Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1365 posts
501 upvotes

[Cabelas] Pflueger President XT Spinning Reel-$76.99

Great deal on a fantastic reel. 10 bearings, various sizes. Have this reel on a few of my rods, smooth as can be.
7 replies
Jan 3, 2012
608 posts
217 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Bought this because it is a nice price and price had gone up since. However I find that it is not as smooth as the Shimano Nasci reel I got about a month ago (from Ali Express and about same price).
Apr 18, 2008
362 posts
486 upvotes
BC
kopi0 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 12:03 pm
Bought this because it is a nice price and price had gone up since. However I find that it is not as smooth as the Shimano Nasci reel I got about a month ago (from Ali Express and about same price).
Which seller did you go with? What size did you get? I was looking at a 500 but some sellers are not properly displaying the 500 (calling it "other)

Nothing hurts quite like OOS.
May 4, 2001
17 posts
19 upvotes
A spinning reel with 6+ ball bearings will initially be smoother but the better spinning reels only have 3-5 ball bearings. Sand and grit get into the bearings and eventually destroy the reel's smoothness. I have a cheap Shimano Sycopate 2000 that literally lasted forever (and is still going strong). Simple design, great build quality, and indestructible. Just look at the Penn SS series. Simple design and built to last. IMHO if you over-spend on fishing gear you're always afraid to use it because you're afraid to scratch your ruin your expensive fishing gear. Fishing is a hobby meant to be enjoyed by everyone at a minimal cost.
Last edited by wilson on Mar 29th, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 23, 2019
66 posts
26 upvotes
Leafs Nation
I have a KastKing Summer 500 reel, for which I paid ~$25, and it's adequate for the trout fishing that I do.
Jun 16, 2012
367 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto. ON
wilson wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 2:24 pm
A spinning reel with 6+ ball bearings will initially be smoother but the better spinning reels only have 3-5 ball bearings. Sand and grit get into the bearings and eventually destroy the reel's smoothness. I have a cheap Shimano Sycopate 2000 that literally lasted forever (and is still going strong). Simple design, great build quality, and indestructible. Just look at the Penn SS series. Simple design and built to last. IMHO if you over-spend on fishing gear you're always afraid to use it because you're afraid to scratch your ruin your expensive fishing gear. Fishing is a hobby meant to be enjoyed by everyone at a minimal cost.

Yes and no.. Quality of bearing is more important, than quantity. Having more lower ABEC rated bearings isn't as good as having less higher rated bearings, as you'll have to replace the lower rated ones quicker, as well with corrosion resistance specs. All bearings being equal, the more puts less stress on the reel. I have a cousin who fishes tuna regularly overseas, and I've seen first hand crappy far east bearings on reels he lets newbs use. You won't notice much on a 500-1000 size spinning reel fishing perch and bass, but on a level wind hauling in a 500lb fish, you'll see it when you take the reel apart with the naked eye.

The best reels are the best ones you can afford. I usually give everyone the same advice, on a specific budget (spinning/baitcast/levelwind) upgrade the reel a little at the sacrifice of the rod. Vice versa with fly fishing stuff, where put a few extra on the rod taken outta the reel budget.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2215 posts
997 upvotes
Scarborough
No, I don’t have a time machine, but I did get the pfluegger supreme xt for the same price. Watch it on amazon, it drops fairly often