• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2018 8:04 am
Tags:
Dec 17, 2008
116 posts
13 upvotes

Calling all Ford Explorers

Hi folks,

I am in the market for a new or used Ford Explorer depending on value for money. I have seen almost every new 7-seater truck and found Ford Explorer to be the most suitable. But I don't know how seriously should I take online reviews which are generally not good. In fact, some websites such as fordproblems.com suggest Explorer is the worst Ford model and 2016 Explorer is the worst year in recent times (throttle is the most common issue). So I have some questions for current/past Explorer owners/drivers. Inputs are welcome from people who chose to not buy Explorer.

1. What kinds of problems have you faced, how serious and how frequently?
2. How many recalls have you had in total or average/year?
3. How much did your dealer co-operate during problems or recalls?
4. Have you spent more maintenance dollars than you would've otherwise for regular servicing?
5. 2015 / 2016 / 2017 owners, why do you, if you do, wish you hadn't bought your Explorer?
6. Which Ford dealerships in Ontario are widely considered as the best for price, finance/lease rates, and recurring service?
7. Is it worth using a middleman to negotiate a better price on new/used Ford Explorer?

Many thanks to all replies.
71 replies
Jul 4, 2009
106 posts
64 upvotes
I'm in the same boat. Looking at a 2017 Explorer Sport. Just wanted to add 1 more question:

8. Is it worth waiting for Ford Employee Pricing? If you are expecting say invoice + $800 as far as business-as-usual pricing, how low will they go during employee pricing? Will they go several 000's below invoice?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
konax wrote: Hi folks,

I am in the market for a new or used Ford Explorer depending on value for money. I have seen almost every new 7-seater truck and found Ford Explorer to be the most suitable. But I don't know how seriously should I take online reviews which are generally not good. In fact, some websites such as fordproblems.com suggest Explorer is the worst Ford model and 2016 Explorer is the worst year in recent times (throttle is the most common issue). So I have some questions for current/past Explorer owners/drivers. Inputs are welcome from people who chose to not buy Explorer.

4. Have you spent more maintenance dollars than you would've otherwise for regular servicing?
5. 2015 / 2016 / 2017 owners, why do you, if you do, wish you hadn't bought your Explorer?
6. Which Ford dealerships in Ontario are widely considered as the best for price, finance/lease rates, and recurring service?
7. Is it worth using a middleman to negotiate a better price on new/used Ford Explorer?

1.What kinds of problems have you faced, how serious and how frequently?
no issues to date and I took delivery of the new 2016 redesign back in Nov 2015

0 recalls, but lots of TSB, but only actioned, if issues arises

N/A

N/A

Factory paint sucks, wash from PDI resulted in swirls and I had to pay for paint correction and opti-coat.
Little to no sparkles in the standard paint and should have upgraded to tricoat

In my region, they're all the same and a 45min trek out of the city, got me the better deal out of 5 dealerships

with employee pricing, Costco discount and additional discounts on the dealer's side, you can knock off thousands
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
opex wrote: I'm in the same boat. Looking at a 2017 Explorer Sport. Just wanted to add 1 more question:

8. Is it worth waiting for Ford Employee Pricing? If you are expecting say invoice + $800 as far as business-as-usual pricing, how low will they go during employee pricing? Will they go several 000's below invoice?

Thanks
8. Only if buying in cash, as Ford jacks up the interests rate during the promo and pretty much negates all savings.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
you can add number....

9. How much money will I lose in mind boggling depreciation on loaded models as soon as I drive it off the lot and how much will I lose after 3 years.
Around $10-$15,000 after you drive off the lot and around $20-$25,000 after 3 years.

If you're in this segment looking at the $40K+ loaded models I would much rather go with a 4Runner. A lot more solid and it will keep a lot more of it's value.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
ottofly wrote: you can add number....

9. How much money will I lose in mind boggling depreciation on loaded models as soon as I drive it off the lot and how much will I lose after 3 years.
Around $10-$15,000 after you drive off the lot and around $20-$25,000 after 3 years.

If you're in this segment looking at the $40K+ loaded models I would much rather go with a 4Runner. A lot more solid and it will keep a lot more of it's value.
Very good advice Otto ;)
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
konax wrote: Hi folks,

1 - had no problems
2- experienced no recalls during time I owned it
3- didnt cooperate
4- $0. I sold it for more than I bought it for
5- it wasnt that new, my explorer was a '92
6- none - screw dealerships
7- no, negotiate yourself on a private sale

opex wrote: I'm in the same boat. Looking at a 2017 Explorer Sport. Just wanted to add 1 more question:

Thanks
8- if you want to waste money sure, negotiate on a private used sale

Overall, I was pretty happy with it, served me a good couple years
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1700 posts
999 upvotes
ottofly wrote: you can add number....

I think 25k depreciation after 3 years is way too much. Even 20k is pushing it. A 2017 Explorer limited is like 48k. Right now a 2014 limited is selling for 32-35k. Not bad for 3 years.

Although the 4runner doesn't depreciate (they don't sell many) the interior is crap. The ride is like a truck. And there is literally 6 inches of space between the 3rd row and the Hatch. As a 7 passenger it is terrible.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
ziaa wrote: I think 25k depreciation after 3 years is way too much. Even 20k is pushing it. A 2017 Explorer limited is like 48k. Right now a 2014 limited is selling for 32-35k. Not bad for 3 years.

Although the 4runner doesn't depreciate (they don't sell many) the interior is crap. The ride is like a truck. And there is literally 6 inches of space between the 3rd row and the Hatch. As a 7 passenger it is terrible.
Thats because thats how its meant to ride. Its not a CUV. Its a body on frame SUV. Since 2011, the explorer has changed to a unibody platform.
Smash that like button!
Nov 4, 2008
626 posts
425 upvotes
GTA
ziaa wrote: Although the 4runner doesn't depreciate (they don't sell many) the interior is crap. The ride is like a truck. And there is literally 6 inches of space between the 3rd row and the Hatch. As a 7 passenger it is terrible.
Not to mention poor small overlap crash test results. Unacceptable in 2017!

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=J8RtgISCPew

http://m.iihs.org/mobile/ratings/mobile ... r-suv/2017

But the 2017 Ford Explorer also doesn't have a good small overlap crash test result which is very surprising!

http://m.iihs.org/mobile/ratings/mobile ... 4-door-suv
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
brutus99 wrote: Not to mention poor small overlap crash test results. Unacceptable in 2017!

But the 2017 Ford Explorer also doesn't have a good small overlap crash test result which is very surprising!

explorer got worse than the 4runner
Smash that like button!
Feb 1, 2017
166 posts
141 upvotes
ziaa wrote: I think 25k depreciation after 3 years is way too much. Even 20k is pushing it. A 2017 Explorer limited is like 48k. Right now a 2014 limited is selling for 32-35k.
$48k is msrp. So based on msrp, after tax and fees it's more like $58k! So absolutely yes, $20k-$25k depreciation is bang on.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
brutus99 wrote: Not to mention poor small overlap crash test results. Unacceptable in 2017!

But top scores for all other crash. Lol
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
yselfandi wrote: $48k is msrp. So based on msrp, after tax and fees it's more like $58k! So absolutely yes, $20k-$25k depreciation is bang on.
If you're dumb enough to pay $58k, then you deserve taking such a huge depreciation.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
ziaa wrote: I think 25k depreciation after 3 years is way too much. Even 20k is pushing it. A 2017 Explorer limited is like 48k. Right now a 2014 limited is selling for 32-35k. Not bad for 3 years.

Feb 1, 2017
166 posts
141 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: If you're dumb enough to pay $58k, then you deserve taking such a huge depreciation.
If you're dumb enough to buy a Ford as your daily driver, then you deserve taking such a huge depreciation. Because everybody knows they have horrible re-sale value.

Now yes, there are a few exceptions of ford cars retaining their value and even appreciating, but none of those are daily drivers.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
yselfandi wrote: If you're dumb enough to buy a Ford as your daily driver, then you deserve taking such a huge depreciation. Because everybody knows they have horrible re-sale value.

Now yes, there are a few exceptions of ford cars retaining their value and even appreciating, but none of those are daily drivers.
Every vehicle depreciates...even your daily driver.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1700 posts
999 upvotes
yselfandi wrote:
$48k is msrp. So based on msrp, after tax and fees it's more like $58k! So absolutely yes, $20k-$25k depreciation is bang on.
Fair enough. I didn't consider taxes as part of the new price.
ottofly wrote:

I am not sure what location that is. I searched autotrader, and within 500km of my location (GTA) the cheapest is 30k with higher than average mileage. Maybe it's cheaper elsewhere in the country.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Dec 17, 2008
116 posts
13 upvotes
Thanks to all those who replied. I wish there was feedback from more 2016 owners like vkizzlze because that's the model year I've heard most concerns about.

Wondering if someone can suggest good websites to search used and new in one place and subscribe to daily updates (other than autotrader). It's painful to go to each Ford dealer's website to check inventory. Ottofly I found your price snapshot interesting - what's the source for this?

At this point, I am not entirely sure if I would go for used or new. When I am comparing the cheapest used on autotrader (2015+, under 20k km) and new 2017 (ford.ca) for the XLT trim and minimum features I want (AWD and dual moonroof), the price difference is about $8K before negotiations. Now $8k looks big but it becomes $4k including 3.9% financing rate on used vs 0% on new. Then I probably won't get the Costco discount on used and lose pro rata warranty.

May be I am missing something.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41803 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
konax wrote: Thanks to all those who replied. I wish there was feedback from more 2016 owners like vkizzlze because that's the model year I've heard most concerns about.

Wondering if someone can suggest good websites to search used and new in one place and subscribe to daily updates (other than autotrader). It's painful to go to each Ford dealer's website to check inventory. Ottofly I found your price snapshot interesting - what's the source for this?

At this point, I am not entirely sure if I would go for used or new. When I am comparing the cheapest used on autotrader (2015+, under 20k km) and new 2017 (ford.ca) for the XLT trim and minimum features I want (AWD and dual moonroof), the price difference is about $8K before negotiations. Now $8k looks big but it becomes $4k including 3.9% financing rate on used vs 0% on new. Then I probably won't get the Costco discount on used and lose pro rata warranty.

May be I am missing something.
Considering you're looking at the XLT (NA v6), you're good to go, as the only reliability issues are the DI turbo engines (2.3L and 3.5L ecoboost); as they will eventually suffer carbon issue on the back side of the intake valves; but there are aftermarket bolt-on solution to mitigate.