Tags:
None
Mar 16, 2007
22 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

cable/satellite TV service in Oakville

Hi all,
I've moved into a new place in Oakville and am looking for TV service, satellite or digital cable, I guess. I went to the Bell site and priced out a package but it was over $100.00/mth, which seemed expensive. Are you guys paying something like that, or am I doing something wrong? I also need local/long-distance phone service and Internet... maybe a bundle is good for me? The Primus Triple Value Bundle sounds good but lacks the TV portion, which is the reason for my question. Any good deals out there? Thanks and looking forward to your replies.
9 replies
Oct 11, 2007
424 posts
Ontario
Teksavvy highspeed DSL 29.95/m, really no different than Bell's $48/m
http://www.teksavvy.com/en/resdsl.asp?ID=7&mID=1
positive reviews

If you don't mind VOIP for phone, BRAMA $9.90/m
http://bramatelecom.com/home.php
I haven't checked the reviews on this one

If you rather not have VOIP, Costco has Home Phone through Wintel $25.95/m http://www.win-tel.ca/costco/index_en.html#1 (less than Bell/Rogers), some perks if you are an executive member, requires Costco membership. People, help me out, on other Home Phone providers...

Depending on your ethics and whether you are limited by dish placement, FTA for satellite, initial setup cost only, and take it with you when you move. Best place to buy is http://www.skyhighelectronics.com/ Then get the very basic cable from your local provider.

Not sure of their other services but Primus has poor reviews for their internet.

"Bundling" with the big boys (Bell/Rogers/Cogeco) is just marketing and a big ripoff.

Anybody feel free to point out better deals, especially reliable and well reviewed :)
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
22 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
joshuaave,
Thanks for the reply; I'll look into the providers you mentioned.

Anyone else have any advice/deals?

Thank you.
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10398 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
For cable you have no choice other than Cogeco.
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
Oct 11, 2007
424 posts
Ontario
Acanac vs. Teksavvy, maybe this can help you decide...
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=575934
I've used Velcom for over a year, got in at $29.95/m.

Cogeco is only true if you want a landline and don't mind $50+/month. RFDer teb can tell you all about satellite OTA local channels, FTA, and overcoming dish placement limitations. I do not know him personally but he is quite knowledgeable about the subject
(I talked to him about how to drop Cogeco and still get the locals)
Dec 17, 2006
27 posts
5 upvotes
Bump.

Just reviving this thread from 2008.

Is Cogeco still the only choice for cable in Oakville?

Or I guess Bell fibe is an option now...

Ben
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2083 posts
188 upvotes
Burlington
start.ca for internet
shawdirect.ca for satellite

there was a huge thread kicking around...someone offering basic cable for $10. Did some searches, but couldn't find it....anyone?
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends). PM for details.
Feb 10, 2007
531 posts
35 upvotes
Oakville
TRUST wrote:
Jun 7th, 2008 6:27 am
Hi all,
I've moved into a new place in Oakville and am looking for TV service, satellite or digital cable, I guess. I went to the Bell site and priced out a package but it was over $100.00/mth, which seemed expensive. Are you guys paying something like that, or am I doing something wrong?
For reliable TV service in Oakville, the best value is now Shaw Direct as you will get more channels for your money when compared to Cogeco or Bell. In addition, the service itself is at least $20 cheaper every month as you don't have to pay receiver rental fees. You can save even more if you switch your Internet and/or Home phone services as well. Basic installation is free for up to 2 TV's and a hardware credit of up to $300 means that you can own 2 HD receivers at $0 as a new customer.

Monthly programming costs start at $25 per month with pick n' pay now available if you only need specific channels. For a larger channel lineup, there are two packages currently on promotion with Digital Advantage with over 200 channels at only $44.99 / mo. for the first 6 months ($63.00 reg.) or Ontario Life which includes over 450 channels and one FREE PPV or VOD movie EVERY month at only $59.99 for the first 6 months ($77.00 reg.).
Back by popular demand, the 2016 OTA and/or FTA HDTV group buy. Signup now!
Dec 25, 2004
558 posts
16 upvotes
Any happy Shaw users? I'm moving to Oakville and I'm highly considering Bell Fibe better package, whole home pvr, wireless HD, 25/10 Internet + unlimited data. Total package is about $110/mth. I could go with the good package which knocks $30 off and add netflix for $8/mth, but that would limit my sports and children channel options. I'd love some RFD advice from any folks in Oakville/Burlington. Thanks in advance!
× < >