calling out fandroids.. ************

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2012 3:57 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 28, 2008
571 posts
53 upvotes
hexagon wrote: I dont have the time or expertise to do it but it would be intresting to see a meta-analysis of the smartphone threads on this forum or the internet in general

I would like to find out objectivly whether "fandroids" troll iphone threads more or whether "isheeps" troll Android threads more

What do people think the percentge for each would be?
Well, just a quick count in this thread has it as:

7 posts that are trolling/could be considered trolling PRO APPLE/ANTI ANDROID

and

2 posts that are trolling/could be considered trolling PRO ANDROID/ANTI APPLE
Sep 28, 2008
571 posts
53 upvotes
hexagon wrote: I dont have the time or expertise to do it but it would be intresting to see a meta-analysis of the smartphone threads on this forum or the internet in general

I would like to find out objectivly whether "fandroids" troll iphone threads more or whether "isheeps" troll Android threads more

What do people think the percentge for each would be?
Also, just went into this thread:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/who-else ... a-1235851/

And for the most part, it is a very good discussion except for one user attempting to troll with this comment:

"920, lol
But seriously, what iphone5 are you guys getting, white or black?"
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
HandsomeRob wrote: I don't care, I wouldn't roll down my window and shout 'by car is better'.

But when you see somebody driving a Volkswagen Sirocco and proclaiming it the best car in the entire world and if you say any differently you're just a brand X lover, you call a spade a spade. I think it's something like this:

Apple Haters>iSheep>fanDroids. Especially since the lawsuits, tons more people hate Apple without necessarily rolling down their window and proclaiming 'mine is better'. Apple has worked very hard to build this brand on an island, that's the reason you don't see the same kind of religious fervor for Androids or BlackBerries, there is no wikipedia article title, 'android evangelical'. It seems kind of silly to pretend like it doesn't exist and isn't completely lopsided.
Nobody said it doesn't exist. My point is why care or comment on the fact that it does or how it affects other people than yourself. If someone attacks something you have a vested interest, then maybe. Otherwise this is a semi adult version of my dad can beat up your dad mixed with the kettle calling the kettle black. All of you who beat your chest and proclaim your stuff to be the best are pawns. It's been said before that all of the manufacturers of like products and all of the service providers meet to decide how the next round is played and they are all buddies. Knowing what I know, who I know, and what I have seen gone down in the past with the industry, I can attest that that particular comment isn't completely untrue. People don't like change and they don't like to learn anything new, so they try to protect their environment. Sounds like the US doesn't it? See how lack of change is affecting them.

Lawsuits are none of your matter, just like the iOS maps, just like others who waste time looking for faults in something they don't even own to assure themselves, or the " tons of people who hate Apple". If the Apple product was superior in every way, they would be hated on for price. If it was superior in every way and the cheapest, they would be hated on for selling so many phones, they would be called a monopoly ( they would be able to dictate the market ), with no alternative options. So it is a good thing that the other products are different, not a bad thing on any of the products because they differ.

I have used the "Apple on an island" theory myself, in conversation, but I'd argue that BB has done the same. Many BB users are in denial of the benefits of an Android or Apple phone and figure that out when they are excluded not for choice, but for the lack of technology to stay part of the group. I feel sad when a friend reaches for his BB and says " wow, how do I do that" and I say " Well you can't because your phone doesn't do that".
Dec 12, 2010
611 posts
55 upvotes
I can understand disliking hardware manufacturers (LG, Motorola, Sony), but openly trolling against an open-source project like Android is beyond the realm of logic.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: Nobody said it doesn't exist. My point is why care or comment on the fact that it does or how it affects other people than yourself. If someone attacks something you have a vested interest, then maybe. Otherwise this is a semi adult version of my dad can beat up your dad mixed with the kettle calling the kettle black. All of you who beat your chest and proclaim your stuff to be the best are pawns. It's been said before that all of the manufacturers of like products and all of the service providers meet to decide how the next round is played and they are all buddies. Knowing what I know, who I know, and what I have seen gone down in the past with the industry, I can attest that that particular comment isn't completely untrue. People don't like change and they don't like to learn anything new, so they try to protect their environment. Sounds like the US doesn't it? See how lack of change is affecting them.

Lawsuits are none of your matter, just like the iOS maps, just like others who waste time looking for faults in something they don't even own to assure themselves, or the " tons of people who hate Apple". If the Apple product was superior in every way, they would be hated on for price. If it was superior in every way and the cheapest, they would be hated on for selling so many phones, they would be called a monopoly ( they would be able to dictate the market ), with no alternative options. So it is a good thing that the other products are different, not a bad thing on any of the products because they differ.

I have used the "Apple on an island" theory myself, in conversation, but I'd argue that BB has done the same. Many BB users are in denial of the benefits of an Android or Apple phone and figure that out when they are excluded not for choice, but for the lack of technology to stay part of the group. I feel sad when a friend reaches for his BB and says " wow, how do I do that" and I say " Well you can't because your phone doesn't do that".
lol kinda funny how you go on to say why would you rip on another platform then go on and take a knock at BB...maybe we can count those posts instead lol
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
rems wrote: lol kinda funny how you go on to say why would you rip on another platform then go on and take a knock at BB...maybe we can count those posts instead lol
Funny how you would take the truth as a knock. They don't have common apps for BB that work. I did this? I also mention that they built themselves on an island like Apple did, but you glossed over that part and selected the BB comment.

Apple has no flash support. Has balance now been restored in your world because I "ripped" into Apple.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: Funny how you would take the truth as a knock. They don't have common apps for BB that work. I did this? I also mention that they built themselves on an island like Apple did, but you glossed over that part and selected the BB comment.

Apple has no flash support. Has balance now been restored in your world because I "ripped" into Apple.
But the truth is the the apple maps suck. But you're saying people can't point that out and that it's "none of our matter".
Yet you go and point out what sucks about BB. Just pointing out the hypocrisy...

Edit: Oh the Bold99xx don't have flash either :-)
Sep 19, 2012
60 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Xpwmata wrote: I can understand disliking hardware manufacturers (LG, Motorola, Sony), but openly trolling against an open-source project like Android is beyond the realm of logic.
Is Android truly open?
There is a perfect image of what Android is supposed to be, what Google and Android's staunchest adherents purport it to be, and then there is Android as it is practiced in reality.

Android as it is being sold to you by OEMs and wireless carriers is a lie. It is Android interpreted and regurgitated as perverted scripture from false prophets.

If Android were practiced by OEMs and carriers from a "fundamentalist" standpoint, then we would have no such thing as fragmentation, and it would not take months or the better part of a year to receive software updates after the latest code from Google is released.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
hexagon wrote: Is Android truly open?
It is if you buy a Nexus device like mine. If you opt for something like an S3 or another phone with manufacturer-specific software you know what you're getting into.

That being said, getting this worked up over a phone is dumb. I plan to jump back to my Blackberry if their new devices live up to the hype. Not because Android sucks or anything, but because I prefer the way RIM does things. I'll be losing the $30 I've spent on Android apps, but hopefully they'll have the same ones in the RIM ecosystem.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Xpwmata wrote: I can understand disliking hardware manufacturers (LG, Motorola, Sony), but openly trolling against an open-source project like Android is beyond the realm of logic.
Idealism is nice, but how open is Android really? Remember when honeycomb was only made available to a select number of partners and when the source was pulled? Think Acer and Alibaba feel it is very open? Didn't verizon block google wallet for a while?

At best it is a parody of an open source project.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes
This is ridiculous.

Android fans say 1 good thing about iOS.

Vice versa for iOS fans.

:facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
I think best way to resolve or make this is a non issue is don't feed the ios vs android debate. Everyone has a choice and if one prefers ios over android then does not make them "stupid"... its just a preference. We are accepting of Gays and Lesbians this phone stuff is not as controversial.

I mostly ignore comments for/against the two and most of us should do the same and these debates/"flame wars" will be non existant.

- iSheep
Dec 12, 2010
611 posts
55 upvotes
hexagon wrote: Is Android truly open?
Hence my initial disclaimer of "I can understand disliking hardware manufacturers". I guess you missed that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Yes. Windows rocks! :-)

canadiankorean wrote: Oh the good old days of Windows vs OSX (PC vs Mac).
btw. Windows rules!
lol
Sep 19, 2012
60 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Xpwmata wrote: Hence my initial disclaimer of "I can understand disliking hardware manufacturers". I guess you missed that.
Its inspiring to hear from one of you true believers
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
rems wrote: But the truth is the the apple maps suck. But you're saying people can't point that out and that it's "none of our matter".
Yet you go and point out what sucks about BB. Just pointing out the hypocrisy...

Edit: Oh the Bold99xx don't have flash either :-)
The point you are missing is I am not making fun of people for their choices, I am pointing out deficiencies in some product. People are calling people isheep and other manufactured names because iOS 6 maps suck? Do you see the difference? Where did I say you can't point out that IOS 6 maps suck? I said if it of no consequence to you, what do you have to gain by mentioning it? So that means that the deficiency is being used as a tool to validate ones decision and also to put down someone else with no gain or benefit, which is just a veiled bullying tactic.

Hopefully you clearly understand the difference in making fun of people versus pointing out deficiencies in a product. Calling it hypocrisy is a failed synopsis on your part. Technically anybody that fails to embrace anything new can be considered a "sheep", but it isn't acceptable to walk around and use the terminology to describe people that consistently do something different from yourself. I never said you cannot point out a deficiency, but I do say that a deficiency that doesn't concern you is not grounds for insulting anothers' intelligence or themselves personally.

So IOS 6 maps are unacceptable, it isn't the people that bought the products' fault. There are other benefits to the product that they may have wanted and the maps thing can be circumvented using HTML until Apple fixes the massive screwup.

I pointed out something major for which there is no logical beneficial reason to do and I get people taking things out of context and reading snippets and construeing as they like, instead of understanding the whole point. Comprehension is key. Putting words in someone's mouth and exaggerating isn't helping. The isheep and fandroid name calling is unnecessary. Some of the products have benefits over the others and some of those benefits will never be realized by potential buyers and there is no call to bash them because you don't have the details of their requirements and choices may have been made on what was available the time, not what is available currently.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: The point you are missing is I am not making fun of people for their choices, I am pointing out deficiencies in some product. People are calling people isheep and other manufactured names because iOS 6 maps suck? Do you see the difference? Where did I say you can't point out that IOS 6 maps suck? I said if it of no consequence to you, what do you have to gain by mentioning it? So that means that the deficiency is being used as a tool to validate ones decision and also to put down someone else with no gain or benefit, which is just a veiled bullying tactic.

Hopefully you clearly understand the difference in making fun of people versus pointing out deficiencies in a product. Calling it hypocrisy is a failed synopsis on your part. Technically anybody that fails to embrace anything new can be considered a "sheep", but it isn't acceptable to walk around and use the terminology to describe people that consistently do something different from yourself. I never said you cannot point out a deficiency, but I do say that a deficiency that doesn't concern you is not grounds for insulting anothers' intelligence or themselves personally.

So IOS 6 maps are unacceptable, it isn't the people that bought the products' fault. There are other benefits to the product that they may have wanted and the maps thing can be circumvented using HTML until Apple fixes the massive screwup.

I pointed out something major for which there is no logical beneficial reason to do and I get people taking things out of context and reading snippets and construeing as they like, instead of understanding the whole point. Comprehension is key. Putting words in someone's mouth and exaggerating isn't helping. The isheep and fandroid name calling is unnecessary. Some of the products have benefits over the others and some of those benefits will never be realized by potential buyers and there is no call to bash them because you don't have the details of their requirements and choices may have been made on what was available the time, not what is available currently.
But if someone is denying that a certain something is deficient, what's wrong with calling them iSheep or Fandroid? I don't know how anyone can defend that map but people do. And others call them iSheep to point out the fact that they're blind to the deficiency.

And people compare things. That's how you make your decision. Why can't I mention a map sucks? To someone trying to make a choice as to which OS to choose, that might be an important factor. When I chose my BB, everyone pointed out there was the lack of apps. To me that wasn't an issue. To others it's a huge deal. If someone who doesn't know anything and valued apps, then people saying BB has virtually none would be valuable info - even if it's no concern to them cuz they use another device.

But yes you shouldn't insult someone's intelligence based on the type of phone they use.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
canadiankorean wrote: I'll tell you I had an equally bad experience with an Apple fanboy.

This was several years ago, I posted that I was selling an Office 2000 Mac and an Office 2000 Windows edition for fairly cheap (separate ads).
I won it in a work contest.

The hate email I started to get was crazy.
I had 3 separate (maybe same person) email me death threats.
One said how dare I sell an illegal copy on craigslist and if I don't pull the ad, they'll pretend to buy it and beat the crap out of me.
Another told me to die
And the last told me he was reporting me to the FBI (funny) and the Toronto police.

Funny thing is I didn't get any hate email for the Windows version...
I sold the Office (Win) easily and the buyer was so happy to get a boxed version for cheap.

I never sold the Office mac because I was afraid some psycho.

Sure this was with an Apple fanboy not an iphone fanboy.. but I find Apple fanboys are religious in their devotion to Apple.
It's much worse than all other fanboyism. More than Nintendo.
Yes - totally believe you cuz it absolutely makes sense for your company to give you the same software for 2 different operating systems. Lie much?