2499 posts
380 upvotes
GTA

CAA South Central Ontario - 2 Basic Membership for $69+HST

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
CAA
Past discussion of this deal is in "expired deals", but I received actual mail letting me know this is still going on

- 2 Basic Memberships - 4 calls with 10KM tow yearly
- Trunk Organizer (love this from last time I took this deal)
- Initially charge is $79 + HST, you save another $10 when you agree to automatically renew using your credit card on-file
15 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14950 posts
860 upvotes
Scarborough
basic coverage with 10km tow is pretty useless you don't drive your car much and you're always within 10km from your garage
any extra distance will cost per km with a base charge and you end up paying at least $30... added on to this annual fee, you might as well have gone for more comprehensive coverage with 200km tow distance.

further adding to this, the CanTire Road Assistance is on sale for 50% off, so the gold coverage (with 200 or 250km towing coverage i don't rmb specifically off top of my head) is only $49.99 right now.
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Aug 30, 2015
125 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
actng wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 11:39 am
basic coverage with 10km tow is pretty useless you don't drive your car much and you're always within 10km from your garage
any extra distance will cost per km with a base charge and you end up paying at least $30... added on to this annual fee, you might as well have gone for more comprehensive coverage with 200km tow distance.

further adding to this, the CanTire Road Assistance is on sale for 50% off, so the gold coverage (with 200 or 250km towing coverage i don't rmb specifically off top of my head) is only $49.99 right now.
hi there where can I see this 50% off?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16243 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
Better to switch to CT's Gold plan at 50% off; which allows 250km tow.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1163 posts
653 upvotes
People should keep in mind one major difference between CT roadside assistance and CAA roadside assistance:
- CT roadside assistance goes with (and is tied to) the car, regardless of who drives the car or rides in it;
- CAA roadside assistance goes with (and is tied to) the person (whether driver or passenger), regardless of what car they are in.

Based on your personal circumstances, one choice (from the above two) might be much more useful for you than the other.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2008
2201 posts
88 upvotes
Brampton
CT roadside assistance you can be waiting for hours, or if you're not in the city, they might not help you, especially on weekends.
I've had that happen to me last winter. Trying to get a tow from Brampton to Markham, told me to find another company and they'll reimburse me.... Took 2 months to get my money back
BLOWOUT! Jordans, Nike SB, Blazers, Lebrons, Kobes, Roshe Runs + MORE!
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/6-21-jor ... tc-580529/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16243 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
ahoroba wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 12:15 pm
People should keep in mind one major difference between CT roadside assistance and CAA roadside assistance:
- CT roadside assistance goes with (and is tied to) the car, regardless of who drives the car or rides in it;
- CAA roadside assistance goes with (and is tied to) the person (whether driver or passenger), regardless of what car they are in.

Based on your personal circumstances, one choice (from the above two) might be much more useful for you than the other.
For the amount you would have to pay to tow more than 10km with CAA, I'm ok buying a CT plan for every vehicle at 50% off.
Jul 3, 2002
324 posts
239 upvotes
Bought Canadian tire last 2 years and finally used it twice in the last month. Going back to CAA!!
Cannot describe the difference in customer service between the 2 but I'll try. We had CAA for 10 years before so I can tell you the difference. We switched because of the price but we've never had to tow a car more than 10km so please take that into consideration. As well CAA offers a cheaper price now for 2 memberships if you have multiple cars.

1. Wait time. Both time in the last month (in Toronto) I've waiting almost an hour past their predicted time which was one hour - once was 1:40 & once was 1:50 wait times. These were normal fays. The longest I ever waited with CAA was 2 hours and that was on a blizzard day and at least they had a battery to replace my dead one.

2. The tow truck. Oh my God I've never seen so many emergency lights on in any truck let alone the truck that's towing my car. I really wish I had taken a picture but the engine light was on, the brake light and one other I don't know what it was. As well a warning kept flashing something about the airbags not working. Thank God I was only about 3km from my mechanic. To be fair the first truck in the month was fine I believe. I just got a boost so not sure. It was a huge flatbed.

3. The people. Both guys were not overjoyed or even happy with what they were doing. Grumpy might be an understatement. First guy was fine. Not unhappy but not happy either. The second guy was close to miserable and kept bitching about having to go out to Mississauga to tow some dude to Brampton. Felt sorry for that dude. Every time I ever had a CAA guy come they were always pleasant and always apologized if they were late.

CAA keeps sending me these offers so we will be switching back
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16243 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
FARMERBLANCHE wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 1:45 pm
Bought Canadian tire last 2 years and finally used it twice in the last month. Going back to CAA!!
Cannot describe the difference in customer service between the 2 but I'll try. We had CAA for 10 years before so I can tell you the difference. We switched because of the price but we've never had to tow a car more than 10km so please take that into consideration. As well CAA offers a cheaper price now for 2 memberships if you have multiple cars.

1. Wait time. Both time in the last month (in Toronto) I've waiting almost an hour past their predicted time which was one hour - once was 1:40 & once was 1:50 wait times. These were normal fays. The longest I ever waited with CAA was 2 hours and that was on a blizzard day and at least they had a battery to replace my dead one.

2. The tow truck. Oh my God I've never seen so many emergency lights on in any truck let alone the truck that's towing my car. I really wish I had taken a picture but the engine light was on, the brake light and one other I don't know what it was. As well a warning kept flashing something about the airbags not working. Thank God I was only about 3km from my mechanic. To be fair the first truck in the month was fine I believe. I just got a boost so not sure. It was a huge flatbed.

3. The people. Both guys were not overjoyed or even happy with what they were doing. Grumpy might be an understatement. First guy was fine. Not unhappy but not happy either. The second guy was close to miserable and kept bitching about having to go out to Mississauga to tow some dude to Brampton. Felt sorry for that dude. Every time I ever had a CAA guy come they were always pleasant and always apologized if they were late.

CAA keeps sending me these offers so we will be switching back
Thanks for your feedback, seems like CT is still the better deal.
Jul 3, 2002
324 posts
239 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 1:52 pm
Thanks for your feedback, seems like CT is still the better deal.
Possibly...if you have 1 car and time is not as important as saving $30 and when you do need a tow, it is over 10km. Oh and you don't mind tow trucks that would never pass a car inspection than ya. Canadian tire all the wayGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes

We never had a problem with CAA except for the higher price. I think we were paying $150 for their middle package for years. Although I did get 2 free batteries out of them since they have a 4 year warranty on the ones they sell to you and we had 2 that conked out just before.

For me level of service and time is way more important than saving $100. Or in this case Canadian tire would be $30 more expensive for our 2 cars. If my car dies on me in the middle of my day that's worth way more than $100 to have someone there in a hurry. And I know CAA is no way near as fast as they use to be but they are definitely faster than Canadian tire.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16243 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
FARMERBLANCHE wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:39 pm
Possibly...if you have 1 car and time is not as important as saving $30 and when you do need a tow, it is over 10km. Oh and you don't mind tow trucks that would never pass a car inspection than ya. Canadian tire all the wayGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes

We never had a problem with CAA except for the higher price. I think we were paying $150 for their middle package for years. Although I did get 2 free batteries out of them since they have a 4 year warranty on the ones they sell to you and we had 2 that conked out just before.

For me level of service and time is way more important than saving $100. Or in this case Canadian tire would be $30 more expensive for our 2 cars. If my car dies on me in the middle of my day that's worth way more than $100 to have someone there in a hurry. And I know CAA is no way near as fast as they use to be but they are definitely faster than Canadian tire.
I bought the CT package as a backup plan for the 250km tow, as I still have factory 5yr roadside assistance (to the nearest dealership) and free roadside with my VISA up to 10km.
My priority would be to get my vehicles to my preferred shop and I would rather wait a few hours if required, than dealing with a headache at a shop that I don't have any experience with.
Mar 20, 2016
1 posts
Please note that in basic membership might not cover flatbed service. The issue is that many modern cars (esp 4x4 or awd) require flatbed service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2499 posts
380 upvotes
GTA
bubbamcphee wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 9:09 am
Please note that in basic membership might not cover flatbed service. The issue is that many modern cars (esp 4x4 or awd) require flatbed service.
Not true, CAA basic includes flatbeds for cars such as Subaru
Jan 27, 2010
119 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Is there ever a deal for the Plus membership? Basic sounds too basic, esp with the 10km and fewer service calls per year.
Just looking for something for an old car that's close to retirement.