Home & Garden

Cabinet refacing recommendations in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2007 8:57 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 1, 2003
954 posts
50 upvotes

Cabinet refacing recommendations in the GTA?

I'm looking to get my kitchen cabinets refaced and would also like to replace my countertop. I know Home Depot offers this service, and their "don't pay for 6 month" deal (when paying with their credit card) is pretty enticing.

Does anyone know if it's cheaper to go elsewhere? Any recommendations?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
sometimes refacing is as expensive as replacing the whole kitchen
Apr 30, 2006
318 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Have you had any luck with this? Can you share what the estimates were?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
Refacing while it looks attractive,,,, seems to be a total scam!!

I had my kitchen replaced for a little more then the refacing estimate. Anyone in need of cabinets,,, check out Fine line kitchens in Cambridge. They are the direct manufacturer and no extra markups,,,, We saved about 10k min with them and it was all custom built.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
825 upvotes
Newmarket
Ya, its probably like those "bathtub refit" guys you see in malls and flyers. They thrive on the misleading concept that it'll be easier to do it their way than to put in completely new. Well, I suppose it is easier, but at at a premium price for something that doesnt look or perform as well as new.
Jul 1, 2003
954 posts
50 upvotes
Sorry for not replying sooner, lost track of the thread. As far as estimates go, for the most part I got quoted in the $3000 range.

One of the companies I requested a quote from was very helpful. They told me that the cost of refacing my kitchen was very close to the cost of replacing it. I have what is called face frame style cabinets, meaning the frames of the cabinet actually show as the hinges of the doors are on the outside. Because of this, I would have to refinish my face frames to match new doors/cabinets. If I had a frameless cabinet (frames do not show as the door cover the entire frame as higes are on the inside), then it would be cheaper.

I've put off the project for now as I don't have the funds. However, I'm seriously contemplating stripping the cabinets myself, painting them white and then buying new doors and installing them myself.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
I have seen people selling new kitchen cabinets that they got from the builder in their new house & decided to change to something different. Many times you can get them fairly cheap since people want to get rid of them.

P.S. I have seen them selling on Kijiji.ca, buyandsell.ca
Jul 1, 2003
954 posts
50 upvotes
patrob wrote: I have seen people selling new kitchen cabinets that they got from the builder in their new house & decided to change to something different. Many times you can get them fairly cheap since people want to get rid of them.
May I ask where they post them for sale? (craigslist? ebay? RFD?)
Oct 20, 2004
849 posts
97 upvotes
Coquitlam
r2traps wrote: Sorry for not replying sooner, lost track of the thread. As far as estimates go, for the most part I got quoted in the $3000 range.

One of the companies I requested a quote from was very helpful. They told me that the cost of refacing my kitchen was very close to the cost of replacing it. I have what is called face frame style cabinets, meaning the frames of the cabinet actually show as the hinges of the doors are on the outside. Because of this, I would have to refinish my face frames to match new doors/cabinets. If I had a frameless cabinet (frames do not show as the door cover the entire frame as higes are on the inside), then it would be cheaper.

I've put off the project for now as I don't have the funds. However, I'm seriously contemplating stripping the cabinets myself, painting them white and then buying new doors and installing them myself.
Yes, if you have face frame cabinets, it will be a much cheaper route to just get a new kitchen altogether. Very few companies even offer face frame cabinets/doors anymore, they are an old and outdated system. The European style is alot better and cleaner looking, hinges don't show, and it also frees up room because there are no frames for the cabinets to deal with.

Some companies will offer a conversion from face-frame to frameless cabinets, keeping your old boxes but modifying them, but this usually ends up being more expensive due to the custom labour required, you're much better just getting a new European style kitchen.

The reason I recommend a new kitchen as opposed to refacing, is because the relative cost of the boxes themself are very cheap compared to the price of the doors. The cost of the doors usually amounts to 75-85% of the cabinet itself. So a a reface job might cost $4000, but a new kitchen altogether may be in the $4500-$5000 range.
Oct 20, 2004
849 posts
97 upvotes
Coquitlam
r2traps wrote: Sorry for not replying sooner, lost track of the thread. As far as estimates go, for the most part I got quoted in the $3000 range.

Also, it would be a cheaper route for you to get PVC doors instead of solid wood. PVC doors can be up to 30% cheaper than a solid wood door. The only problem being it's not as "natural" a look as wood is, and the variety of colours you can choose is limited. But if you were looking for just white doors, PVC might be a good way to go!

Good luck

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)