Food & Drink

C&C Supermarket (888 Don Mills Road, North York, Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 5:14 pm
Dec 29, 2012
830 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
Blunt wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 4:59 pm
With a RIP off name like C&C, they deserve to die.
I hope its painful and fast.

What we need are more Bestco's. Now they do it right.
Except for the take-out sushi, T&T's is better (not good either but edible)
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10891 posts
1031 upvotes
It was pretty busy when I was there Saturday afternoon. Nice supermarket but at this point, all the big Chinese supermarkets are the same to me.
Jan 8, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
I came to C&C today for one primary reason: to get their pearl river bridge premium sweetened vinegar. It's on sale for $6.99. I got about $100 worth of other groceries as well, but when I got to the checkout, I realized that the vinegar they had under their PRB premium sweetened vinegar sign was PRB sweetened vinegar, the non premium kind. I intentionally went to get the premium stuff, then went back to check out. They sent me to customer service when the cash register scanned the premium stuff at regular price. At customer service, I showed them the flyer, showed them the word 'premium' in the flyer, which only had the English name of the item, BTW, and they immediately went to the sale section and took down the sign, and brought a regular sweetened vinegar back and told me that was the one on sale. I showed them that there was no premium word on it. They told me to refer to the picture in the flyer, which is of a tiny, grainy picture of the regular sweetened one. They then told me to go to the manager, who was fiddling with Chinese New Year decorations, and tell him about it. The manager's English wasn't as great as the one lady in customer service, so he didn't do anything but tell me that the one on sale was the regular one. As in he did nothing to fix the problem nor did he allow customer service to fix it. One of the customer service people pointed to their disclaimer in their flyer, which says to check the display price tags in case the flyer has errors. The display price said premium too. And they still didn't do anything about it. They just said a lot of other people bought the regular sweetened one at that price too, like because other people lost out because of C&C's mistake, I should lose out too.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24536 posts
9454 upvotes
Toronto
joannelylee728 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 5:39 pm
I came to C&C today for one primary reason: to get their pearl river bridge premium sweetened vinegar. It's on sale for $6.99. I got about $100 worth of other groceries as well, but when I got to the checkout, I realized that the vinegar they had under their PRB premium sweetened vinegar sign was PRB sweetened vinegar, the non premium kind. I intentionally went to get the premium stuff, then went back to check out. They sent me to customer service when the cash register scanned the premium stuff at regular price. At customer service, I showed them the flyer, showed them the word 'premium' in the flyer, which only had the English name of the item, BTW, and they immediately went to the sale section and took down the sign, and brought a regular sweetened vinegar back and told me that was the one on sale. I showed them that there was no premium word on it. They told me to refer to the picture in the flyer, which is of a tiny, grainy picture of the regular sweetened one. They then told me to go to the manager, who was fiddling with Chinese New Year decorations, and tell him about it. The manager's English wasn't as great as the one lady in customer service, so he didn't do anything but tell me that the one on sale was the regular one. As in he did nothing to fix the problem nor did he allow customer service to fix it. One of the customer service people pointed to their disclaimer in their flyer, which says to check the display price tags in case the flyer has errors. The display price said premium too. And they still didn't do anything about it. They just said a lot of other people bought the regular sweetened one at that price too, like because other people lost out because of C&C's mistake, I should lose out too.
I suppose if you are really pissed off about the whole thing, you could have returned ALL the merchandise you bought for full refund and go elsewhere to shop. Sweet revenge.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5340 posts
1219 upvotes
Mississauga
joannelylee728 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 5:39 pm
you need to expect a certain level of customer service based on where you go.... so for an Asian grocery, the level is basement...lol
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2769 posts
113 upvotes
Reinforcements have arrived. New shopping options!

I am planning to have a potluck this weekend so I'll check this place out.
I post, you decide.
Feb 25, 2012
38 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I went and got a pound of BBQ pork but I didn't pay attention when the counter guy confirmed what I ordered.
I ended up with a box of really fat/ greasy lard with soggy skin... That's labeled "BBQ Crispy Pork"
I guess that's why the old ladies in front of me took so long to order as she picked through the options and stuck her nose over the counter to make sure that there were no surprises.

It was frustrating because I didn't realize it until I got back into my car...
(Marginally better than T&T's BBQ pork...neither are edible)
May 12, 2014
788 posts
410 upvotes
Markham, ON
Trooko wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 3:27 pm
I went and got a pound of BBQ pork but I didn't pay attention when the counter guy confirmed what I ordered.
I ended up with a box of really fat/ greasy lard with soggy skin... That's labeled "BBQ Crispy Pork"
I guess that's why the old ladies in front of me took so long to order as she picked through the options and stuck her nose over the counter to make sure that there were no surprises.

It was frustrating because I didn't realize it until I got back into my car...
(Marginally better than T&T's BBQ pork...neither are edible)
You sound like a BBQ pork aficionado. Where have you had good Chinese BBQ pork?
Feb 25, 2012
38 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Face With Tears Of Joy Lol, anything but an aficionado/ foodie.
Just an RFD-er that gets annoyed when they don't get what they paid for.
I just wanted something crispy.

I grew up in Edmonton, which I thought have decent BBQ pork places.
Edmonton is not the best but that's my benchmark.
(The best being Hong Kong and Vancouver)

Within Toronto (haven't went to Markham for BBQ pork yet),
I've tried Sing Sing BBQ, Wok & Roast, Duck (College Park), House of Gourmet, Hong Fatt, Goldstone, T&T( Downtown) and Al Premium Food Mart.
I think restaurants are all acceptable and around the same level <- I feel they do at least some quality check all their product before going to customers.

However, I have not had any luck with the supermarket BBQ porks and have gotten super rubbery pork skin/ pieces of fat and no meat/ no marinate.etc
At the same time, I can't blame the people cooking/ counter staff as they are just workers and the management are clearly grocery experts with no restaurant experience.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10891 posts
1031 upvotes
Trooko wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 9:52 pm
Face With Tears Of Joy Lol, anything but an aficionado/ foodie.
Just an RFD-er that gets annoyed when they don't get what they paid for.
I just wanted something crispy.

I grew up in Edmonton, which I thought have decent BBQ pork places.
Edmonton is not the best but that's my benchmark.
(The best being Hong Kong and Vancouver)

Within Toronto (haven't went to Markham for BBQ pork yet),
I've tried Sing Sing BBQ, Wok & Roast, Duck (College Park), House of Gourmet, Hong Fatt, Goldstone, T&T( Downtown) and Al Premium Food Mart.
I think restaurants are all acceptable and around the same level <- I feel they do at least some quality check all their product before going to customers.

However, I have not had any luck with the supermarket BBQ porks and have gotten super rubbery pork skin/ pieces of fat and no meat/ no marinate.etc
At the same time, I can't blame the people cooking/ counter staff as they are just workers and the management are clearly grocery experts with no restaurant experience.
Try ho ho BBQ. I also like the take out stall in peanut plaza. It's right outside the Chinese grocery store. Congee queen surprisingly good too. I wouldn't order this from any grocery store.
Nov 4, 2008
307 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
I just dropped by over the weekend. The place is still pretty clean and the produce is good. Great selection of Chinese vegetables, which I was primarily going there for. I also picked up some Chinese buns from their bakery and they were great. LKK soy sauce was also on sale for $0.88 (500ml), which is a great price. I'll definitely go back whenever I need Asian groceries.

I can't comment on the hot food as I didn't buy any. I usually try to avoid supermarket steam tables. T&T and BestCo have been alright for some of their steam table options, but that's about it.

Also, having Oomomo nearby is also nice.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10341 posts
2619 upvotes
Markham
booblehead wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 9:57 am
foodys and t and t are very quiet too on weeknights as well, esp. Monday - Thurs. ... I am talking about around 7-8pm
That was usually the time I go after work when I used to go pick up the packed food in special and the bakery, buns in special. lol
Yes, it is more quiet than you go during the day...and not comparable if you go on wk-ends...
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015