Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 30, 2011
116 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Caledon Speeding Ticket 45 km/hr over in 60 km/hr zone

I got pulled over in Caledon on Highway 10 this evening, where the cop claims I was going 105 km/hr (45 km/hr) over in 60 km/hr zone. The ticket is a $335 fine and he said it would be 4 demerit points.

I know I was not going that fast, as I was just driving with the flow of traffic at that time which about 80-90 km/hr. It was pretty peak time as well since lots of people were driving back to Toronto.

The weird part about it was that the officer patrol car came behind my car while I was waiting at a traffic light (red) and didn't do anything. I didn't even know he was there at this point. I turned left to pull into a McDonalds and just as I about to go into the drive-thru, he puts on the "signals" alerting me to stop and pull over else where.

I have never gotten a speeding ticket before. What can I do to fight this? Please help and pardon me if the answer is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find much for speeding 40 km/hr over and up!
178 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
11164 posts
874 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2014 10:22 pm
Ask for full disclosure
@OP: disclosure would hopefully entitle you with a dash cam video which should clearly show your car as one traveling 105km/hr. The other/shorter possibility is just constable's written notes which usually don't help much.

Did you ask the constable of where and how he clocked you? The fact that he followed you into a McD's parking lot, may indicate that he was at some remote location/distance when he clocked you, which may open a question to the accuracy of actual vehicle with the infraction???
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2139 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa
Another case of following the crowd. Good luck.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1314 upvotes
HongCao wrote:
Apr 17th, 2014 9:57 pm
I got pulled over in Caledon on Highway 10 this evening, where the cop claims I was going 105 km/hr (45 km/hr) over in 60 km/hr zone. The ticket is a $335 fine and he said it would be 4 demerit points.

I know I was not going that fast, as I was just driving with the flow of traffic at that time which about 80-90 km/hr. It was pretty peak time as well since lots of people were driving back to Toronto.

The weird part about it was that the officer patrol car came behind my car while I was waiting at a traffic light (red) and didn't do anything. I didn't even know he was there at this point. I turned left to pull into a McDonalds and just as I about to go into the drive-thru, he puts on the "signals" alerting me to stop and pull over else where.

I have never gotten a speeding ticket before. What can I do to fight this? Please help and pardon me if the answer is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find much for speeding 40 km/hr over and up!
You admit you were doing 80-90 km/hr ..........in a 60 km/hr zone ?

Oh yeah.....that's much better ! :rolleyes:
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Aug 13, 2006
280 posts
57 upvotes
Awww too bad....5km's more and you would of been walking home from Caledon holding a pricey souvenir from Peel's finest.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19188 posts
121807 upvotes
GTA
HongCao wrote:
Apr 17th, 2014 9:57 pm

Cops don't give a **** about the "flow of traffic". If you are exceeding the speed limit by more than 10 km/hr on a road like that, you're asking for trouble.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1839 posts
145 upvotes
Bolton
Good luck fighting that in Caledon court.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1989 posts
202 upvotes
You need to pay this to learn to accept responsibility
"I've been tearing money since my first Holy Communion."
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
11164 posts
874 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pupazzo wrote:
Apr 18th, 2014 10:20 am
you need to pay this to learn to accept responsibility
lmao...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1314 upvotes
toguy wrote:
Apr 18th, 2014 9:32 am
Cops don't give a **** about the "flow of traffic". If you are exceeding the speed limit by more than 10 km/hr on a road like that, you're asking for trouble.
Gee.....I can't believe the cop didn't buy that "flow of traffic" excuse and just let him off with a warning !

;)
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Aug 3, 2013
645 posts
66 upvotes
Forwarded this thread to peel region police tip line.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2011
116 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
The speed of traffic at the was going at 80-90 km/hr, which I was forced to go at the time.

Technically, everyone driving at the speed was violating the speed limit and they could have been caught. The only reason I believe I was caught, because I chose to stop and make a left turn at the MCDs. I was waiting at least 2 minutes at the red light, before the cop came behind me, which leads me to believe he really was in some obscure location clocking me. If I didn't stop and wait at the light and just kept going, I don't think I would have been pulled over.

Regardless, does anyone have advice to help me out of this?