate content rule? So saying a "bad word" but letting the censor replace it with **** shouldn't end with a post being edited with the **** being replaced by a "clean word" if the rest of the post falls within those rules?
If a word is automatically censored by the system it won't be edited by a moderator in most cases. The one exception I can think of off the top of my head is if they needed to edit the post for some other reason, saw the inappropriate word, and then chose to turn it into *'s instead of letting the system automatically do it.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
16323 posts
524 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
TomRFD wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 2:46 pm
If a word is automatically censored by the system it won't be edited by a moderator in most cases. The one exception I can think of off the top of my head is if they needed to edit the post for some other reason, saw the inappropriate word, and then chose to turn it into *'s instead of letting the system automatically do it.
If "shit" was considered a censored word here, and someone wrote "sh!t", is that considered an offence?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9453 posts
14118 upvotes
Scarborough
konfusion666 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 5:28 pm
If "shit" was considered a censored word here, and someone wrote "sh!t", is that considered an offence?
Any automatically censored word that's bypassed by using other characters has the potential to be considered inappropriate but in most cases it won't be. If we consider the use to be inappropriate we'll more likely just edit the post to remove it.

There are other instances such as it being used in a personal attack, but in those cases the personal attack would've taken priority over the previous "bypassing the censor" rule anyways.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4268 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
I answered "Sweet Jesus!" on a thread earlier this year... and one mod censored it, and changed it to "Sweet Jeebs", or some garbage like that, indicating that holy words should only be used in religious threads :facepalm:
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9453 posts
14118 upvotes
Scarborough
roblombardi wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 3:59 pm
I answered "Sweet Jesus!" on a thread earlier this year... and one mod censored it, and changed it to "Sweet Jeebs", or some garbage like that, indicating that holy words should only be used in religious threads :facepalm:
It's borderline "politics and religion" which we do have separate rules for but I don't feel it was a necessary action. Were you issued a warning or was it just edited?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4268 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 6:30 pm
It's borderline "politics and religion" which we do have separate rules for but I don't feel it was a necessary action. Were you issued a warning or was it just edited?
It was just edited, Tom, and when I questioned it, I received an answer saying that I should reserve holy words for religious discussions in OT (?) and that any other instance would be censored... mmm... what?

I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)