Hot Deals

[Cabelas] Masterbuilt MES 130B Electric Smoker $229.99. Less 10% if PM'd.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2019 1:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9577 posts
2268 upvotes

[Cabelas] Masterbuilt MES 130B Electric Smoker $229.99. Less 10% if PM'd.

This is a well rated electric smoker at a great price.

I PM'd at Home Depot today and got an extra 10% off. If you are looking for a smoker of a deal, this is close.

Winking Face

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/105669/m ... CatId=2548
25 replies
Nov 21, 2001
728 posts
74 upvotes
Markham
Been looking to buy one for a while. Looks like a great intro smoker!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9577 posts
2268 upvotes
groo wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 9:57 am
Been looking to buy one for a while. Looks like a great intro smoker!
Same.

I have never smoked before but have always wanted one. Seems like a good entry level model and with the PM I paid less than the US price. Pretty happy with the deal.

Here is a review FYI

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/masterb ... er-review/
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2368 posts
971 upvotes
West Coast
Pretty good find. It was 199.99 during BF, although given this is a normal sale, it's a good price.

This is an older generation cabinet with the newer 2.5 internals.

I've been running a big 6 rack 40 inch model (US only) with the amazen tray for well over a year and love it. Highly recommend moving to pellets over conventional wood chips via the stock loader.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Nov 21, 2001
728 posts
74 upvotes
Markham
Richfields wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:12 am
I've been running a big 6 rack 40 inch model (US only) with the amazen tray for well over a year and love it. Highly recommend moving to pellets over conventional wood chips via the stock loader.
Can you put pellets in the loader? I have an a-maze-n tube that I was using in my gas BBQ. Think I'll have to upgrade to the amnps with this masterbuilt.

Looks like I'm heading to Home Depot tonight.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9577 posts
2268 upvotes
Richfields wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:12 am
What's the advantage of pellets? Better taste?

I'm new so would appreciate your thoughts.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2368 posts
971 upvotes
West Coast
groo wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:50 am
Can you put pellets in the loader? I have an a-maze-n tube that I was using in my gas BBQ. Think I'll have to upgrade to the amnps with this masterbuilt.

Looks like I'm heading to Home Depot tonight.
Pellets should not go in the stock loader. Pellets burn differently (ie hotter) than wood chips and have been known to cause fires. I have seen some folks us them in their loader and they haven't burnt down yet, but not worth the risk in my opinion given how (relatively) cheap the pellet tray/tubes are. With you having a tube already makes it even easier, although I vastly prefer the tray over the tube as it burns more evenly and for longer, plus uses less pellets in the process.
Last edited by Richfields on Mar 19th, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2368 posts
971 upvotes
West Coast
kool1 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 12:14 pm
What's the advantage of pellets? Better taste?

I'm new so would appreciate your thoughts.
I think the biggest advantage is consistency and lack of babysitting. My pellet tray can run for 10+ hours when filled, compared to the 45 mins or so that the stock loader needs to be refilled with chips. Also, the pellets smoke the whole time compared to only when the element is on. Although the on/off isn't that much of an issue at higher temps, smoking at lower temps means longer "off" times and therefore inconsistent smoke. You can also cold smoke with the pellet tray/tubes too.

Pellets are also pretty cheap. Many quality pellets are 30-40 dollars for a 40 pound bag. A pound will give me over 10 hours of active smoking, so that's roughly a dime an hour of smoke. Chips aren't expensive, but I believe they are a bit more than a dime per handful.

I bought the MES with the plan of using the pellet tray from the start and I've never looked back. Easier and more consistent flavor for less money, and with less time. Seems like a no-brainer imo.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I'm no expert, but I feel like a fair a decent amount of knowledge and experience with this units as I really love my unit and use it 1-3x a week year-round.

Happy smoking
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9577 posts
2268 upvotes
Richfields wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 1:40 pm
I think the biggest advantage is consistency and lack of babysitting. My pellet tray can run for 10+ hours when filled, compared to the 45 mins or so that the stock loader needs to be refilled with chips. Also, the pellets smoke the whole time compared to only when the element is on. Although the on/off isn't that much of an issue at higher temps, smoking at lower temps means longer "off" times and therefore inconsistent smoke. You can also cold smoke with the pellet tray/tubes too.

Pellets are also pretty cheap. Many quality pellets are 30-40 dollars for a 40 pound bag. A pound will give me over 10 hours of active smoking, so that's roughly a dime an hour of smoke. Chips aren't expensive, but I believe they are a bit more than a dime per handful.

I bought the MES with the plan of using the pellet tray from the start and I've never looked back. Easier and more consistent flavor for less money, and with less time. Seems like a no-brainer imo.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I'm no expert, but I feel like a fair a decent amount of knowledge and experience with this units as I really love my unit and use it 1-3x a week year-round.

Happy smoking
Thank you.

Where is a good place to get pellets? Just Home Depot?
May 11, 2008
143 posts
46 upvotes
Milton
kool1 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 1:58 pm
Thank you.

You can buy them at Costco if you want:
https://www.costco.ca/Traeger-Gourmet-B ... 79945.html

https://www.costco.ca/Pit-Boss-Hickory- ... 27321.html

https://www.costco.ca/Pit-Boss-Apple-Na ... 27320.html

https://www.costco.ca/Pit-Boss-Competit ... 27300.html

Also, any bbq store also usually sells them as they would sell pellet grills and smokers too.
Cheers 'n Beers.
Haz.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2368 posts
971 upvotes
West Coast
kool1 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 1:58 pm
Thank you.

Home Depot or Walmart carries the pitboss brand. Those are typically better reviewed than the Traegar brands since Traegar uses "flavoring oils" in some of theirs and not just wood. I buy my pellets from Amazon and usually get the "Cookinpellets" brand. They are well known in the states and usually reasonable on Amazon. Unfortunately, they've jumped a bit recently and are now about 75 a bag, although I don't expect that to be at that price forever. Once this bag is done I might still pay the premium as I love the "perfect mix" they make and I use so few per smoke that it's only a few more cents per cook.

Lumberjack pellets are well regarded as well and I believe those can be found at Lowe's and Home Hardware. As Pilothaz mentioned, they are usually widely available once you start looking for them.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3549 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
For an electric smoker, do I have to weatherproof it? ie. Covering it up when it rains, store it away in the winter, etc.
Nov 21, 2001
728 posts
74 upvotes
Markham
Home Depot will only match the price, not beat it.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2239 posts
735 upvotes
North York
@richfields how often do you need to add water? noticed that with a friend's slick new pellet smoker we still needed to replenish water regularly.