Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1633 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga

Caller ID useless.

Have tried many times to try and identify a number. Reverse call etc.

What a complete waste of time.

Therefore, caller for me is marked as spam, unsafe, etc.

Anybody had better luck?

Thanks.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2046 posts
2042 upvotes
Living the dream
It's easy to to spoof phone numbers using caller ID these days. A lot of voip provides allow the user to set their own caller ID and there are many free/disposable internet phone service providers out there who allow you to sign up for an account with full anonymity. Using a service to trace the origin of the number is typically useless but the Caller ID feature itself is still pretty useful to the average person and is still helpful with screening telephone calls. If you are being harassed by someone you can file a police report, they may be able to help, although sometimes your only real option is to change your number and only give it out to those you personally know and trust. If it's telemarketing or something to that affect all you can really do is screen the call and block unknown numbers, however telemarketers these days just change their phone number the next time they call.
The name is pronounced El‧u‧àr‧do. I am the ultimate deal hunter, y'all just gatherers. I was the first openly black man to get a Costco membership.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2774 posts
597 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Let me correct you redpatterson,

caller id is usefull, but spam callers and telemarketers who SPOOF CALLER ID, make it useless at times
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3352 posts
193 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I blocked like 100 numbers on my cell phone.I hope I didn't block people I know by mistake.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1633 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
To the above Gentlemen and perhaps, Ladies. Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated.

Makes sense.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2279 posts
1223 upvotes
Its really too bad the telecom industry lost control over their network(s) and allow calls to be injected from anywhere. They used to have so-called "ANI" information that was useful, but even that's very suspect these days.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1633 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
burnt69 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 10:48 pm
Its really too bad the telecom industry lost control over their network(s) and allow calls to be injected from anywhere. They used to have so-called "ANI" information that was useful, but even that's very suspect these days.
In other words the phone companies are being hacked? Also allowing anyone to do what they will with their companies and services Not that they care. They would have to spend money to solve the problem. Sad.

Thank you.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2774 posts
597 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
no not hacked, just the scammers are finding vulnerabilities in the limitation of the "technology" phone companies do not "create" the technology, they just use what the vendors give them, hope that makes sense
Hi
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1633 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 11:11 am
no not hacked, just the scammers are finding vulnerabilities in the limitation of the "technology" phone companies do not "create" the technology, they just use what the vendors give them, hope that makes sense
Yes, thank you. That does make sense. Guess, we are up the Creek without a paddle.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1320 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
Im still stumped as to how many people can't get a 416 phone number but these nigerian and India scammers can spoof hundreds of 416 numbers and throw them away, how is it possible?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2279 posts
1223 upvotes
redpattison wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 10:41 am
In other words the phone companies are being hacked? Also allowing anyone to do what they will with their companies and services Not that they care. They would have to spend money to solve the problem. Sad.
No, they're not being hacked. The telephone industry used to be an industry that prided itself on security, restrictive access, and stability. Yes, having a phone and using long distance cost a fortune, but it was a fairly secure system for which calls could be traced with reasonable reliability.

These days, its a complete free-for-all.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9910 posts
6239 upvotes
Edmonton
eonibm wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 4:34 pm
That's why I don't waste the energy to block calls as scammers just change their #. I also don't waste the energy to answer calls I don't recognize. The rest go to vm.

This. If it's not important enough for someone to leave me a VM, I suspect it's not important enough for me to answer. I bought a cell phone for my convenience, not everyone else's.

C
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2730 posts
1491 upvotes
Kitchener
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 12:25 pm
Im still stumped as to how many people can't get a 416 phone number but these nigerian and India scammers can spoof hundreds of 416 numbers and throw them away, how is it possible?
Anyone can spoof a 416 number. Can one call back that number and get the spoofer? No -- they could end up talking to some Italian senior living in Downsview.

Hell, if you have a 416 number it isn't not a impossibility that they could spoof your number and harass a friend of yours. They're not throwing away any number, they may simply stop using it. And in some cases, force people to change their number.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2774 posts
597 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i don't waist any energy to block spam calls and scammers either, they simply just recycle their number and call from a new number, so your block list ends up being filled with useless numbers that probably will never call you back from so its kind of pointless if u think about it. there needs to be a block at the network level
Hi

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)