Expired Hot Deals

[Cabelas] Gamo® Red Alert 1911 Air Pistol (Full Metal Body -$59.99, Reg 119.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 12:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3463 posts
1608 upvotes
Vancouver

[Cabelas] Gamo® Red Alert 1911 Air Pistol (Full Metal Body -$59.99, Reg 119.99)

36 replies
Jul 21, 2016
488 posts
758 upvotes
Leask
I'm curious, would one of those be strong enough to "scare" a burglar if I shot at him a couple of time? Or it will just hurt enough to make them even more mad? Lol sorry for the stupid question, I know nothing about BB gun.
Secondary question if they are too weak: Would they be fine for shooting at squirrel WITHOUT hurting them (Just annoy them)? (Goal is the get them to leave the birds feeders alone)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9516 posts
2880 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
PatrickB012050 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:03 pm
I'm curious, would one of those be strong enough to "scare" a burglar if I shot at him a couple of time? Or it will just hurt enough to make them even more mad? Lol sorry for the stupid question, I know nothing about BB gun.
Secondary question if they are too weak: Would they be fine for shooting at squirrel WITHOUT hurting them (Just annoy them)? (Goal is the get them to leave the birds feeders alone)
Don't have a definive answer for you. However, please don't shoot at animals. Burglar, go right ahead.

Got this on last sale. It looks like a real thing. Blowback too. I am sure in a heat of a moment if you pull it out burglar will more than likely think its a real thing. No need to actually shoot it, it will do its thing with appearance alone. I would guess that it can pierce skin, even with clothes on.
Last edited by Andro on Apr 14th, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 27, 2017
187 posts
73 upvotes
I was going to buy it last time, the reviews don’t seem so well tho. Reviewers said the body isn’t metal only the mechanism is?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9516 posts
2880 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
SherlockDeals wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:17 pm
I was going to buy it last time, the reviews don’t seem so well tho. Reviewers said the body isn’t metal only the mechanism is?
Its actually feels solid in the hand. You'll swear its all metal. Not sure if its full metal, but feels great. I am not a pro or a collector though, but its good enough for me. When you consider the price, really hard to complain. Has blowback.
Mar 29, 2013
119 posts
27 upvotes
Oshawa
PatrickB012050 wrote:
So, I'm pretty sure both of those things are illegal.

Lets imagine a burglar showed up to your house and you pull out your "gun". What are the odds the burglar has his own, real, gun?
Jul 27, 2017
187 posts
73 upvotes
Andro wrote: Its actually feels solid in the hand. You'll swear its all metal. Not sure if its full metal, but feels great. I am not a pro or a collector though, but its good enough for me. When you consider the price, really hard to complain. Has blowback.
Thanks I guess I might give it a go!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9516 posts
2880 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
PilotInTraining wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:19 pm
So, I'm pretty sure both of those things are illegal.

Lets imagine a burglar showed up to your house and you pull out your "gun". What are the odds the burglar has his own, real, gun?
I would agree on legalities with you. However, if you look confident and tell burglar to scram, more than likely they will, even if they are packing. At that point, it becomes a real risk for them to take out their piece and hope you are a poor shot or that you have a BB gun, etc. There would probably be a distance of few meters between you too, making it almost impossible to tell. This gun looks very convincing up close, more so from distance.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9516 posts
2880 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
SherlockDeals wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:22 pm
Thanks I guess I might give it a go!
No problem. Just please don't point/shoot at animals and/or people. Btw, air canisters are priced very nicely at Canadian Tire. Under $10 for around 3, last I checked. This gun comes with few steel balls already, so you'll have few of those.
Last edited by Andro on Apr 14th, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
1148 posts
256 upvotes
Calgary
PatrickB012050 wrote:
You would probably get charged with discharging a firearm in city limits (squirrel) and at a person, even though it is not a firearm.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9516 posts
2880 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Battscrew wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:35 pm
You would probably get charged with discharging a firearm in city limits (squirrel) and at a person, even though it is not a firearm.
Charged with using a weapon probably, not a firearm. This does not fall under firearm definition, hence no need for permit to buy one. Either way, good idea not to discharge or aim it at any live being.
Dec 30, 2017
119 posts
110 upvotes
If you use something in the manner of a firearm it magically becomes a firearm under Canadian law, so better be pretty damn sure it’s a bad guy and have your lawyer on speed dial.
Last edited by Rubberbiscuit on Apr 14th, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9516 posts
2880 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Rubberbiscuit wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:40 pm
If you use something like a firearm it magically becomes a firearm under Canadian law, so better be pretty damn sure it’s a bad guy and have your lawyer on speed dial.
It does not become a firearm unless it is a firearm. Anything other than a firearm would become a weapon though.
Dec 30, 2017
119 posts
110 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 8:41 pm
It does not become a firearm unless it is a firearm. Anything other than a firearm would become a weapon though.
See http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm#a4

"Some of these items are exempted from the definition only if they were designed exclusively for a specific purpose and are intended to be used exclusively for that purpose by the person who possesses it. However, all of the items listed below are considered to be firearms if used in a criminal or negligent manner." (emphasis added)
Air guns and other barreled weapons designed to have:
A muzzle velocity of 152.4 meters per second or less and/or
A muzzle energy of 5.7 joules or less.