Page 1 of 2

Calgary - Soundsaround Liquidation Sale

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 12:05 pm
by Dfish
September 9th.
Are these sales usually good? Does anyone have an opinion if it will be worthwhile to purchase a plasma TV?
http://shopping.calgaryherald.canada.co ... vid=194228

Re: Calgary - Soundsaround Liquidation Sale

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 12:12 pm
by T3rry
Is this the big 4 salejust they cheaped out and quit holding it at the big4?

if this isn't the big4 sale i'd wait for that.

Location is at the stores ?

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 12:14 pm
by hdom
So, this year is not at the big 4 but at their own stores ??

As for plasma, their feature Philips 50" one doesn't seem like much of a deal at all...

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 12:15 pm
by T3rry
hdom wrote:So, this year is not at the big 4 but in their own stores ??

As for plasma, their feature Philips 50" one doesn't seem like much of a deal at all... Costco has similar 50" for about the same if not less.

I'd never buy a phillips... they were a good name back in the day... but i have been far from impressed by their new stuff.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 1:41 pm
by junkinthetrunk
A warning about Soundsaround. I bought a refurb 42" Sony lcd projection from them and they swore up and down it had a 1 year warranty on it. They took out the 1 year warranty card, confirmed it with the manager - everything. My bill was marked final sale and I left with the tv.

As soon as I got it home, there was an issue with changing channels - made a huge popping noise through the speakers. They said to call Sony, I did, and there was no warranty. Needless to say, it was my word against the sales guy, so it went no where.

I solved the noise issue with the edition of a Shaw HD digital box (it changes the channels, not the Sony,) but I'm still pissed off at them. They lied to get my sale and I'll never go back.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 1:58 pm
by kringram
I will never, ever purchase anything from soundsaround again. I have had so many issues with their products, and sales people.

Plus they have the crappiest return policy in the business.

Better off to go to FS or BB or visions and get a price match.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 2:37 pm
by robskot
T3rry wrote:Is this the big 4 salejust they cheaped out and quit holding it at the big4?

if this isn't the big4 sale i'd wait for that.

Ya, this is the BIG 4 sale...Cheaped out this year. I had called last week about getting passes to the pre-sale and they told me it is all just instore this year.

And as above...their return policy is COMPLETE CRAP! As for their Sales People, they used to be good, but as with anything in Calgary these days, you don't anywhere near the customer service/knowledge as you would've 5 yrs ago. Just all part of the huge labour shortage here.

But...all that being said, this sale normally boasts some awsome prices that is worth overlooking the above. Just make sure it is something you really need or really really want. If it is broken in the frist few days, you can get it replaced after a bit of arguing...but if it is after 7 days, you have to right to the manufacture. You CAN NOT return any thing for refund, just store credit.

I bought my TV from them during this sale 2 years ago, and I am very happy with it. The sales guy was a goof, but.... 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other....

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 2:38 pm
by robskot
kringram wrote: Better off to go to FS or BB or visions and get a price match.
That's the other thing, BB, FS, Visions and AB Sound normally always put out their own CALGARY ONLY flyers for this weekend to, to compete with this sale.

Try to PM these Sales ??

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 2:46 pm
by hdom
Yeah, this is the best time to buy anything as they compete - we win. ;) However, any one tried to PM at FS/BB/etc for this sale before ??

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 3:22 pm
by T3rry
chances are they'd all say its a limited time offer and you can't do it (AKA their screw the customer clause), also it's impossible for them to check stock so they won't match it, as soundsaround is often very limited... also they don't advertise some of the really good deals so the only way to see the deal is to be there.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 4:28 pm
by robskot
T3rry wrote:chances are they'd all say its a limited time offer and you can't do it (AKA their screw the customer clause), also it's impossible for them to check stock so they won't match it, as soundsaround is often very limited... also they don't advertise some of the really good deals so the only way to see the deal is to be there.
If history shows as any example, SS will advertise all specials in both the Sun and Herald on Wed...unless they've cheaped out on that too!

EDIT: Just heard on CJAY that the adds are actually in the papers on Friday....

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 5:04 pm
by T3rry
robskot wrote:If history shows as any example, SS will advertise all specials in both the Sun and Herald on Wed...unless they've cheaped out on that too!

EDIT: Just heard on CJAY that the adds are actually in the papers on Friday....

yeah, but what they advertise is only really a small sample of the deals they're having.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 5:31 pm
by QuadESL63
robskot wrote:Ya, this is the BIG 4 sale...Cheaped out this year. I had called last week about getting passes to the pre-sale and they told me it is all just instore this year.

And as above...their return policy is COMPLETE CRAP! As for their Sales People, they used to be good, but as with anything in Calgary these days, you don't anywhere near the customer service/knowledge as you would've 5 yrs ago. Just all part of the huge labour shortage here.

But...all that being said, this sale normally boasts some awsome prices that is worth overlooking the above. Just make sure it is something you really need or really really want. If it is broken in the frist few days, you can get it replaced after a bit of arguing...but if it is after 7 days, you have to right to the manufacture. You CAN NOT return any thing for refund, just store credit.

I bought my TV from them during this sale 2 years ago, and I am very happy with it. The sales guy was a goof, but.... 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other....
Not in the Big4 building! Crap! That means I probably have to go to all three locations to find the stuffs that I wanted! :mad:

I got a Pioneer Elite receiver last year and it is a OK deal (in Canada). Pretty happy with it. No problem whatsoever. But the salespersons on site (Big4 last year) that I had talked to have zero product knowledge. You basically did your research, go early and grab the stuffs. They were pretty pushy, too, last year (I have been to one only even though I have been here for 10+ years :razz: ).

Posted: Sep 5th, 2006 8:59 pm
by robskot
T3rry wrote:yeah, but what they advertise is only really a small sample of the deals they're having.
Neg, last 3 years everything has been listed in the flyers...is normally about a 16-18 page flyer...they know exactly what they'll be having long in advance, as a pile of the product is previous seasons leftovers sold to them direct from the manufactures...or packages set up especailly for this...

I am guessing that it is going to be pretty lame this year...I am suprised this place is still in business...

Posted: Sep 7th, 2006 11:42 am
by Dfish
They have advertised a 50" Philips Plasma (50PF9431) for $2444. Any opinions on whether that is a good tv or a good price?

The Flyer Is Out And...ehhh.

Posted: Sep 8th, 2006 3:13 pm
by robskot
So I have just be going thru the 12-page flyer for the sale. This a lot of stuff in it, but nothing that catches my attn too much, but in the same sence, there is nothing I am wanting right now. It does appear quite disappointing compared to what is used to be.

A few things of interest include:

60 GB iPod Video, Blk or White - $388 - Not as cheap as TD had it, but no shipping...

Panasonic Shiatzu Massage Chair - $1188 - claim WAS $2998 (but they always base their WAS prices on what the item was priced at originally, even if it was 3 yrs ago - not what the current regular price is)

REFURB'd Shaw HD box - $144 after $212.75 in programming credits. (still can't believe I got NEW one for only $90!!!)
REFURB'd Shaw HD PVR - $333 after $212.75 in programming credits.

Sony DVD Camcorder DCRDVD92 - $498

Pioneer ELITE VSX59TXI A/V Receiver - $1888

Canon MiniDV ZR700 - $398

For the rest, find the office paper.

Visions also had a 2 page add with CALGARY only prices for tomorrow....the only thing kinda special in it was the the SONY 50" TV KFE50a10 for $1688...

Haven't seen anything from BB, FS or AB...but heard an add on the radio today that AB is having a sale to match...

Posted: Sep 8th, 2006 3:45 pm
by QuadESL63
So, which newspaper has the 12 pages flyer? Sun? Herald?
robskot wrote:Pioneer ELITE VSX59TXI A/V Receiver - $1888
So they still haven't gotten rid of them yet since last year clearance. This is Pioneer's top of the line but it doesn't have any HDMI ports and it doesn't offer any video upscaling (it only transcodes any composite/s-video source to components out. On the flip side, the amp section still sounds much better than any current receiver in the same price range and it has better build quality. It can decode WMA multichannel PCM audio stream from your PC via the USB connection.
robskot wrote:Haven't seen anything from BB, FS or AB...but heard an add on the radio today that AB is having a sale to match...
I have just gone to AB and I haven't notice anything (I didn't ask around, though). They only have a bunch of open box items out on sale.

Posted: Sep 8th, 2006 3:49 pm
by robskot
QuadESL63 wrote:So, which newspaper has the 12 pages flyer? Sun? Herald?
As posted before, in both...

Posted: Sep 8th, 2006 3:57 pm
by rc51
No sales on the Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD unit?

Posted: Sep 8th, 2006 4:07 pm
by Dfish
As far as I know, the FS sales people are negotiating prices on most of their electronics to compete with the Soundsaround sale.