Students

Cambrian College - Medical Laboratory Technologist Program

[OP]
Feb 8, 2019
14 posts
14 upvotes

Cambrian College - Medical Laboratory Technologist Program

Hello all,

I'm hoping to get some feedback from any students who have attended Cambrian College for the Medical Laboratory Program. I have read several horror stories online which make me very hesitant to accept the offer I am fairly certain I will be receiving to attend the program.

As a general background, I am finishing up my BSc at Western University. My first choice is Micheners, but should I fail the MMI, I was hoping to have this program as a solid plan B. However, the higher failure rate at Cambrian vs Michener's is startling. And accounts of lazy/unorganized courses and faculty, along with warnings to take the year off to reapply to Micheners rather than go to Cambrian is terrifying. I've raked up a sizeable student debt already and so wasting my time and money at Cambrian is definitely enough to scare me.
26 replies
Feb 11, 2019
29 posts
18 upvotes
I'm on the same boat. Most I've heard about Cambrian are all negative :(
Oct 21, 2014
70 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Whoever told you to take a year off to reapply to Michener is insane. All the accredited schools in Ontario are good. I am a Cambrian Grad and the program was intense. I'm sure it is the same wherever you end up. But with a lot of hard work and time management, it is doable.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2019
14 posts
14 upvotes
I’ve officially been given an offer to Cambrian but the deadline to accept is May 1st, which is exactly when Micheners interviews begin. I feel like I’d be doing myself a disservice to not give myself a chance at getting into my first time. At the same time, if I don’t get in, I’d no longer have the chance to accept Cambrian.

Could you elaborate on what made Cambrian a positive experience for you? The startling aspect is how many more people drop from Cambrian before writing the CSMLS exam in comparison to Micheners. And I’ve heard this has been attributed to the fact that their number of placements is limited far below how many people are accepted. So no matter how many strong candidates enter the program, they simply have to ensure to meet the threshold for number of people they will fail. This seems like a cash grab to let in so many more candidates than they ever intend on passing
[OP]
Feb 8, 2019
14 posts
14 upvotes
For example, looking at percentage of people who pass the CSMLS from each school is about the same. Both programs let in around 60 people I believe, though I’m not absolute on how many people Cambrian accepts. Yet the number of students from Cambrian that wrote the CSMLS was somewhere in the low 30s, compared to the 58-59 students from Micheners that wrote the CSMLS. The difference of 20+ people from Cambrian failing out before graduation is not insignificant, especially considering how much time and money goes into this.

I do apologize for not having exact numbers, from the CSMLS, I’m writing an essay right now for tomorrow so I’m not double checking exact numbers, but I am positive the numbers are a correct approximation.

This all looks rather bleak to me, and is based off some harsh, albeit subjective online forums, as well as objective data from CSMLS
Oct 21, 2014
70 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yea I completely agree that the drop rate is high at Cambrian College. I am sure it is the same for St Clair and St Lawrence. The MMI weeds out people who are not serious about the program. I can honestly say the program was not an enjoyable experience. Mostly because I was already sick of school and burnt out after completing a BSc prior to the MLT program. The program was demanding.
May 8, 2018
13 posts
6 upvotes
Congratulations on your offer to Cambrian! Can you accept Cambrian's offer and later back out if Michener were to offer you a spot? There may be deposit that you would lose though.
Feb 11, 2019
29 posts
18 upvotes
Chesecke wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 8:45 pm
Congratulations on your offer to Cambrian! Can you accept Cambrian's offer and later back out if Michener were to offer you a spot? There may be deposit that you would lose though.
I'm wondering if this is an option as well...
Feb 11, 2019
29 posts
18 upvotes
woof122 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:09 pm
Whoever told you to take a year off to reapply to Michener is insane. All the accredited schools in Ontario are good. I am a Cambrian Grad and the program was intense. I'm sure it is the same wherever you end up. But with a lot of hard work and time management, it is doable.
I've actually seen a bunch of your replies in similar threads. Would you say people who actually put in the time were successful in completing the program? I can accept the high drop-out rate if that is the case, but if the high drop-out rate is due to the school being disorganized or being inadequate at teaching their students, then that is a major deterrence.

How did you find the teachers and courses? Were they good at preparing you for the exam? Was the program organized and were the evaluations fair? I can't imagine why the drop rate would be so high and I want to know if its because the students accepted were not fully putting in the effort or if the school is at fault.
Oct 21, 2014
70 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WillisonMoose wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:17 pm
I've actually seen a bunch of your replies in similar threads. Would you say people who actually put in the time were successful in completing the program? I can accept the high drop-out rate if that is the case, but if the high drop-out rate is due to the school being disorganized or being inadequate at teaching their students, then that is a major deterrence.

How did you find the teachers and courses? Were they good at preparing you for the exam? Was the program organized and were the evaluations fair? I can't imagine why the drop rate would be so high and I want to know if its because the students accepted were not fully putting in the effort or if the school is at fault.
I can't speak for why the drop rate is so high but you have to live and breathe the program if you are to succeed, especially during 2nd year. I had no issues with the teaching staffs. The stakes were high every week which meant you had to be diligent and consistent in your studies. Like you can't get a 50 on a lab, and expect to get a 90 on the next lab the following week to brg your lab average to 70 in order to meet the pass grade. One bad week can really mess you up, and you are fighting an uphill battle to get to that passing grade. The material itself isn't hard. The sheer volume to memorize and the pass or fail lab practicals that they set to progress each semester is what made the program annoyingly stressful. As far as the CSMLS goes, I felt that Cambrian college had given me all the necessary information in order to pass.
Feb 11, 2019
29 posts
18 upvotes
woof122 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:16 pm
I can't speak for why the drop rate is so high but you have to live and breathe the program if you are to succeed, especially during 2nd year. I had no issues with the teaching staffs. The stakes were high every week which meant you had to be diligent and consistent in your studies. Like you can't get a 50 on a lab, and expect to get a 90 on the next lab the following week to brg your lab average to 70 in order to meet the pass grade. One bad week can really mess you up, and you are fighting an uphill battle to get to that passing grade. The material itself isn't hard. The sheer volume to memorize and the pass or fail lab practicals that they set to progress each semester is what made the program annoyingly stressful. As far as the CSMLS goes, I felt that Cambrian college had given me all the necessary information in order to pass.
That honestly sounds so stressful. Have you finished the program yet and if so, have you found a job?
Oct 21, 2014
70 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just take it a week at a time. You can do it. I did it, and I'm a huge procrastinator. Yea it didn't take long for me to find a job after the CSMLS.
Feb 11, 2019
29 posts
18 upvotes
woof122 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:59 pm
Just take it a week at a time. You can do it. I did it, and I'm a huge procrastinator. Yea it didn't take long for me to find a job after the CSMLS.
I will haha, from what you've told me that sounds like the only way to survive the program. Nice, where do you work now?

And one more question regarding the program, how many people ended up graduating with you out of the total from the start?
Oct 21, 2014
70 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WillisonMoose wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 12:07 am
I will haha, from what you've told me that sounds like the only way to survive the program. Nice, where do you work now?

And one more question regarding the program, how many people ended up graduating with you out of the total from the start?
I got a job in Toronto. About 60+ started the program, and ~30 made it to take the CSMLS.
Nov 22, 2013
26 posts
46 upvotes
WillisonMoose wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:10 pm
I'm wondering if this is an option as well...
I'm pretty sure this is possible and highly recommended. Accept an offer now or definitely before May 1st and if you do get an offer from Michener, just accept theirs and decline your "backup".