Food & Drink

C&C Supermarket (888 Don Mills Road, North York, Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 5:14 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2007
394 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

C&C Supermarket (888 Don Mills Road, North York, Ontario)

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has been to this new Asian supermarket that opened up in North York recently (on Don Mills Road, between Eglinton and Lawrence).

http://www.cncsupermarket.com

It's kind of hidden from the main road but it's a huge facility. The store looks quite nice and their selection and prices seem very good, compared to other mega Asian supermarkets. Online reviews appear pretty good as well: https://g.co/kgs/wJCGwu

The weird thing is that the few times that I've been there, the store never seems to have many shoppers. Despite the competitive prices and pleasant shopping experience, it just doesn't seem to draw in a crowd. They seem to do everything that, say, T&T Supermarket does yet T&T seems much busier than this place.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it the location? Wrong neighborhood demographic? Competition from the Real Canadian Superstore nearby? Lack of marketing? Low visibility from the street?
26 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24478 posts
9404 upvotes
Toronto
I went during first month of opening. It was fairly quiet too.

The prices in general is like t and t as you have said. Probably needs to do some major marketing to promote the store.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19179 posts
4258 upvotes
Thornhill
I went there recently, also to check out the new $2 Japanese-style '100-yen' store that opened next door.

The supermarket was clean and not busy, and they had some pretty good prices for what they are. Also have a good and decently priced Korean/Japanese cosmetics and beauty supplies.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Apr 26, 2010
692 posts
68 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Been there twice since it is near my grandmother's elderly home.
Stay away from the sushi, gave me food poisoning
May 7, 2008
622 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Been there twice myself - was dead on a weeknight but pretty busy on a Saturday afternoon.

This supermarket is owned by the same company as Foody Mart and so expect prices and selection to be similar. On first visit I was reasonably impressed with the quality of produce given the volume. Everything is fairly standard Chinese supermarket -nice to have another option in the area.

As for whether or not it works for the demographic - it's kinda uncertain but given that there is an Asian Legend, Pho 88, Memories of Japan, Genghis Khan Grill and now Oomomo (sp?) - the Japanese toonie store - there certainly seems like a demand for Asian goods and services if not by Asians themselves. Come to think of it a lot of the businesses aside from Shops at Don Mills along Don Mills Rd. seem to be Asian-oriented. Sunny Supermarket, another Chinese grocery is also close by in Flemingdon Plaza but it appears that they have oriented themselves towards their local Muslim customers with a Halal butcher in-store.

As an aside - another street that seems to be revitalized by East Asian businesses is Yonge St. both below Bloor and above York Mills.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14651 posts
2729 upvotes
Toronto
woofster wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 9:01 pm
The weird thing is that the few times that I've been there, the store never seems to have many shoppers.
Well now that it's been mentioned here, if prices are kept low, there just might be a lot more traffic...
[OP]
Jan 13, 2007
394 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
antihero wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 3:37 am
Been there twice myself - was dead on a weeknight but pretty busy on a Saturday afternoon.
Someone else I know had told me about the weekend being busier too. When I've gone on a weeknight, I found it pretty dead as well, sometimes with just 1 cash open (although 1 cash was probably sufficient to handle the amount of customers). I'm told the weekends are definitely busier, but I'm not sure if that's enough business for a large Asian supermarket like this to stay in business.
As for whether or not it works for the demographic - it's kinda uncertain but given that there is an Asian Legend, Pho 88, Memories of Japan, Genghis Khan Grill and now Oomomo (sp?) - the Japanese toonie store - there certainly seems like a demand for Asian goods and services if not by Asians themselves. Come to think of it a lot of the businesses aside from Shops at Don Mills along Don Mills Rd. seem to be Asian-oriented. Sunny Supermarket, another Chinese grocery is also close by in Flemingdon Plaza but it appears that they have oriented themselves towards their local Muslim customers with a Halal butcher in-store.
Based on the neighboring retailers, I would've thought they'd spill over to the supermarket for grocery shopping at one time or another too, but from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to be happening, as most of the traffic seems to be just on the weekends, as noted above.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2007
394 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 8:59 am
Well now that it's been mentioned here, if prices are kept low, there just might be a lot more traffic...
To be honest, based on the few times I've been there, it's been a really good experience, hence it kind of surprised me that it was so empty, given a lot of good things going for it (e.g. competitive prices, large selection, a lot of variety, ample parking, very clean and bright).
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24478 posts
9404 upvotes
Toronto
foodys and t and t are very quiet too on weeknights as well, esp. Monday - Thurs. ... I am talking about around 7-8pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5078 posts
1767 upvotes
Is this different from T&T Supermarket?
[OP]
Jan 13, 2007
394 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
booblehead wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 9:57 am
foodys and t and t are very quiet too on weeknights as well, esp. Monday - Thurs. ... I am talking about around 7-8pm
Are Foody Mart and T&T usually dead on weeknights too? I've gone to T&T before in the evening (like after work) only to find it just as busy as ever.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2007
394 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
choclover wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 11:17 am
Is this different from T&T Supermarket?
I don't believe it's owned by the same parent company but they are indeed very similar. This new store, C&C Supermarket, just recently opened in the Don Mills & Eglinton/Lawrence area.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24478 posts
9404 upvotes
Toronto
woofster wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 12:07 pm
Are Foody Mart and T&T usually dead on weeknights too? I've gone to T&T before in the evening (like after work) only to find it just as busy as ever.
I suppose they will be busy til around 7pm.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41071 posts
4852 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
woofster wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 12:07 pm
I feel like any grocery store is busy on weekdays from 5-7pm b/c thats the time people get off work and need to pickup a few things for dinner.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3344 posts
83 upvotes
With a RIP off name like C&C, they deserve to die.
I hope its painful and fast.

What we need are more Bestco's. Now they do it right.
The RFD Doctrine -
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
UrbanPoet: Automatic 1-Star thread starter.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.