Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 14, 2007
441 posts
409 upvotes

Calculating capital gain

I transferred some stock between brokers and sold half of it yesterday. I am trying to figure out what my capital gain is. I bought the stock $500 at a time every 2 weeks over the course of 2 years, so there are about 50 transactions at the original broker. The broker I bought the stock with did not transmit an average cost to the new broker, so the new broker is indicating ??? in the cost basis column.

How do I go about calculating my capital gain on the 50% of the stock I sold, for CRA purposes? Is it "first-in-first-out"?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2501 posts
1290 upvotes
Montreal
DrXenon wrote:
Jul 6th, 2012 11:55 am
Is it "first-in-first-out"?
No such thing in Canada. You need to calculate your adjusted cost base. It's a PITA. Do a google search for ACB, there are spreadsheets that will help. Never trust your broker's ACB calc to be accurate.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
you have to do it manually i guess.
it is easier if you have never sold any in the old broker. just add total of money used to buy that share
$500*number of times of purchase
average cost/share is $500*number of times of purchase / number of shares
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5725 posts
1577 upvotes
Scarborough
Probably use excel for this and all future ACB calculations. It's tedious and that's why most people recommend DRIPs/PAPs for registered accounts so you don't have to worry about calculating taxable gains on a constantly fluctuating ACB.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2501 posts
1290 upvotes
Montreal
DrXenon wrote:
Jul 6th, 2012 9:42 pm
Oh great, there are a whole bunch of reinvested dividends that need to be accounted for as well. This is going to consume Saturday afternoon, I can see it coming.
Well, you have until April 30th 2013 to figure it out. ;)

Here's Canadian Capitalist's ACB spreadsheet and blog post. http://www.canadiancapitalist.com/free- ... -in-excel/
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19043 posts
1501 upvotes
I have an even more complicated situation I think....

I have stocks purchased through an employee purchase plan. Every two weeks I have 10% of my pay taken and allocated to purchase company stock, which is then done at a 5% discount to the current share price. However, this stock is listed on a US exchange, and I am paid in Canadian... so there is also a currency conversion at play, every two weeks. Also there is income tax taken out of my pay whenever this happens on the 5% benefit.

Furthermore, these stocks were held at a US broker. I transferred them to my TD Waterhouse account, so now they all have a "book value" of N/A. Also, these stocks paid dividends... but I took them in cash, into my US bank account.

Now,when I go sell them - how do I calculate the capital gain for this? Do you calculate the ACB AFTER the 5% discount, or before? Also do you have calculate the ACB at the US/CAD date for that buying period? Or is it based on the time the shares were transferred into TD waterhouse? What about the dividends...
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2501 posts
1290 upvotes
Montreal
brunes wrote:
Jul 9th, 2012 6:57 am
Now,when I go sell them - how do I calculate the capital gain for this? Do you calculate the ACB AFTER the 5% discount, or before? Also do you have calculate the ACB at the US/CAD date for that buying period? Or is it based on the time the shares were transferred into TD waterhouse? What about the dividends...
Is it a Canadian or American company?

Your ACB is based on what you actually paid so after discount. Edit:see FS22's post below for a correction on how to calculate ACB when a taxable benefit is involved.

The currency conversion can be calculated either with the official rate that day or you can use the average rate for the year. These rates are available from the BOC website. The important part is that you remain consistent in your use of rates. Picking whichever rate is most favourable to you is fine if it's your first time doing calculations involving currency conversion but switching back and forth between methods will likely lead to issues with CRA.

The transfer to TDW has no impact on these calcs. Dividends shouldn't affect ACB unless part of the distribution was return of capital which would lower your ACB. Although it doesn't appear to apply in your situation, DRIPs affect ACB since each DRIP is a new purchase. I avoid automatic DRIPs in all my unregistered accounts for this reason, more trouble than it's worth.

I am not an accountant and this should not be construed as tax advice. Just sharing info based on my own dealings with ACB.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19043 posts
1501 upvotes
S5 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2012 10:12 am
Is it a Canadian or American company?
American, hence a lot of the complicatedness.
Your ACB is based on what you actually paid so after discount.
Hrm, that seems unfair :/ Because I am already being taxed on the discount on my paycheque as a taxable benefit. If I have to also take it into account on the capital gain, its starting to get to the point that the discount is pointless... being double-taxed on it would eliminate roughly 60% of the benefit, taking it down to around 2% instead of 5%... such a small amount I might as well drop out of this plan.
The transfer to TDW has no impact on these calcs. Dividends shouldn't affect ACB unless part of the distribution was return of capital which would lower your ACB. Although it doesn't appear to apply in your situation, DRIPs affect ACB since each DRIP is a new purchase. I avoid automatic DRIPs in all my unregistered accounts for this reason, more trouble than it's worth.
Glad I opeted out of the DRIP!
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1218 upvotes
Halifax
S5 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2012 10:12 am
Your ACB is based on what you actually paid so after discount.
Unless there's been a tax law change since I left my old company a couple of years ago, this is incorrect.

The ACB = the price he paid for the stock + the amount of the taxable benefit

In other words, the ACB is the actual price of the stock on the day it was bought.

And just to be clear brunes, the exchange rate on the days you contributed money is irrelevant. The only relevant days for the exchange rate is on the days stock was bought (or the annual average as S5 already mentioned). Of course I'm assuming you only bought stock a couple of times a year, not every time money was deducted from your paycheck.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1218 upvotes
Halifax
ccyk wrote:
Jul 9th, 2012 3:00 pm
are you sure? thats very stupid setup
The difference between the price of the stock and the price you pay is most definitely a taxable benefit.

If the stock is selling at $10 a share and the employer is letting you buy it for $8 share, it's the exact same as if you bought it for $10 a share and the employer increased your pay by $2 for each share you bought.

So the difference between the price you paid and the actual price is a taxable benefit which is treated the same as income.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2501 posts
1290 upvotes
Montreal
FunSave22 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2012 2:51 pm
Unless there's been a tax law change since I left my old company a couple of years ago, this is incorrect.

The ACB = the price he paid for the stock + the amount of the taxable benefit

In other words, the ACB is the actual price of the stock on the day it was bought.
Thanks for the correction, didn't interpret Brunes' income tax comment correctly. I'll edit my post above and direct readers to your reply.

Brunes, as to the dividends, since they are foreign they will be taxed as income. You've likely noticed the brokers withholding 15% on behalf of the IRS, you should be able to get a foreign tax credit for most or all of it on your Canadian income tax.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19043 posts
1501 upvotes
How do you file for that credit?