• Jan 23rd, 2019 6:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2537 posts
1070 upvotes
, ON

California Shutters anyone?

Love it? Hate it? Why? Best place to get? Worst place to avoid?
47 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1272 posts
423 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Aren't they kind of out of style now? I think of them as being a 90's thing. But if they work for you... They're easy to clean, that's one thing.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13440 posts
10228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hate it. They are bulky and block out too much light even when the slats are open, unless you swing them open. Just plain ugly IMO.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2537 posts
1070 upvotes
, ON
so what kind of window treatments that are popular nowadays? Style, function, and reliability are what I am looking for.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2271 posts
793 upvotes
Mississauga
I love mine. Got it installed 2-3 years ago. I've converted two friends over too.

3.5" wood slats(with hidden tilt) which lets in lots of light. http://www.pcshutters.ca/
Apr 10, 2017
859 posts
288 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: so what kind of window treatments that are popular nowadays? Style, function, and reliability are what I am looking for.
I love my cellular shades. I have 5 windows that have the day/night option then the rest are light filtering. They claim energy efficiency.

It goes very well with my modern-ish home and minimalist style. I have a combination of Bali and Levolor. ~13 blinds total (above is the breakdown) and I've probably spent about $~3000k.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2537 posts
1070 upvotes
, ON
Biscayne05 wrote: I love my cellular shades. I have 5 windows that have the day/night option then the rest are light filtering. They claim energy efficiency.

It goes very well with my modern-ish home and minimalist style. I have a combination of Bali and Levolor. ~13 blinds total (above is the breakdown) and I've probably spent about $~3000k.
We need to see pictures :)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1250 posts
1005 upvotes
Winnipeg
I love, love, love my shutters. They give the house a crisp, clean look, go with everything and are maintenance free. I wouldn't call them modern.....more like classic, timeless. I had mine installed through Home Depot, and I was 100% happy with the quality and price, but obviously you'd have different installers there.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4171 posts
816 upvotes
California shutters block out a huge amount of light, even open.

We've got roller shades that are open during daylight hours. A fraction of the cost and let windows do their job.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2537 posts
1070 upvotes
, ON
What do you guys think if only first floor has california shutters and the second floor has shades? Is it weird that the first and second floor windows have different window coverings?

Also, where is the best place to get California shutters? Home depot is good? They offer 25 years warranty and i was quoted for $12k all in for about 19 windows
Jan 14, 2010
645 posts
184 upvotes
Central Ontario
Toukolou wrote: California shutters block out a huge amount of light, even open. We've got roller shades that are open during daylight hours. A fraction of the cost and let windows do their job.
+1. Have had naked windows for about 5 years now with blinds as needed functionally (usually rolled up, but strategically deployed in bright sun or nighttime). No dusting, brighter home.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2537 posts
1070 upvotes
, ON
anotherbargainhunter wrote: What do you guys think if only first floor has california shutters and the second floor has shades? Is it weird that the first and second floor windows have different window coverings?

Also, where is the best place to get California shutters? Home depot is good? They offer 25 years warranty and i was quoted for $12k all in for about 19 windows
Sorry I made a typo. I got quoted for $12k all in by Home Depot for 21 windows. Vinyl california shutters with 25 years warranty. Is this a good deal?

Also, I am also debating if it is a good look to do just the ground floor only and leave the 2nd floor with shades and save about half of the money.
Nov 9, 2011
774 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto
anotherbargainhunter wrote: What do you guys think if only first floor has california shutters and the second floor has shades? Is it weird that the first and second floor windows have different window coverings?

I would shop around some more, 12K from HD is overpriced. Check out www.pcshutters.ca that bubuski mentioned above.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2537 posts
1070 upvotes
, ON
tonershop wrote: I would shop around some more, 12K from HD is overpriced. Check out www.pcshutters.ca that bubuski mentioned above.
I will. How about Californiashutterstoronto.com? I am planning to get few more quotes.