Jul 8th, 2019 10:36 am
Tempted by the Radius v2 but there's no hack for it
but also no butane... and easy to use.
May 11, 2019
23 posts
12 upvotes
jephree wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 10:34 am
Are there any concerns with breathing in the metofluthrin vapors? Especially with kids?
I guess if you compare it with spray it's a question of a diluted vapour in an outdoor area, where you may breath in a certain amount (metofluthrin) versus a spray containing DEET, wherein a certain amount will definitely get absorbed through your skin. I don't think either is good for you, but there is a wealth of information online arguing both ways.
Sep 15, 2015
249 posts
161 upvotes
Mooooonnn
azn_dan wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 10:32 am

There was a question posed on amazon for this item you linked:

Question: Can i use this to refill thermacell cartridges?

Answer: I believe so.That is why I bought one.But you have to remove a rubber plug in the thermacell cartridge. Pull off the brass valve with pliers, screw a drill bit in rubber plug and pull out.Push brass valve back in and you are GOOD TO GO.
By Duane Whitbread on June 18, 2019

Wouldn't hurt to try? I may try it out myself.
There are two ways, one is to remove check valve (easy but difficult to refill every time) the other is cut a hole at the bottom and insert and glue a refill valve there ( hard but easy to refill later)

You can check below for all the hacks on thermacell
https://www.instructables.com/id/Improv ... hermacell/

Many YouTube videos for this as well for the method of removing check valve. The second method I only see 1-2 ppl ever mentioned on line.
One punch, ouch man
Dec 1, 2006
315 posts
33 upvotes
Spennie wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 10:24 am
I just want to jump on this thread and say THESE WORK!

The key is to turn it on and heat them up ahead of time. I had one on my back deck, turned it on around 7:00pm around when misquitos come out, we sat out until past 11 with literally NONE. Customer for life.
+1. Cottage nights have been unbearable this spring until we bought two patio versions and put them on either side of the deck. We have now been able to actually enjoy our deck with these. Well worth the money, even expensive refills, to be able to enjoy friends and family time.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4361 posts
1262 upvotes
keyser-soze wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 10:41 am
but also no butane... and easy to use.
Yeah but they get you on the refills.
Jan 13, 2017
481 posts
152 upvotes
I will be going camping this weekend, and bought two of these with refills. Hopefully, these work. If they do indeed work, spending a $100 to $150 for the Summer on refills is well worth it.
Last edited by Dragonrana2 on Jul 8th, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2310 posts
627 upvotes
Nunavut
gogozy wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 3:54 pm
thanks!
I did a search, the PA currently have some sales going on on thermacell - in store only.
48 hours refill kit is $27.99 48hr refill kit
120 hours refill kit is $59.99 120hr refill kit
48 hour refill kit is still 19.99 at Lowes (add to cart to see price) - https://www.lowes.ca/mosquito-repellent ... =themacell

Then PM at Home Depot for $17.99 price
Jul 11, 2007
425 posts
84 upvotes
GTA
Totoriko wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 10:36 am
Tempted by the Radius v2 but there's no hack for it
I am sure the one can drill a hole and refill the cartiage just like inject refill. problem is finding the metofluthrin solution, I saw metofluthrin on aliexpress but the image industry drum looks scary, and who know if they gave me banana oil or cooking coil. I admit I have no experience buying these over aliexpress, So far using $10 off over $40 to buy them from canadiantire.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2310 posts
627 upvotes
Nunavut
ysg103907 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 12:37 pm
How do you price match online for such? Ask agent to put it in the cart? or do you PM at HD in store?
There's a few posts in this thread I've written on, check them out

Basically yeah just go in store for a PM showing them the site and price in the cart, or fire up the home depot chat agent online and they will walk you thru
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1518 posts
831 upvotes
Kitchener
Totoriko wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 12:02 pm

Yeah but they get you on the refills.
Sometime paying for something is worth it if it just works and it's easy. And as with anything new... there is no hack.... yet....
Dec 3, 2010
457 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
Mtnviewer wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 10:36 pm
I almost bought the Thermacell Butane Backpacker a couple of times when on sale (v1 deeply discounted once at PAuto), but when I finally got to read the box in the store, I was sorry to see that the chemical pad is somehow different in the backpacker model AND that on the box, it says to NOT BREATH IN THE FUMES which are toxic to humans. I felt that would be kind of difficult not to breath in the fumes when using it & the toxicity was not well documented!!! Whereas the older type of Thermacell butane pads, which uses the synthetic chrsyanthemum chemical says that the vapour is not harmful to humans but may be harmful to some aquatic life if it somehow got into water.

I have seen the coil holder & looked at Amazon.ca & was shocked that it was over $15 there from a couple of sellers. Bizarre. But it is $6.99 at Cdn Tire or Home Hardware. As I don't live near any of those stores to just drop by & pick one up, I made a holder & carrier from wire & one from steel mesh screen & another from flat metal lip balm container which I leave open when burning (not carrying). Won't get to the city for a month to check the stores for a proper one there but maybe they'll be on sale then too, if there are any left.
Just to follow up on the coil and holder: found 8 pack coil in dollarama for 3$. Holders are 2$ and are exactly what Amazon sells.
Feb 2, 2010
507 posts
324 upvotes
Cambridge
Adding my experience with the Radius V2. I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago to take up to our trailer. Our site backs onto woods and at dusk the mosquitos this year have been almost unbearable. I've used this for two weekends, and I have to say that so far we are not overly impressed. I think the basic issue is that for any of this type of repellent to work, there has to literally be zero wind, otherwise the fumes just blow away (usually away from where you're sitting), and there are very very few nights where there is no wind at all. We let the unit warm up, made sure there was liquid in the refill, and tried it in several places while we sat around the campfire, and still, at various points during the evening, we were fighting them off like crazy. This last weekend was especially bad, even though on Friday night there was hardly any wind at all. Maybe these work better on a semi enclosed patio, but for us around the campfire, it just hasn't been effective.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4848 posts
1092 upvotes
Wanted to add my amazing experience with the Radius V2. Bought two of them last week at CT with the $10 off $50 coupons, and used them this weekend camping and had incredible results! Even my SO, who is always super skeptical about my gadgets and who is super susceptible to mosquito bites, was very impressed. She was dreading the resulting amount of bites from this trip, and came away with only a handful, which were from when we were away from the devices. She had one right beside her around the campfire, and another one closer to our tent, both open spaces with no cover, and the zones they created were great. There was a slight breeze the second night, but we were both still bite free while sitting around at dusk. Only had to swat at the rare kamikaze mosquito. I love that we don't have to carry around any butane or pad refills either, and can just charge up the devices with either the supplied electrical outlets at the campsite or with a portable battery charger that we bring with us anyway for our other devices (phones, gopros, etc). Bought two of the 40 hour refills with the coupons too, which will no doubt last us the rest of the summer.

Thermacell has made a believer out of me.

Finally updated this deal not just based on price, but on results.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*