• Jan 1st, 2018 8:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON

Calling for Submission from all Entrepreneurs

I am a prospective entrepreneur! I have briefly searched the forum and there is no discussion about you, the entreprenuer! There's lots of questions about what to do about different situations but no discussion about your experience (success or fail).

My questions are:

How many ventures/business have you started (including failed ones)?
What are your proudest moments as an entrepreneur?
What was your toughest moments as an entrepreneur?
What is/was your biggest challenge?
What do you hope to achieve in the future?
What do you hope your business will achieve in the future?

I am just curious, no hidden agenda.
18 replies
Oct 19, 2016
573 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
I feel like this is an interview or an essay contest.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6896 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 5:00 pm
I am a prospective entrepreneur! I have briefly searched the forum and there is no discussion about you, the entreprenuer! There's lots of questions about what to do about different situations but no discussion about your experience (success or fail).

My questions are:

Your curiosity has very structured questions that look like they came out of a survey. Hmmm..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
mrtrump wrote:
Dec 27th, 2017 10:23 pm
They are a bunch of open-ended questions since I am the person asking the question, I would prefer to read a well drafted one-page essay on letter size paper (8.5' x 11'), single space, 5 paragraphs.

I guess people enter essay contests when they see a topic they want to write to. I have not found a contest where I felt compelled to write or I usually discovered them too late and when I read the winning work I am glad I never found the contests in the first place.

The prize for submission is setting time aside to draft this essay and having me as the reader.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
ichpen wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 8:07 am
Your curiosity has very structured questions that look like they came out of a survey. Hmmm..
I find the Entrepreneurship & Small Business section quite boring. Most of the time I find people asking very technical questions or question that does not concern me. I am not running a business so I don't have to worry about paying taxes on profit or claiming on losses. The math is non-existent for someone who is not running a business.

I am more curious to listen to what you enjoy about doing your business, some interesting situations you have run into. When you are going through something, it's not fun at the time but it's fun to tell about it afterward (many years later)!

People always have hope for the future so I ended with those questions.

Basically, I am hoping my questions will invoke some people to actually write back to.

Anyways, thank you for being a skeptical scrutineer, ichpen!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6896 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 9:26 am
I find the Entrepreneurship & Small Business section quite boring. Most of the time I find people asking very technical questions or question that does not concern me. I am not running a business so I don't have to worry about paying taxes on profit or claiming on losses. The math is non-existent for someone who is not running a business.

I am more curious to listen to what you enjoy about doing your business, some interesting situations you have run into. When you are going through something, it's not fun at the time but it's fun to tell about it afterward (many years later)!

People always have hope for the future so I ended with those questions.

Basically, I am hoping my questions will invoke some people to actually write back to.

Anyways, thank you for being a skeptical scrutineer, ichpen!
I'm hoping that's not a statement doused in a bit of sarcasm there... Anyway, I'll give you a few mins of my time to entertain the concept.

Probably 15 standalone ventures, mostly small, a few big ones. Not including partnerships, collaborations, investments and seeding other businesses.

Getting first positive feedback from a client. Cashing in the first cheque. Taking an idea to fruition.

Tax hell. Being kicked to the curb by clients after delivery.

Finding trustworthy talent, locally and abroad.

Bliss and happiness. Location agnosticism (I'm almost there) as I'd like to move to different parts of the world. Creating a legacy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
ichpen wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 9:51 am
I'm hoping that's not a statement doused in a bit of sarcasm there... Anyway, I'll give you a few mins of my time to entertain the concept.

Probably 15 standalone ventures, mostly small, a few big ones. Not including partnerships, collaborations, investments and seeding other businesses.

Getting first positive feedback from a client. Cashing in the first cheque. Taking an idea to fruition.

Tax hell. Being kicked to the curb by clients after delivery.

Finding trustworthy talent, locally and abroad.

Bliss and happiness. Location agnosticism (I'm almost there) as I'd like to move to different parts of the world. Creating a legacy.
Thank you for participating, ichpen!

In case anyone requires the definition of agnosticism. Agnosticism is the belief that it is not possible to say definitely whether or not there is a god.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6896 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 9:57 am
Thank you for participating, ichpen!

In case anyone requires the definition of agnosticism. Agnosticism is the belief that it is not possible to say definitely whether or not there is a god.
Oh you are a cocky one. Jolly good.

Location agnostic (as opposed to ism that was added by my autotype feature) used in it's non-religious context denotes a non-committal attitude towards something. In my case location. It is often used in contexts outside of its primary religious origins to denote just that.

Appreciate the wikipedia lift. If you scroll down your online dictionary you'll see how the same word can have different meanings in a different context ... And the like. Quite fascinating.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
ichpen wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 10:08 am
Oh you are a cocky one. Jolly good.

Location agnostic (as opposed to ism that was added by my autotype feature) used in it's non-religious context denotes a non-committal attitude towards something. In my case location. It is often used in contexts outside of its primary religious origins to denote just that.

Appreciate the wikipedia lift. If you scroll down your online dictionary you'll see how the same word can have different meanings in a different context ... And the like. Quite fascinating.
I had to look up my offline dictionary for the definition of agnosticism so I thought I will share the definition I obtained with other readers while I practice my typing. Thank you for the clarification ichpen!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12397 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There
mrtrump wrote:
Dec 27th, 2017 10:23 pm
+1
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12397 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 5:00 pm

My questions are:

But, I'll bite (slow day here lol)

9 (7 successes, 2 failures)
Seeing my employees blossom
When the bank tried to pull my loan without justification which would have closed me down (fought back and won)
Hiring good employees
Grow my businesses
Grow
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
eonibm wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 2:00 pm
But, I'll bite (slow day here lol)

9 (7 successes, 2 failures)
Seeing my employees blossom
When the bank tried to pull my loan without justification which would have closed me down (fought back and won)
Hiring good employees
Grow my businesses
Grow
I guess today has been a busy day for all. Afterall, it has been snowing all day.

@eonibm I just want to let you know that I have read your submissions even though none of your answers were five paragraphs in length. Thank you for answering all of my questions.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12397 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 9:13 pm
I guess today has been a busy day for all. Afterall, it has been snowing all day.

@eonibm I just want to let you know that I have read your submissions even though none of your answers were five paragraphs in length. Thank you for answering all of my questions.
If you would like to pay my (absurdly and ridiculously high) hourly rate when I do consulting (very rare) I would be happy to.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
eonibm wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 10:26 am
If you would like to pay my (absurdly and ridiculously high) hourly rate when I do consulting (very rare) I would be happy to.
There you go folks. Free service = incomplete sentences or point forms only
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12397 posts
3014 upvotes
Here 'n There
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 2:09 pm
There you go folks. Free service = incomplete sentences or point forms only
Yup ya gotta pay to play... Don't be so cheap