Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1008 posts
7 upvotes

Which camera do you recommend? (DSLR)

I'm not a beginner photography, yet I wouldn't say I am a pro either.

I am kind of partial to Nikon just because I loved my Nikon FE2 as a beginner camera. I know how to use aperture and all that so as I said above I'm not looking for a low end camera.

At the same time, I don't want to spend $1000s of dollars to start in the DSLR scene.

I looked through this forum and have read some reviews out there, but I was wanting to get opinions out there.

I was looking at the Nikon D80 (possibly D90 or D200). Would this be a good choice, I do know about the noise on the D80 but with the price when the D90 comes out it should be a good buy regardless. Should I stick with the D80 or shill out for the D90 or something like the EOS 40D?

What about the [rfdlink=108]Sony[/rfdlink] Alpha's? I know they are Minolta/Konika in pedigree, but are they any good?

Thanks muchly for any help. I'll probably be buying boxing day or after.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4294 posts
133 upvotes
Kranberry wrote:
Sep 16th, 2008 10:56 am

I am kind of partial to Nikon just because I loved my Nikon FE2 as a beginner camera. I know how to use aperture and all that so as I said above I'm not looking for a low end camera.

At the same time, I don't want to spend $1000s of dollars to start in the DSLR scene.

I looked through this forum and have read some reviews out there, but I was wanting to get opinions out there.

I was looking at the Nikon D80 (possibly D90 or D200). Would this be a good choice, I do know about the noise on the D80 but with the price when the D90 comes out it should be a good buy regardless. Should I stick with the D80 or shill out for the D90 or something like the EOS 40D?

What about the Sony Alpha's? I know they are Minolta/Konika in pedigree, but are they any good?

Do you currently own any Nikon lens? If so, sticking with Nikon instead of reinvestment in a new batch of lens make more sense to me.
Is your $1000 budget solely for the body? Are you comfortable buying used camera?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24013 posts
1328 upvotes
Markham, ON
D80...so cheap right now.

D80 + 50mm f/1.8 + 18-70mm f/3.5 (craigslist)

likely under $1000

if you are buying at boxing day...you might not find a D80 anymore.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12036 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
Kranberry wrote:
Sep 16th, 2008 10:56 am

What about the Sony Alpha's? I know they are Minolta/Konika in pedigree, but are they any good?

The D80 is still a very competent camera. Great ergonomics, smart design, and good image quality all around. The D90 adds quite a bit but does cost quite a bit more than the D80 right now. The updated sensor and processing alone are worth a lot. The 40D is getting quite cheap but I was never a fan of that particular model. Typical Canon ergonomics (if you use a Nikon/Sony, Canons are backwards :twisted: ), no wireless flash, among other small things.

If you have old lenses from your FE2, they probably won't meter unless you get a D200/D300 and above, so I think you'll have to start from scratch, unless you wanted to meter manually.

Sony doesn't have a whole lot between the consumer A200/300/350 and the semi-pro A700, but they are all Minolta in their own special way. The ergonomics are a carry over and the in-body stabilization is a great asset not to be underestimated. Wireless flash on nearly all the models, solid AF and IQ, and you have a great alternative to the big guys.
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1008 posts
7 upvotes
sungfra wrote:
Sep 16th, 2008 11:17 am
Do you currently own any Nikon lens? If so, sticking with Nikon instead of reinvestment in a new batch of lens make more sense to me.
Is your $1000 budget solely for the body? Are you comfortable buying used camera?
I have a couple of lenses, but nothing that would keep me soley Nikon if that was the case. Preferably both, but I would spend the extra to get body only if I thought it was worth it.

In terms of used, I'd be more comfortable in an old style SLR like an FM2 as it is more mechanical and less electronic. I'd worry about warranties with electronic, not sure if it is unwaranted as I don't know a heck of lot about the sensors and what not.
KorruptioN wrote:
Sep 16th, 2008 11:49 am
The D80 is still a very competent camera. Great ergonomics, smart design, and good image quality all around. The D90 adds quite a bit but does cost quite a bit more than the D80 right now. The updated sensor and processing alone are worth a lot. The 40D is getting quite cheap but I was never a fan of that particular model. Typical Canon ergonomics (if you use a Nikon/Sony, Canons are backwards :twisted: ), no wireless flash, among other small things.

If you have old lenses from your FE2, they probably won't meter unless you get a D200/D300 and above, so I think you'll have to start from scratch, unless you wanted to meter manually.

Sony doesn't have a whole lot between the consumer A200/300/350 and the semi-pro A700, but they are all Minolta in their own special way. The ergonomics are a carry over and the in-body stabilization is a great asset not to be underestimated. Wireless flash on nearly all the models, solid AF and IQ, and you have a great alternative to the big guys.
I wouldn't dream of using my FE2 lenses and would get a whole new set of lenses for the DSLR. I'm finding my FE2 is collecting dust as I can't be bothered to pay for film processing, which is why I want to go digital.

If the 40D is cheap, what is comprable to the D80/D90? So the A700 would be a contender then with in-body stabilization. Is it really required or is it only for times when you zoom a lot and have a low speed setting for that shot? If I wanted to use a low speed setting, hopefully I'll have a tripod to go with it (or at least a monopod). I know it is a useful feature, but I'm just wondering how useful.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24013 posts
1328 upvotes
Markham, ON
Kranberry wrote:
Sep 16th, 2008 2:03 pm
I have a couple of lenses, but nothing that would keep me soley Nikon if that was the case. Preferably both, but I would spend the extra to get body only if I thought it was worth it.

In terms of used, I'd be more comfortable in an old style SLR like an FM2 as it is more mechanical and less electronic. I'd worry about warranties with electronic, not sure if it is unwaranted as I don't know a heck of lot about the sensors and what not.

I wouldn't dream of using my FE2 lenses and would get a whole new set of lenses for the DSLR. I'm finding my FE2 is collecting dust as I can't be bothered to pay for film processing, which is why I want to go digital.

If the 40D is cheap, what is comprable to the D80/D90? So the A700 would be a contender then with in-body stabilization. Is it really required or is it only for times when you zoom a lot and have a low speed setting for that shot? If I wanted to use a low speed setting, hopefully I'll have a tripod to go with it (or at least a monopod). I know it is a useful feature, but I'm just wondering how useful.
as a Nikon guy...40D more = D300

but even so...does not compare very well
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
I would recommend a used D200, since everyone who had them when they were new, are unloading them for D700's. So I would definitely recommend a D200. It's the old semi-pro body that you get with Nikon film cameras, and this camera is a lot more camera than the D80. Don't worry too much about noise. Its still perfectly acceptable at those high iso's. Just run it through "noise ninja2" and shoot raws!

D200 > D80. I wouldn't recommend anything else. Used D200's can be had for 750-800!
heatware available upon request