Cacao powder for "hot chocolate" beverage

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2016 11:18 pm
Dec 15, 2008
652 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Cacao powder for "hot chocolate" beverage

Cold winter days is making me crave daily servings of hot chocolate. But I did not want to settle for just any sugar loaded choco powder. A bit of research introduced me to Cacao powder. I want to try it but need tips where the most economical source to buy it from. I'm hoping Costco have them.

http://yourhealthyplace.ca/nourish/reco ... cao-powder

http://navitasnaturals.com/product/441/ ... owder.html

Suggestions?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Both Fry and Herseys sell coco powder. Fry's Coco is "dutched", having been treated with an alkaline solution to reduce acidity and darken the colour. Otherwise there is no difference both being pure powders and available at most grocery stores.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
^ I use both of those, prefer Fry's.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
...Cacao is trendy and hot right now, so getting it somewhere 'economical' will be a challenge. I've used the Navitas brand before and the best price I ever found local was around $16 for the 16oz bag.

Be prepared for a bitter, unsweetened taste -- as in, looks good, but tastes AWFUL! You will need to sweeten it if you're planning to drink it as a hot chocolate replacement.

Regular, grocery-store (dutch processed) cocoa powder isn't quite as bitter as the cold-milled cacao, but IMO, it would still need to be sweetened. Whether you opt for sugar or something artificial like Splenda, that would be up to you.

*edit*...beware of the added marketing hype when it comes to comparing cacao vs cocoa. As much as the marketers will lead you to believe, it's not 'that' much different. One just costs about 4x as much.
Dec 15, 2008
652 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Ok thanks all for the education. I'll settle for Fry's at Superstore they're around $5 only.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3610 upvotes
Another option could be melting bittersweet solid chocolate to use in hot chocolate. Costco sells big bags of individually packaged Lindt squares for about $12. They're barely sweet at all.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: Another option could be melting bittersweet solid chocolate to use in hot chocolate. Costco sells big bags of individually packaged Lindt squares for about $12. They're barely sweet at all.
isn't it tricky melting chocolate in milk? usually the low fat content of the milk causes the chocolate to seize. perhaps melting the chocolate in a double boiler first with some cream and then slowly whisking in warm milk would work but not sure.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
cocoa powder isnt loaded with sugar, hot chocolate mix is loaded with sugar.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
There is this, in the baking section at Costco, can be used to make hot chocolate and it $8.89 for 700gr.:
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
^That's the one I use...don't understand why it's in such a large container though; it's certainly not filled to the top with product. I just refill my Fry's cocoa canister with it since that one fits much better in my cupboard.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3610 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: isn't it tricky melting chocolate in milk? usually the low fat content of the milk causes the chocolate to seize. perhaps melting the chocolate in a double boiler first with some cream and then slowly whisking in warm milk would work but not sure.
I would melt if first by itself, short bursts in the microwave, then gradually stir in heated milk.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
I hate powder sugar mixes, and find them too sweet. I make hot chocolate from scratch all the time, as we have kids that come over with dairy allergy so I can use coconut or almond milk too. I use the same Rodelle from Costco posted from above. I have also used Fry's, but find the Rodelle a darker slightly richer taste. I also a a splash of vanilla to mine for extra flavour and then you need less sweetener. Sometimes I will add cinnamon or even a little chipotle pepper (not for kids). You can also make a big batch of hot chocolate and then cool it and drink it as chocolate milk. It just won't be as thick as chocolate milk.

In terms of using real chocolate, which you can too, you have to watch the sweetness. Even those that don't seem sweet I find it a little a on the sweet side when you out enough to get the chocolate flavour. The best way to melt the chocolate is on a double boiler, but I don't have one. Instead, I melt it in a non stick sauce pan on very low heat, stir the whole time, then when all melted, turn up the heat high and mix milk on very vigorously, you must not add too much milk in the beginning until it gets smooth. It will seize a little bit, but you keep adding a little milk at a time. It also helps if you ore warm the milk in the microwave. Melting the chelate in the microwave does not work for hot chocolate because you can add the milk in properly.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
My wife recently bought some Cocoa powder to use for some baking recipies, she went to bulk barn, and I believe a small tub of that cost a few bucks if anything, so its a very good price if you need some and don't want to spend 8 or 9 bucks for a large tin and only end up using a little. bit.
Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: ^That's the one I use...don't understand why it's in such a large container though; it's certainly not filled to the top with product. I just refill my Fry's cocoa canister with it since that one fits much better in my cupboard.
They're filled by weight not by volume.
And I transfer (all my stuff) to deli containers. They're stackable and uniformly shaped.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
death_hawk wrote: They're filled by weight not by volume.
And I transfer (all my stuff) to deli containers. They're stackable and uniformly shaped.
I agree, I transferred my Cocoa power into one of those clear deli containers. by the way, why do people spell Cocoa wrong? ie Cacao?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Cacao I'm fairly certain is another language since there's stuff like "Creme de Cacao" which sounds French.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
Stronzo1 wrote: I agree, I transferred my Cocoa power into one of those clear deli containers. by the way, why do people spell Cocoa wrong? ie Cacao?
both are correct spellings. how could you be so wrong? rocco's not going to be pleased.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Stronzo1 wrote: by the way, why do people spell Cocoa wrong? ie Cacao?
...cacao is actually the original way of spelling cocoa.

And from my understanding, the cacao version has been recently adopted by the raw food/vegan folks. It helps them to try and distinguish their 'raw cacao' product from the typical 'dutch processed cocoa' that'd you'd find at the grocery store.

And it makes it sound more expensive now doesn't it?!? :D
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1474 posts
2821 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
There are different types of cocoa powder - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/201 ... -of-cocoa/ which gives you even more choices than Hershey's. Each has a slightly different taste and you would mostly see this in your baking, but definitely you can play with the varieties to make your ultimate hot chocolate. Also playing with the type of sugar you use - white, brown, stevia, ect. can also add more to your ultimate h.c. Instant Espresso - tiniest bit or even vanilla also brings out the chocolate flavor. I've been lucky to find different cocoa's at Bulk Barn. Enjoy.