Cabinet door hindrance in under cabinet range hood installation

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 1:39 pm
[OP]
Oct 31, 2008
12 posts
1 upvote

Cabinet door hindrance in under cabinet range hood installation

Hi, our home was built in 1967 and it has never had a range hood. It had this exhaust fan in the ceiling and that stopped working a long time ago. I want to install a range hood now and I was considering under the cabinet range hood. I am attaching two pictures with this post. As you can see the cabinet doors do not have any handle and they extend downward so that they can be opened from below. I think they will obstruct the installation of an under the cabinet range hood. I am unsure about how to proceed further. I was hoping to either go with Sakura or Pacific range hood.

I am thankful for any advice that you guys can give me regarding tackling this installation.
Images
  • 20190102_110628.jpg
  • 20190102_110646.jpg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1650 posts
870 upvotes
Toronto
First, do you plan on venting the hood to the outside?

There is zero point in putting a range hood in unless you are actually venting it to the exterior of your home.

Beyond that, it's a simple matter to put 3/4 or 1 inch wood as needed to shim the hood down to clear the edge of the doors.

You also need to consider the height above your range - if the cabinets were not designed for a range hood, chances are they are too close to your cooktop to allow for the range hood anyhow.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9992 posts
4076 upvotes
Brampton
mmobeen wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:19 pm
Hi, our home was built in 1967 and it has never had a range hood. It had this exhaust fan in the ceiling and that stopped working a long time ago. I want to install a range hood now and I was considering under the cabinet range hood. I am attaching two pictures with this post. As you can see the cabinet doors do not have any handle and they extend downward so that they can be opened from below. I think they will obstruct the installation of an under the cabinet range hood. I am unsure about how to proceed further. I was hoping to either go with Sakura or Pacific range hood.

I am thankful for any advice that you guys can give me regarding tackling this installation.
Remove the cabinet completely and go with a Vent a hood
[OP]
Oct 31, 2008
12 posts
1 upvote
The distance between the bottom of the cabinet and the cooking range is 31 inch.

Yes, i want to vent the hood outside. My range is not beside the outdoor wall. So, I believe that it will need to be vented through the roof.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1466 posts
516 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Roof venting is a PITA but a necessary evil. What's above the kitchen?
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2225 posts
430 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
you can go out the back wall for your range hood exhaust, but you need to measure it and make sure you insulate it so no air leaks to the outside wall, and chances are you need to build a small 1 to 2 inch box under your cabinet with filler strips then you attach your range hood to that so it gives you clearance for your range hood
Hi
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3772 posts
2910 upvotes
Toronto
mmobeen wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:34 pm
The distance between the bottom of the cabinet and the cooking range is 31 inch.

Yes, i want to vent the hood outside. My range is not beside the outdoor wall. So, I believe that it will need to be vented through the roof.
I think you need 36 inches between gas cooking surface and bottom of range hood, so you'll need to remove the cabinets or take them off and reattach them higher. since you'll have less than 31 inches depending on how tall your range hood is. Foe electric cooktops, it can be less than 36 inches, but can't remember if there's a number.

If keeping the cabinets, GoodFellaz has the right idea to build a small box so that the doors have clearance to open. Or cut off that wood trim part, put edge-banding on the exposed side, then screw on some handles on the door faces.