Oct 26, 2011
58 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver

Callcentric: Free NY DID

Callcentric now offer free DIDs for certain NY area codes:

347, 646, 718, 917

see http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number

Useful for getting a google voice number set up to use as an intermediate number to get your call to canada.

There is fine print (see below). If you have already got 911 service, then might be best to sign up out of north america.

Fine print:

Are there any limitations to how I use the Free Phone Number?

Yes, the following special terms apply to Free Phone Numbers:

They may not be re-sold / rented / leased or given away to another individual or organization. You must be the end-user of the number assigned to use the Free Phone Number.
They may not be sold or given away for free by any other telecommunications and/or VoIP service provider to their customers.
US and Canada customers with Free Phone Number(s) on their account will be required to activate 911 for an additional fee as per FCC / CRTC regulations.
Any limitations, restrictions, or terms on the Free Phone Number product may be changed at any time.
Of course all of our standard Terms and Conditions also apply.

Special limitations on Free Phone Numbers:

Limited quantities may be available in each area. Callcentric may discontinue offering the Free Phone Number product for specific number(s) / area(s), or the entire product in whole or in part, to both new and existing customers at any time.
Numbers cannot be ported (LNP) into the Free Phone Number product.
Numbers assigned by Callcentric as Free Phone Numbers may not be ported-away (LNP) from Callcentric and the underlying carrier serving them unless: the number is active on the customers account at the time of the port-out request (LSR), AND a $25.00 one-time port-out fee is paid prior to the number being released for port-out.
Each Free Phone Number must receive call(s) totaling at least one (1) completed minute of use every three (3) months or they may be removed from your account without warning.
You may not be able to re-order your number(s) if you have number(s) cancelled / removed from your account. If your Free Phone Number is removed from your account either because you cancelled it, and/or due to non-use, you may not be able to re-order it under the Free Phone Number product unless that area is being offered under the Free Phone Number product at the time of re-order.
23 replies
Aug 23, 2010
988 posts
86 upvotes
i'm not familiar with internet phoning, do you mind explaining a little more what this does?

i'm moving to manhattan in a few months so it looks like something i might want but i have no idea how to use it

thanks
Contests Won: None :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
6426 posts
4839 upvotes
Sooooo, with all their fine print, is it actually free or not?

:?: :?: :?:
Nov 21, 2009
428 posts
60 upvotes
Calgary
But includes no plan, so can't call out or receive calls for free other than from SIP URLs or callcentric #?

How to make use of this for free?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1263 posts
533 upvotes
ssy080 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 7:33 pm
But includes no plan, so can't call out or receive calls for free other than from SIP URLs or callcentric #?

How to make use of this for free?

You download a SIP client for your computer or for your smartphone. You enter your Callcentric credentials. You sign up for GoogleVoice using your Callcentric number. Then you can call anywhere in North America for free by going to the GoogleVoice page in a web browser. Great deal, thank you OP!
Nov 21, 2009
428 posts
60 upvotes
Calgary
elwebmaster wrote:
May 8th, 2012 10:03 pm
You download a SIP client for your computer or for your smartphone. You enter your Callcentric credentials. You sign up for GoogleVoice using your Callcentric number. Then you can call anywhere in North America for free by going to the GoogleVoice page in a web browser. Great deal, thank you OP!

Oh? I see. But to register with Google voice, don't you have to be able to receive an automated call from them? Since callcentric doesn't include any plans (meaning no free incoming?), how could you register with GV?

Am I misunderstanding?

Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
6426 posts
4839 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote:

Let's just say you're out of the country, you can call anyone for free, but won't you be charged roaming charges for using data.

If you're within your local area, this might be good assuming you have a decent data plan as well.

Which brings me to the last question... How much data will each minute use?

Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1263 posts
533 upvotes
ssy080 wrote:
May 9th, 2012 12:04 am
Oh? I see. But to register with Google voice, don't you have to be able to receive an automated call from them? Since callcentric doesn't include any plans (meaning no free incoming?), how could you register with GV?

Am I misunderstanding?

The number does come with unlimited incoming, it is pay per use but 0c/minute, not sure if this is a temporary promo or it will always be like this.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1263 posts
533 upvotes
IDStorms wrote:
May 9th, 2012 7:49 am
Let's just say you're out of the country, you can call anyone for free, but won't you be charged roaming charges for using data.

If you're within your local area, this might be good assuming you have a decent data plan as well.

Which brings me to the last question... How much data will each minute use?

Your understanding is correct. But you can use it at home over WiFi or if you travel over WiFi also. You can use it with data plan as well. The data consumption depends on the settings of your client (I.e. "codec") but with default settings it uses up to 1MB/min. While traveling abroad it is usually cheaper to get a prepaid data sim (the ones for iPad for example, they are all the same) as opposed to paying local rates + buying a calling card.
You can use it to send text messages as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
6426 posts
4839 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote:
May 9th, 2012 11:32 am
Your understanding is correct. But you can use it at home over WiFi or if you travel over WiFi also. You can use it with data plan as well. The data consumption depends on the settings of your client (I.e. "codec") but with default settings it uses up to 1MB/min. While traveling abroad it is usually cheaper to get a prepaid data sim (the ones for iPad for example, they are all the same) as opposed to paying local rates + buying a calling card.
You can use it to send text messages as well.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2240 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
elwebmaster wrote:

Isn't this feature available for free for ordinary gmail users? What's the advanctage of opening a separate GoogleVoice account?
Apr 2, 2008
962 posts
142 upvotes
GTA
pipolchap wrote:
May 9th, 2012 1:18 pm
Isn't this feature available for free for ordinary gmail users? What's the advanctage of opening a separate GoogleVoice account?

Google Voice (Grand Central) has stopped offering to non U.S. clients / IP's. If you have one from the old days, keep it and never change any of those non U.S. numbers.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1263 posts
533 upvotes
pipolchap wrote:
May 9th, 2012 1:18 pm

I am not sure, doesn't the GMail feature require you to install a desktop browser plugin? If so, the advantage of GoogleVoice is that it can be used on a smartphone/tablet. You can also purchase an ATA adapter for 50$ and have your regular landline phone connected to Callcentric. This could be an advantage for people who make long calls to US and prefer to use a regular phone instead of their PC.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11150 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 036AAaoWCb

elwebmaster wrote:
May 9th, 2012 3:18 pm
I am not sure, doesn't the GMail feature require you to install a desktop browser plugin? If so, the advantage of GoogleVoice is that it can be used on a smartphone/tablet. You can also purchase an ATA adapter for 50$ and have your regular landline phone connected to Callcentric. This could be an advantage for people who make long calls to US and prefer to use a regular phone instead of their PC.
× < >