• Jul 31st, 2019 9:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1036 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
I might have missed the response but has anyone done a successful butane hack??
Dec 5, 2015
418 posts
440 upvotes
Verdun, QC
Mtnviewer wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 5:59 pm
I've used the butane Thermacell holster model & a patio lantern for years with excellent success & live in thick mosquito habitat. The main downside of living here (other than neighbours from hell).

Yesterday I was in the thick bush for 2 hours, sitting still, watching wildlife & with the Thermacell on, no mosquitoes. When the butane ran out of the Thermacell, I had to leave due to the many mosquitoes soon coming back.

BUT, due to the extreme high cost (for me) & supreme hassles of refilling butane cartridges & buying affordable scent pads, I recently tested cheap Allerthin based DollarTree store mosquito coils, 6 for $1.25 & found that they work just as well as the Thermacell for repelling mosquitoes & better yet, at a fraction of the cost. I have used the coils in the bush, on my house patio, even burning broken coil pieces sitting on wire mesh & again, the coil worked extremely well with repelling mosquitoes in the vicinity. I hadn't used coils for many many years previous to this week.

Also yesterday, I tried to refill 2 Thermacell butane cartridges (with the inner check valves removed) from 2 different butane brand bottles (Ronson & Mag-Torch & no extra nozzles came with these & cannot find a butane brand in HD, CT, Lowes, PAuto etc that sells butane with extra nozzles) & the bottles leaked out so much freezing cold butane, that I only got 1.5 cartridges refilled. That has been my usual experience. I tried various refill techniques from YouTube but the cans that I have are nearly useless with refilling the Thermacell cartridges. The YouTube methods all seem to have the perfect replaceable nozzle that don't seem to be sold in Canada or at least not my area.

So for effectiveness, HUGE cost savings & incredible ease of use, I'm only going to only use the mosquito coils from now on. Thermacells work extremely well, but the cost of use is too high for me these days & refilling with butane has so far been a wasteful & expensive nightmare, unless perhaps I can buy or make a perfect cartridge fitting nozzle with near zero waste or spray out from where the nozzle comes out of the can. Costco online used to be a decent deal for bulk buying of cartridge & scent pads, but still expensive.

It's a bad summer here for mosquitoes, very warm & VERY wet, yet I was impressed with the cheap coils & more impressed with the low cost of use, not so impressed with how fragile they are, but I've come up with some ideas for ways to deal with burning broken pieces.
But coils are not as concentrated at these thing are they? I guess with coils you can just light 3-4 of them around the patio/camp site and hope for the best.
Apr 9, 2012
342 posts
236 upvotes
tark514 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 4:05 pm
But coils are not as concentrated at these thing are they? I guess with coils you can just light 3-4 of them around the patio/camp site and hope for the best.
Funny thing with your comment is that is extremely similar to the types of comments that I used to get, when I was the first one using a Thermacell of anyone that I knew in this rural hillbilly country of loggers, farmers & miners. No one here believed a few years ago that Thermacells could work, not by just heating one tiny blue scented pad. Just like you don't seem to think that one $0.21 cent simple smoking coil could do the same, as a very expensive Thermacell heating device, smoking pad & expensive butane or now battery powered heater AND you seem to think (without experience) that one would need 3-4 coils to match an expensive Thermacell and STILL just hope for the best. I nearly wet my pants laughing as your comment was so similar to the comment that loggers, etc. used to give me, except they just doused themselves with DEET or Diesel fuel vs. using Allethrin coils. They would say to me, "No f'ng way a tiny blue pad could work as well as a f'ing good soaking of Deet", ..."No F'ing way". Then at lunch while we were ALL being driven mad by mosquitoes while we sat for lunch, I would activate my Thermacell & the mosquitoes would soon disappear & the loggers, young & old would crowd next to me, some making quiet sheepish comments about where did the mosquitoes go, while others said nothing, few would admit that the science worked but more attributed to luck, a non-existant breeze, a fart, or some in fact to Jesus.

Thing is .... I have evidence & experience with both these new coils AND Thermacells & other repellants if you count Deet, Deep Woods Off, etc., etc. ....

While the "concentrations" may be different, they are also completely different physically & how they work & are heated, so I'm not sure that the listed "concentrations" even apply as they are not like for like.

FYI, the Thermacell pad states that it contains 29.5% guaranteed D-CIS Trans Allethrin, while the coil I'm using, states that it contains "guaranteed D-CIS Trans Allethrin 0.35%. I have both packages sitting right here beside me. So, in FACT & from REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH, the MUCH LOWER concentration coil worked for ME, exactly the same as the MUCH HIGHER Thermacell, but at a fraction of the cost! So what does that say? Thermacell requires nearly 100 times more Allethrin to do the same thing? Yet, and again, IME, they worked the same. I have both, I'm using both (not at the same time & location).

As I said, in my recent use this week in 3 different locations, 2 deep in the forest & one on my front deck surrounded by forest (would need to cut many trees down to get a view of the mountains from house deck), both worked & both worked IME, virtually the SAME, even if a small 3 cm broken piece of the coil vs. an entire Thermacell pad. Because to ME, they worked virtually the same, it surprised me and THAT surprise is the entire reason that I'm contributing to this thread. I did not need or even think of needing more than one coil burning. I was running out of Thermacell butane, refilling wasn't working for me, I could not find replacement bottom refill valves (or affordable to me valves) & so being broke, I thought, "Hey, I haven't used coils for many years, maybe they've changed so I'll see what the costs are & try them. So I went to one DollarTree store in the city, saw 2 brands & picked coil brand with the Allethrin, which I knew was the chemical used in Thermacells & when I got home many hours later, I tried it on the front porch near dusk & was pleasantly surprised with how well the cheap single coil worked.

Don't get me wrong, I've used Thermacells for years & really like it. And for years, few believed me that it could work UNTIL they were with me AND the Thermacell AND experienced it working for themselves. These DollarTree coils in my use do exactly the same thing at the same rate in the same way as the Thermacells. Both also have fumes & smoke.

"Karl's Mosquito Coils" is the brand name & the active ingredient is listed as Trans-Allethrin as is the Thermacell. The Karl's brand coils come in a box of 6 for $1.25 for 30 hours worth of repellent. 30 hours @ $1.25. You can do the math for the Thermacells depending on what you paid for them & compare the costs.

Just saying there appears to be a MUCH lower cost and still effective option & far more enviromentally friendly, as with the coils, there is far less packaging, no pads to safely discard (toxic to wetlands), plastic containers to throw out or try to recycle in the plastic bin & far less plastic & foil wrappers to put in the garbage as one has with Thermacells. Afterall, being outdoors in a clean and healthy environment is why we use these repellants. Why litter the outdoors with all the Thermacell stuff needed & extra packaging, vs. using one disappearing coil. And if I didn't need more than one coil sitting deep in the bush or on my front porch in prime mosquito season at varying times of day or dusk, then I'd be surprised anyone would.
Last edited by Mtnviewer on Jul 8th, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2008 posts
552 upvotes
Whitby
michiebaby wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 4:03 pm
I might have missed the response but has anyone done a successful butane hack??
I have. I break open the lighters that are re-fillable, remove the butane filling valve and install them in the bottom of the thermacell butane cartridges with epoxy. Works great and you don't have to mess around with butane adapters that don't fit properly.
Apr 9, 2012
342 posts
236 upvotes
kryton619 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 6:08 pm
I have. I break open the lighters that are re-fillable, remove the butane filling valve and install them in the bottom of the thermacell butane cartridges with epoxy. Works great and you don't have to mess around with butane adapters that don't fit properly.
Costco stopped selling refillable stick lighters, but I see the Dollar Store had one. I will try a refillable stick lighter from the Dollar type stores for $1.25 to get a valve. I had taken apart a refillable lighter to get the valve, but when I got it out, & glued it in, it too did not work. That process was also a huge hassle ..... for me. I wish it were not. Maybe this next try will be better. I still have a LOT of Thermacell pads to use up.
Nov 18, 2006
504 posts
155 upvotes
Mtnviewer wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 5:44 pm
FYI, the Thermacell pad states that it contains 29.5% guaranteed D-CIS Trans Allethrin, while the coil I'm using, states that it contains "guaranteed D-CIS Trans Allethrin 0.35%. I have both packages sitting right here beside me. So, in FACT & from REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH, the MUCH LOWER concentration coil worked for ME, exactly the same as the MUCH HIGHER Thermacell, but at a fraction of the cost! So what does that say? Thermacell requires nearly 100 times more Allethrin to do the same thing? Yet, and again, IME, they worked the same. I have both, I'm using both (not at the same time & location).
For what it's worth, the concentration of allethrin the coil will be based on the wt% of the whole coil (including all the sawdust etc) , whereas the concentration of the thermacell will just be the liquid and exclude the weight of the pad. So they aren't remotely comparable... And instead of just breathing in some allethrin , you'll be getting all the smoke products from the coil burning -- wikipedia compares to 50+ cigarettes. I'm not judging either way, whatever keeps the bugs away...
Nov 19, 2012
353 posts
172 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 2:41 pm
Adding my experience with the Radius V2. I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago to take up to our trailer. Our site backs onto woods and at dusk the mosquitos this year have been almost unbearable. I've used this for two weekends, and I have to say that so far we are not overly impressed. I think the basic issue is that for any of this type of repellent to work, there has to literally be zero wind, otherwise the fumes just blow away (usually away from where you're sitting), and there are very very few nights where there is no wind at all. We let the unit warm up, made sure there was liquid in the refill, and tried it in several places while we sat around the campfire, and still, at various points during the evening, we were fighting them off like crazy. This last weekend was especially bad, even though on Friday night there was hardly any wind at all. Maybe these work better on a semi enclosed patio, but for us around the campfire, it just hasn't been effective.
I agree 100%. There can’t be any wind, or you have to be semi eclosed. I bought this a week ago and I’m 2 for 4 with no mosquitos. The two nights that it didn’t work, there was a bit of wind.
Apr 9, 2012
342 posts
236 upvotes
]
mathomas wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 7:05 pm
For what it's worth, the concentration of allethrin the coil will be based on the wt% of the whole coil (including all the sawdust etc) , whereas the concentration of the thermacell will just be the liquid and exclude the weight of the pad. So they aren't remotely comparable... And instead of just breathing in some allethrin , you'll be getting all the smoke products from the coil burning -- wikipedia compares to 50+ cigarettes. I'm not judging either way, whatever keeps the bugs away...
50+ cigarettes? I can't see how that is possible as there isn't much visible smoke given off the coil. I can't even see it being close to the smoke that I see from a smoker's single puff & exhale for an entire coil pack. Remember, these are being used OUTDOORS & I certainly am NO fan of any type of smoke or scent, so I locate as far from the coil as I can. As well!!!!, the coil is or should be put outside BEFORE one goes to use the site for 10 minutes or so, which is like the smokey Thermacell, so one would not need to sit right beside a coil or smoking Thermacell, as a larger area has been cleared. I also find the smoke from Thermacell's irritating & unpleasant the rare time I have gotten a nosefull.

But, I didn't do the Malaysian or Chinese study & the Wikipedia page does not mention the coil brand(s) studied nor most other details of the study, such as the outdoor site conditions, which is unfortunate as it makes it difficult to make an informed decision based on the vagueness of the Wikipedia page, other than at the end of the Wikipedia page, the last sentence is:

"The study concluded that, with normal use, mosquito coils are unlikely to be a health risk."

You left that part out, which is maybe as reassuring as your selective editing is fear mongering.
Feb 22, 2017
258 posts
279 upvotes
Ontario
Mtnviewer wrote:

Funny thing ...
Did anyone else find reading this to be a bit of a roller coaster in terms of for/against thermacell as well as understanding what the hell the point was in general?
Dec 5, 2015
418 posts
440 upvotes
Verdun, QC
Mtnviewer wrote:

Funny thing with your comment is that is extremely similar to the types of comments that I used to get, when I was the first one using a Thermacell of anyone that I knew in this rural hillbilly country of loggers, farmers & miners. No one here believed a few years ago that Thermacells could work, not by just heating one tiny blue scented pad. Just like you don't seem to think that one $0.21 cent simple smoking coil could do the same, as a very expensive Thermacell heating device, smoking pad & expensive butane or now battery powered heater AND you seem to think (without experience) that one would need 3-4 coils to match an expensive Thermacell and STILL just hope for the best. I nearly wet my pants laughing as your comment was so similar to the comment that loggers, etc. used to give me, except they just doused themselves with DEET or Diesel fuel vs. using Allethrin coils. They would say to me, "No f'ng way a tiny blue pad could work as well as a f'ing good soaking of Deet", ..."No F'ing way". Then at lunch while we were ALL being driven mad by mosquitoes while we sat for lunch, I would activate my Thermacell & the mosquitoes would soon disappear & the loggers, young & old would crowd next to me, some making quiet sheepish comments about where did the mosquitoes go, while others said nothing, few would admit that the science worked but more attributed to luck, a non-existant breeze, a fart, or some in fact to Jesus.

Thing is .... I have evidence & experience with both these new coils AND Thermacells & other repellants if you count Deet, Deep Woods Off, etc., etc. ....

[...]
I don't even know how me asking about the concentration and efficiency of coils VS. thermacell was translated in this rant of nonsense.

Like you said thermacell is 100X more concentrated, it is normal to question it's efficiency vs. Coils and my experience with them is different than yours. I do not have a thermacell, I am not emotionally invested in thermacell nor coils... Not sure why you are but good luck with that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22573 posts
8287 upvotes
Princess Auto is having a sale.

$25 for a lantern
$40 for MR450
$40 for a Backpacker
Feb 6, 2013
70 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga
I went to Canadian tire Heartland in Mississauga last night and I was able to price match MTLCP no issues. She looked at my phone super quickly and said okay for the backpacker.

I also went to HD to price match Lowes and wanted to PM the radius because CD was OOS but the lady was giving me a hard time. She was also giving me an extra hard time for Lowes PM.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1095 posts
935 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Ok so I am desperate for some mosquito relief in my yard. I have read most of this thread and I am pretty much convinced to try one of these thermacell devices. From a purely cost perspective, it seems like the various versions will all cost the same to run.

The battery version doesn't need gas but the 40 hour refills cost $30 which is the same price as the 48 hour refill of the butane versions. The backpacker one isn't cheaper either. $15 for 24 hour mat only refill is the same price as the refill with butane. And the backpacker one needs camping butane which is not included and costs ~$10

So any way you slice it, it will cost $30 for 40-48hour of repellent. unless you go with the backpacker version and buy the knockoff refills?
Jun 4, 2007
671 posts
271 upvotes
I have a radius gen 2 sealed for sale, asking what I paid (49.95 + tx). Sold out everywhere locally so giving a chance to fellow RFD’ers first before i return. If not sold by the weekend I’ll just return back to CT.