• Mar 22nd, 2017 12:39 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
21981 posts
4449 upvotes
GTHA

“Top Gear America” produced by BBC Worldwide ordered

BBC America’s “Top Gear America,” produced by BBC Worldwide, will be hosted by William Fichtner, world champion drag racer Antron Brown, and British automotive journalist Tom “Wookie” Ford. The three will race various vehicles along the scenic highways and historic tracks of the American west and, in “Top Gear” tradition, each episode will feature a celebrity guest racing around a track in an attempt to beat other celebrities’ times and will include the presence of mysterious masked driver The Stig.

from http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/top-gea ... 202011923/

“Top Gear America” will premiere on BBC America later this year.

Anyone going to watch this?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1101 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
I kinda like the American host, what happened to them?

I'll give this show a go and see.
Feb 19, 2017
167 posts
77 upvotes
There is no way I will bother with this. Top Gear was great because the hosts were hilarious and had a great dynamic. Then BBC got rid of them in what is probably the worst business decisions ever. Then the show basically went to Amazon and aside from minor growing pains is amazing there. The replacement hosts they got for the UK version blow and I see no reason this one will be different
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
6857 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
I really enjoy William Fichtner's performances. Every movie, and tv show has been a blast. I might assume that the same could be said for TGA, or that's what the BBC is shooting for. This is just another attempt to attract more TG fans. The BBC needs to hope that this doesn't flake out like the Chris Evans cake.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Feb 10, 2015
599 posts
216 upvotes
I really enjoyed the Top Gear USA format with Adam, Tanner and Rutledge. Honestly I thought it was better than the original.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2784 posts
674 upvotes
Toronto
LoANeal wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:16 pm
There is no way I will bother with this. Top Gear was great because the hosts were hilarious and had a great dynamic. Then BBC got rid of them in what is probably the worst business decisions ever. Then the show basically went to Amazon and aside from minor growing pains is amazing there. The replacement hosts they got for the UK version blow and I see no reason this one will be different
Agree and disagree. BBC Top Gear with the old hosts had some of the best production values I have ever seen in a TV show. The lighting, camera angles and effects they used were creative and cutting edge. The hosts were hilarious because they had an amazing production crew behind them, and some of the humour came from them trying to skirt around the script and trying to be crude and restrained at the same time.

In the Grand Tour they have a larger budget, but they've lost all the magic of the BBC production. The production values are good, but all effects and camera angles are just predictable and standard. It's all slick and smooth and well done, but there's nothing creative or cutting edge there anymore. The hosts are just let loose which makes them crude and unfunny. They don't need to be clever anymore. I guess it plays well with an American audience, but anyone looking for some hints of sophistication (which the BBC production always had hidden underneath the juvenile antics) walk away disappointed.

As much as Amazon and BBC will keep trying, nothing will recapture what Top Gear was with Jeremy, James and Richard. That's in the past - it's done - it's over. I enjoy reruns of old episodes over any of these new attempts.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 10:38 am
Agree and disagree. BBC Top Gear with the old hosts had some of the best production values I have ever seen in a TV show. The lighting, camera angles and effects they used were creative and cutting edge. The hosts were hilarious because they had an amazing production crew behind them, and some of the humour came from them trying to skirt around the script and trying to be crude and restrained at the same time.

In the Grand Tour they have a larger budget, but they've lost all the magic of the BBC production. The production values are good, but all effects and camera angles are just predictable and standard. It's all slick and smooth and well done, but there's nothing creative or cutting edge there anymore. The hosts are just let loose which makes them crude and unfunny. They don't need to be clever anymore. I guess it plays well with an American audience, but anyone looking for some hints of sophistication (which the BBC production always had hidden underneath the juvenile antics) walk away disappointed.

As much as Amazon and BBC will keep trying, nothing will recapture what Top Gear was with Jeremy, James and Richard. That's in the past - it's done - it's over. I enjoy reruns of old episodes over any of these new attempts.
I agree with most of this until the last paragraph. Clarkson and company were sometimes funny but not always so. Some of their Top Gear segments were really, really tedious but the production of the show by the BBC crew was and still is exceptional. The new hosts of Top Gear (Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid) are doing a great job that gets better with each episode!
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1209 posts
539 upvotes
Richmond
I wish they would go back to more practical everyday reviews and challenges. I'd rather see "buy a practical car and then take it to an antiques swap meet and see what's the biggest thing you can buy and stuff into your car" than "drive along the deserted African coast and through the desert along with a huge support and production crew off-screen". It's occasionally fine to see the latest $500K supercar cruising around a closed track while the reviewer waxes poetic about it, but it doesn't hold enough interest for the average gearhead to make it the mainstay of the show.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2784 posts
674 upvotes
Toronto
Jimbobs wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:04 am
I agree with most of this until the last paragraph. Clarkson and company were sometimes funny but not always so. Some of their Top Gear segments were really, really tedious but the production of the show by the BBC crew was and still is exceptional. The new hosts of Top Gear (Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid) are doing a great job that gets better with each episode!
I do agree that the old hosts weren't always funny, but they stayed at a fairly consistent level for a long time, so a few misses here and there had to be expected. I definitely agree that what always made TG great was the BBC production crew. I haven't watched the newest TG yet after the latest host change. Definitely have to give that try. I gave Chris Evans one episode and I gave up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:17 pm
I do agree that the old hosts weren't always funny, but they stayed at a fairly consistent level for a long time, so a few misses here and there had to be expected. I definitely agree that what always made TG great was the BBC production crew. I haven't watched the newest TG yet after the latest host change. Definitely have to give that try. I gave Chris Evans one episode and I gave up.
I would definitely encourage you to watch the new series 24. There have been 3 episodes already and I think they're all pretty good. Plus, watch the Extra Gear episodes if you can.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5934 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Faith24 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:08 pm
I wish they would go back to more practical everyday reviews and challenges. I'd rather see "buy a practical car and then take it to an antiques swap meet and see what's the biggest thing you can buy and stuff into your car" than "drive along the deserted African coast and through the desert along with a huge support and production crew off-screen". It's occasionally fine to see the latest $500K supercar cruising around a closed track while the reviewer waxes poetic about it, but it doesn't hold enough interest for the average gearhead to make it the mainstay of the show.
It's got to be a balance of all of those things. Dropping the supercars is not acceptable to some while the other stuff is boring to others. The trick is getting the balance right and the BBC seems to be pretty good at that.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel