Expired Hot Deals

[Cabelas] Thermacell patio shield repeller

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2019 9:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2009
1271 posts
388 upvotes
London Area
bb_00 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 2:43 am
For those who are interested in the Combo Value Pack, here's a HOT deal.

- Lowes
o Valuepack $19.99 (shows up as 19.99 after you add to cart) @etabol
https://www.lowes.ca/mosquito-repellent ... thermacell

If you choose the Toronto Danforth location, the price will show up as $11.99 after you add it to the cart.
Thanks for posting this! I was able to pick up a Patio base set at my local HD and PM it to Cabelas and then PM the Valuepack to Lowes at $11.99! I'm taking the OFF candle set I picked up back to Costco! I'm looking forward to testing this system out this weekend!
Jr. Member
Jun 6, 2011
140 posts
102 upvotes
Ottawa
Eldorado wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 1:24 pm
Still showing as 11.99 for me, make sure in your cart it still has the Danforth location selected.. but at the very least it should show 19.99 that other stores show
Danforth is showing up as 19.99 in my cart. Say, how do you guys PM online? Print out competitor's cart and bring for in-store pick up? Can't believe they would accept print-outs; a 7 year-old could doctor that in Windows 95 MS Paint!
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2009
864 posts
129 upvotes
After you select danforth as your lowes location, give it 5 seconds to auto update the price. If it doesn’t, Yao the update button beside quantity. Or change then quantity to 2, wait and change it back to 1 and wait few seconds.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 6, 2010
4979 posts
1999 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
lint wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 11:36 am
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm just pointing out flaws in your logic.
- The permethrin you linked to isn't approved in canada for this use. Therefore by your own logic, if you were to use it as a refill you would also be testing it on yourself. The thermacell OEM mats use allethrin, and I have not found an allethrin concentrate for sale in canada.
- As pointed out earlier, if you understand the chemistry and the process and look at the molecules themselves, then you may have a more informed opinion of what effects the different variations of -thrins have.
- You mention permethrin in the "ebay knockoffs", yet most of those mats don't user permethrin. They use other synthetics.
- You're compounding the error by making an (un)educated guess on a concentration of an active ingredient that isn't the most common on those mats. The Raid branded mats https://www.ebay.ca/itm/90pcs-Mat-Refil ... 2749.l2649 list the active ingredient as 4mg cyfluthrin. Do you know how that translates to a 22% alltherin concentration of the OEM mats? I don't.
but here's an MSDS for the mats https://www.northlineexpress.com/media/ ... l-msds.pdf. Notice that there's also 8.4% Isopar M; Distillates (petroleum) listed as a hazardous component
- You're also making a guess on what the vapour pressure and characteristics of the active ingredients on the mats are. Since the temperature of the thermacell units is pretty constant, the length of time of protection is the most likely variable that's controlled by concentration, and any active ingredient applied to the mats would vaporize based on reaching a specific temperature. ie all water boils at 100C regardless of the volume
- There is no wasted time and effort, IMO. I enjoy researching and learning new things and finding practical uses for my education. Finding mats on ebay was easy, purchase was easy, cost is minimal, and wait time isn't active time. I know when ordering from china that it will get here when it gets here. In the mean time I have purchased additional OEM mats to hold me over. Also, I don't believe mosquitos are going away, so if they arrive late, I'll use them next year. I doubt I'll be able to use up the 190 total units I ordered in a single season either.

YMMV
Now we are talking.

- The permethrin you linked to isn't approved in canada for this use. Therefore by your own logic, if you were to use it as a refill you would also be testing it on yourself. The thermacell OEM mats use allethrin, and I have not found an allethrin concentrate for sale in canada.
Canada is a super protective country and all residues are treated like baby because we don't know how to behave ourselves or protect ourselves.
Not just chemicals, any approval is slow or wont happen in Canada.
Speaking of logic flaw, there are some that I would like to point out.
You are buying product with unknown composition with less than half the dimension. I am using a known chemical with known concentration that was tested by a lot of other people in real life use, not in the lab though.
So a logical decision would be choose something that one have more information on. You may not be able to compare what is the concentration translation between different chemicals without doing extensive research or do it in a lab, but you can compare the effectiveness of the concentration of chemical against mosquito easily. I don't worry too much about inhaling permethrin. So I will start with 20% and compare from there.

- As pointed out earlier, if you understand the chemistry and the process and look at the molecules themselves, then you may have a more informed opinion of what effects the different variations of -thrins have.
You are right. I have no idea. But I just need to know permethrin is an effective agent against mosquito.

- You mention permethrin in the "ebay knockoffs", yet most of those mats don't user permethrin. They use other synthetics.
You got me there. I am generalizing those similar chemicals.

- You're compounding the error by making an (un)educated guess on a concentration of an active ingredient that isn't the most common on those mats. The Raid branded mats https://www.ebay.ca/itm/90pcs-Mat-Refil ... 2749.l2649 list the active ingredient as 4mg cyfluthrin. Do you know how that translates to a 22% alltherin concentration of the OEM mats? I don't.
but here's an MSDS for the mats https://www.northlineexpress.com/media/ ... l-msds.pdf. Notice that there's also 8.4% Isopar M; Distillates (petroleum) listed as a hazardous component
I have no idea how that translate. But the dimension of the mat seem to be bigger and better fit for thermacell.

- You're also making a guess on what the vapour pressure and characteristics of the active ingredients on the mats are. Since the temperature of the thermacell units is pretty constant, the length of time of protection is the most likely variable that's controlled by concentration, and any active ingredient applied to the mats would vaporize based on reaching a specific temperature. ie all water boils at 100C regardless of the volume
You are missing your point here. I was making a guess on the difference in temperature when those mat are supposed to be used. 4 hrs vs 16hrs. I have no data to say that you are wrong if the length of functional time is based solely on concentration, but I highly doubt it. At least I would guess that it is by concentration, vaporize temperature of the chemical in the mat and temperature it was used. Since the cheap ones from china are designed to be use in a plug in device to the wall with less than half the size. the relative surface area is larger, and I doubt they will have the temperature same as flame from butane for 16hrs inside the home. They would also probably need to reduce the vapour concentration of for safety because it is used in an enclosed area.

- There is no wasted time and effort, IMO. I enjoy researching and learning new things and finding practical uses for my education. Finding mats on ebay was easy, purchase was easy, cost is minimal, and wait time isn't active time. I know when ordering from china that it will get here when it gets here. In the mean time I have purchased additional OEM mats to hold me over. Also, I don't believe mosquitos are going away, so if they arrive late, I'll use them next year. I doubt I'll be able to use up the 190 total units I ordered in a single season either.
Unfortunately, the logic is flawed here. The reason to buy those knock are to save money? Or for your personal research for fun?
Because if you continue to buy OEM mat, it is not saving you any money.
So the only reason you buy those knock off is for fun. You are not planning on depending on it when you actually need it like in backcountry camping.

I don't know about a chemists point of view, but as a poor guy give trying to get the most bang for the buck, I don't find your argument logical, and more importantly practical at all.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Sr. Member
Feb 1, 2004
752 posts
82 upvotes
Markham
Jonstar1 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 2:10 pm
Thanks for posting this! I was able to pick up a Patio base set at my local HD and PM it to Cabelas and then PM the Valuepack to Lowes at $11.99! I'm taking the OFF candle set I picked up back to Costco! I'm looking forward to testing this system out this weekend!
No worries. I'm glad everyone can benefit from it. RFD effect! :)
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2310 posts
627 upvotes
Nunavut
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 3:09 pm
Danforth is showing up as 19.99 in my cart. Say, how do you guys PM online? Print out competitor's cart and bring for in-store pick up? Can't believe they would accept print-outs; a 7 year-old could doctor that in Windows 95 MS Paint!
Give it a few seconds or do a refresh, change quantities, re-select store etc.. the site it glitchy

For PM online just open up a chat box and ask them to do a PM, they will verify it all.. make sure to give a postal code near the Danforth store like I mentioned, once they confirm you place your order online and pick whichever store you want for pickup... once done give the order # to the person in the chat box, they do their thing, you will eventually get emails showing the order and adjustments
Sr. Member
Feb 1, 2004
752 posts
82 upvotes
Markham
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 3:09 pm
Danforth is showing up as 19.99 in my cart. Say, how do you guys PM online? Print out competitor's cart and bring for in-store pick up? Can't believe they would accept print-outs; a 7 year-old could doctor that in Windows 95 MS Paint!
In your cart, click on "Check Store Availabiltity" then choose Toronto Danforth by clicking on "Set As My Store". The price will be updated to $11.99.

P.S. Don't enter your location when it asks.
Jr. Member
Jun 6, 2011
140 posts
102 upvotes
Ottawa
Eldorado wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 3:27 pm
Give it a few seconds or do a refresh, change quantities, re-select store etc.. the site it glitchy

For PM online just open up a chat box and ask them to do a PM, they will verify it all.. make sure to give a postal code near the Danforth store like I mentioned, once they confirm you place your order online and pick whichever store you want for pickup... once done give the order # to the person in the chat box, they do their thing, you will eventually get emails showing the order and adjustments
Huh... I can't seem to find a chatbox in Home Depot.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2310 posts
627 upvotes
Nunavut
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 3:56 pm
Huh... I can't seem to find a chatbox in Home Depot.
Make sure to turn off any ad blockers, I found they interfered with it.. it's a little chat icon in the bottom right corner, sometimes takes a minute to pop up
Member
User avatar
Sep 15, 2015
249 posts
161 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Thanks. Pm 10 value packs at homedepot at 11.99-10%.
One punch, ouch man
Jr. Member
Jun 6, 2011
140 posts
102 upvotes
Ottawa
Eldorado wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 4:06 pm
Make sure to turn off any ad blockers, I found they interfered with it.. it's a little chat icon in the bottom right corner, sometimes takes a minute to pop up
Amazing, there it is - thanks.

I'm waiting for an associate to join the chat... so I tell them I'm in Toronto for the PM, place my order for an Ottawa pick-up, then they review and adjust the price? Won't they see I'm picking up 500km away?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2310 posts
627 upvotes
Nunavut
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 4:16 pm
Amazing, there it is - thanks.

I'm waiting for an associate to join the chat... so I tell them I'm in Toronto for the PM, place my order for an Ottawa pick-up, then they review and adjust the price? Won't they see I'm picking up 500km away?
They want a postal code so use the one I mentioned which gives the Danforth store as first choice on the Lowes site

I don't think they even look at the order details afterwards, I'm no where near the store as well, guy I had just said it takes a few mins for the order to show on their systems after i gave him the order #.. he said once it pops up he will adjust the price, and sure enough an hour later I got my email saying pickup is ready and shows adjusted price
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2010
4750 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
sonajatt wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 11:23 am
Successful PM at HD to Lowes 11.99 price (lowes Danforth, Toronto location price) for these refills:, no need to worry about refill hacks tbis season.
https://www.lowes.ca/mosquito-repellent ... _-11662090

how many packs did you get? trying to estimate how much i would need for an average summer.

This thread is so overwhelming but i tried to read through it, i need one for my backyard because we back up to a stagnant lake. And i need one for cottages etc.
Phones for sale
Signing up for Koodo / Public Mobile ? 😉
Jr. Member
Jun 6, 2011
140 posts
102 upvotes
Ottawa
Dang. Lowe's Danforth was coming up for 19.99 no matter what I did and same for the HD rep on the chat. Oh well, congrats to all that get it for 11.99, I'm still happy with 19.
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2003
919 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 3:19 pm
Now we are talking.

- The permethrin you linked to isn't approved in canada for this use. Therefore by your own logic, if you were to use it as a refill you would also be testing it on yourself. The thermacell OEM mats use allethrin, and I have not found an allethrin concentrate for sale in canada.
Canada is a super protective country and all residues are treated like baby because we don't know how to behave ourselves or protect ourselves.
Not just chemicals, any approval is slow or wont happen in Canada.
Speaking of logic flaw, there are some that I would like to point out.
You are buying product with unknown composition with less than half the dimension. I am using a known chemical with known concentration that was tested by a lot of other people in real life use, not in the lab though.
So a logical decision would be choose something that one have more information on. You may not be able to compare what is the concentration translation between different chemicals without doing extensive research or do it in a lab, but you can compare the effectiveness of the concentration of chemical against mosquito easily. I don't worry too much about inhaling permethrin. So I will start with 20% and compare from there.

- As pointed out earlier, if you understand the chemistry and the process and look at the molecules themselves, then you may have a more informed opinion of what effects the different variations of -thrins have.
You are right. I have no idea. But I just need to know permethrin is an effective agent against mosquito.

- You mention permethrin in the "ebay knockoffs", yet most of those mats don't user permethrin. They use other synthetics.
You got me there. I am generalizing those similar chemicals.

- You're compounding the error by making an (un)educated guess on a concentration of an active ingredient that isn't the most common on those mats. The Raid branded mats https://www.ebay.ca/itm/90pcs-Mat-Refil ... 2749.l2649 list the active ingredient as 4mg cyfluthrin. Do you know how that translates to a 22% alltherin concentration of the OEM mats? I don't.
but here's an MSDS for the mats https://www.northlineexpress.com/media/ ... l-msds.pdf. Notice that there's also 8.4% Isopar M; Distillates (petroleum) listed as a hazardous component
I have no idea how that translate. But the dimension of the mat seem to be bigger and better fit for thermacell.

- You're also making a guess on what the vapour pressure and characteristics of the active ingredients on the mats are. Since the temperature of the thermacell units is pretty constant, the length of time of protection is the most likely variable that's controlled by concentration, and any active ingredient applied to the mats would vaporize based on reaching a specific temperature. ie all water boils at 100C regardless of the volume
You are missing your point here. I was making a guess on the difference in temperature when those mat are supposed to be used. 4 hrs vs 16hrs. I have no data to say that you are wrong if the length of functional time is based solely on concentration, but I highly doubt it. At least I would guess that it is by concentration, vaporize temperature of the chemical in the mat and temperature it was used. Since the cheap ones from china are designed to be use in a plug in device to the wall with less than half the size. the relative surface area is larger, and I doubt they will have the temperature same as flame from butane for 16hrs inside the home. They would also probably need to reduce the vapour concentration of for safety because it is used in an enclosed area.

- There is no wasted time and effort, IMO. I enjoy researching and learning new things and finding practical uses for my education. Finding mats on ebay was easy, purchase was easy, cost is minimal, and wait time isn't active time. I know when ordering from china that it will get here when it gets here. In the mean time I have purchased additional OEM mats to hold me over. Also, I don't believe mosquitos are going away, so if they arrive late, I'll use them next year. I doubt I'll be able to use up the 190 total units I ordered in a single season either.
Unfortunately, the logic is flawed here. The reason to buy those knock are to save money? Or for your personal research for fun?
Because if you continue to buy OEM mat, it is not saving you any money.
So the only reason you buy those knock off is for fun. You are not planning on depending on it when you actually need it like in backcountry camping.

I don't know about a chemists point of view, but as a poor guy give trying to get the most bang for the buck, I don't find your argument logical, and more importantly practical at all.
I give up. Just trying to provide some information and research to the community, but you obviously have all the answers. I'll go back and remove all of the mis-information I posted in this thread.

Carry on

Top