• Oct 14th, 2017 10:00 pm
[OP]
Aug 26, 2013
29 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton

Call Options to buy before earnings?

Since there is no dedicated group discussion on call options

Which stocks do you guys expect to crush their earnings report and worth to buy call options ahead of earnings?
6 replies
Jul 27, 2017
443 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
unknown?

Keep in mind depending on the time that you buy the calls, whether they are in the money, at the money or out of the money, the option expiry date, their implied volatility & other factors.... all options have time decay, even when the news is good.

https://www.m-x.ca/nego_cotes_en.php
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2479 posts
411 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Any of the FAANNG stocks or other high flyers.

The issue is whether to buy calls or puts if expect sizable move after earnings. Plus, what option price.

The house wins majority of the time with options so unless using spec money or very rich. Disclosure: I do have some of portfolio for spec and do buy calls/puts from time to time.
Oct 12, 2014
78 posts
4 upvotes
North York, ON
georvu wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:12 pm
Any of the FAANNG stocks or other high flyers.

The issue is whether to buy calls or puts if expect sizable move after earnings. Plus, what option price.

The house wins majority of the time with options so unless using spec money or very rich. Disclosure: I do have some of portfolio for spec and do buy calls/puts from time to time.

Any books?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2479 posts
411 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
yellowlight18 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:21 pm
Any books?
Self taught and learnt and still learning thru experience and mistakes.

There was a thread in investing forum on options... search for it questions-about-options-trading-2019413/ but not active it seems anymore

There are also quite a few RFD folks much more knowledgeable them me on options who can be asked.

Presently thinking of buying some FB puts for after earnings; spec acct.