• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 8:28 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
i actually love when these scammers call i like to play games with them till they get pissed off and hang up. there's actually a ton of people who do it and make utube videos of it lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
If you got lots of free time, just act like a confused senior that doesn't know his way around anything, make them explain everything 2 or 3 times, then just when you're about to "go to the bank" say you have to go to take a dump, go do a flush and hang up. Then laugh your head off
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
Scammer are getting more and more sophisticated, they can event spoof real cra numbers to make the scam look more real.

Anyway, with all the new incomer recently arrived, scammer try to make them scared.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
HyperTech wrote: Scammer are getting more and more sophisticated, they can event spoof real cra numbers to make the scam look more real.

Anyway, with all the new incomer recently arrived, scammer try to make them scared.
with voip programs like firertc and others u can put the caller id number down as pretty much anything most of the scam calls come up as local numbers.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
HyperTech wrote: Scammer are getting more and more sophisticated, they can event spoof real cra numbers to make the scam look more real.

If they sound Indian you can very safely assume it's a scam.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
arkane wrote: If they sound Indian you can very safely assume it's a scam.
not all of them are in India there are some from the philippines and Jamaica to.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
Correction - you can very safely assume *every* phone call is a scam, period. The fact that this thread even needs to exist is a bit disturbing to me.
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Something has to be done asap to these fraudsters.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
aaron158 wrote: with voip programs like firertc and others u can put the caller id number down as pretty much anything most of the scam calls come up as local numbers.
This is a serious problem/inherent security flaw with phone calls in general. Caller IDs and numbers can easily be spoofed.

There's no guarantee that the person on the other side is who they claim they are, similar to man in the middle attacks in computing.

That's why websites have security certificates which authenticate who they are. But with a phone call, there's no such feature. At least not that I'm aware of.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
cocotheparrot wrote: Something has to be done asap to these fraudsters.
nothing will be done even when there is a raid on the call centers. the police over there will just let them go in a day or two.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
The last one I had, quite some time ago, I informed the scammer of all the disturbing things his uncle does to his mother, something like that, threw in lots of details. He LOST IT, I have never heard someone so mad, lol. It was very satisfying thinking that I unhinged someone who probably gets verbal abuse all the time. The people doing this are bad people, they are knowingly trying to scam naive people, so they deserve anything that might make them stop doing it.

Surprisingly, that was the last call I ever had about CRA scams, probably a year ago. Maybe I am on a list somewhere.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
aaron158 wrote:
with voip programs like firertc and others u can put the caller id number down as pretty much anything most of the scam calls come up as local numbers.
Funny thing is a local number I don't recognize makes me even more suspicious since everyone I know is already in my contact list and will have a name associated with it.
aaron158 wrote: not all of them are in India there are some from the philippines and Jamaica to.
I just mean if they sound Indian then it's most definitely a scam.
Jan 21, 2009
425 posts
20 upvotes
here is what ive done
i bought a whistle and i tell them i cant hear them and get them close to the phone and blow the crap out of it. and trust me it hurts your ears lol specially if u have a head phone like these morons do
Oct 17, 2008
793 posts
331 upvotes
Earth
I always try to have some fun with these calls - I would tell my boss that CRA is coming to arrest me because I refused to comply and I am still waiting - please don't give me anymore work until further notice ! LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
Or act like you know the guy..

"Hey, George...is that you?? It's me, Jack!!! Jack Assamov, How ya doing... wow it's been how many years since we were in the same class!!

Throws them off their script completely...
Nov 5, 2019
109 posts
132 upvotes
Even the country official CBC news acknowledge that these scam calls posing as CRA are getting more prevalent now.
Such is the downside of countries ruled by big tyrannical governments obsessed with massive tax collections.

But then again, the, real CRA are not more noble either, taking money from the poor ordinary Canadians to feed rich corporations with political connections (especially big banks & energy big corporations). All thieves, I tell ya.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5360162
"Telescammers not only want your money. They're also after your phone number"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cra-phon ... -1.4830141
'They're nothing but financial terrorists': 60,000 Canadians have complained about the CRA phone scam
Nov 5, 2019
109 posts
132 upvotes
Darkman wrote: CRA location: India.
Hahaha! Not trying to be racist, but it actually kind of makes sense the more we think about it, given the current context of over-globalization and massive Canadian job outsourcing to southeast asian countries, plus the massive refugee acceptance by the Trudeau's liberal government, and the fact that so many Canadian real estate properties are owned by rich foreigners outside of Canada.
Normally it would not be much of a problem, except that many Canadians now are suffering from horrible job and economic prospects right now (eg. lower wage from gig economy increased job competition, unaffordable housing prices thanks to rich foreigner investors monopolizing real estates, long term unemployment in conjunction with frequent corporate layoffs & firings, wexit vs Quebec indepdence, greedy CRA demanding even more fines and taxes from poor ordinary Canadians...etc. TONS of problems in the country right now).

Canadian interests (including the governments and CRA) is already hijacked by wealthier foreign interests. Or prehaps Canadian sovereignty was never that strong in the first place.
Dec 16, 2019
9 posts
7 upvotes

would a real government attorney office call show up as just the number or with a caller ID too?