Expired Hot Deals

[Cabelas] Masterbuilt MES 130B Electric Smoker $229.99. Less 10% if PM'd.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2019 1:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9676 posts
2363 upvotes
Richfields wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 2:35 pm
Home Depot or Walmart carries the pitboss brand. Those are typically better reviewed than the Traegar brands since Traegar uses "flavoring oils" in some of theirs and not just wood. I buy my pellets from Amazon and usually get the "Cookinpellets" brand. They are well known in the states and usually reasonable on Amazon. Unfortunately, they've jumped a bit recently and are now about 75 a bag, although I don't expect that to be at that price forever. Once this bag is done I might still pay the premium as I love the "perfect mix" they make and I use so few per smoke that it's only a few more cents per cook.

Lumberjack pellets are well regarded as well and I believe those can be found at Lowe's and Home Hardware. As Pilothaz mentioned, they are usually widely available once you start looking for them.
Great info. Thanks again.

I'm getting excited to try this thing out on a few big racks of ribs. Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2408 posts
1006 upvotes
West Coast
thephenom wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 3:17 pm
For an electric smoker, do I have to weatherproof it? ie. Covering it up when it rains, store it away in the winter, etc.

Yes, especially the control module.

If yiure leaving it outside I'd suggest having it well covered and up on blocks or some sort of a stand so your cover can hang below the bottom part of the smoker.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2408 posts
1006 upvotes
West Coast
quazy wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 6:55 pm
@richfields how often do you need to add water? noticed that with a friend's slick new pellet smoker we still needed to replenish water regularly.
I never have water in it, although I'm using pellets and not the stock chip tray. Never had an issue with dry food.

I actually cover my drip pan and element cover in foil for easy cleanup.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2263 posts
861 upvotes
Sudbury
Word to the wise.

I started with an electric Masterbuilt Smoker and eventually went to a Weber Kettle with charcoal.

Charcoal indirect smoking > electric smoking

I wish I would of just bought the kettle at the beginning.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2408 posts
1006 upvotes
West Coast
kanewtz wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 7:41 pm
Word to the wise.

I started with an electric Masterbuilt Smoker and eventually went to a Weber Kettle with charcoal.

Charcoal is great for sure, although the simplicity (and accuracy) of electric make it great for year-round use and when you want to take it easy. Charcoal isn't necessarily hard, but it's a lot more work than pushing a few buttons.

I'm not trying to fuel the debate on what's better than the other as both have their place and their more suited situations.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9676 posts
2363 upvotes
kanewtz wrote:
Word to the wise.

I wanted to give it all a whirl and electric seemed like the obvious choice for a beginner. If I like it I can always trade up down the road.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2006
1019 posts
234 upvotes
Montreal
kanewtz wrote:
Word to the wise.

The exact opposite here.

I went from a Weber to an electric Cookshack and have never looked back.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9676 posts
2363 upvotes
Xcessiv wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:32 am
The exact opposite here.

I went from a Weber to an electric Cookshack and have never looked back.
Good to hear

I have watched a lot of Youtube videos and the results seem to be decent on these Masterbuilt units.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2408 posts
1006 upvotes
West Coast
kool1 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 8:24 am
Good to hear

I have watched a lot of Youtube videos and the results seem to be decent on these Masterbuilt units.
For sure.

They're solid units and if/when there are issues Masterbuilt has amazing customer service. Call their hotline and report the issue and they often mail out replacement parts the same day. I've had a new controller and a new door sent to me without question, so no complaints there. I was surprised to get a new door as just the top moulding started to crack and I expected to get a replacement moulding but a whole damn door was sent. I was impressed lol.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9676 posts
2363 upvotes
All good to hear.

Need to grab some wood this weekend and get started if the weather hold. :-)
Dec 11, 2005
72 posts
11 upvotes
kanewtz wrote:
Word to the wise.

I totally agree, I bought the red anniversary 22 last year and with the addition of a charcoal chimney, best purchase ever. I use fire bricks to separate the charcoal off to the side. The smoke/indirect heat has created some amazing meals. I smoked a prime rib and Christmas and it was amazing. The charcoal chimney goes on my gas burner and within a few minutes I have charcoal that is ready to cook. Periodic addition of wood chips on the charcoal for long cooks adds that little extra something. For long smokes, I also enjoy using different fruit wood chunks,