Camera & Laptop backpack recommendation for travel

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2018 11:43 pm
31 replies
Oct 18, 2004
300 posts
94 upvotes
Windsor
I imagine it's for pleasure and you're shooting at set locations and of course you're using a DLSR? If so, I'd say this bag would be great as long as you secure the zippers together (thieving and accidental zipper openings). Alternately if you are expecting to shoot location to location like when traveling, then I'd stay away from this bag. To set some past history, I sidelined as a event photographer and I had bought a similar backpack (not a frontpack like a lowepro) with dedicated camera opening when travelling to my shootings. My biggest problem was I needed a separate camera bag anyways because of the constant requirement to want to shoot shots! Even on trips with the family where space was a premium, I still was required to pull the backpack on and off, find a flat and clean area to pull out and assemble the camera etc. What it meant in the end was I spent less time shooting and missing spur of the moments because of the hassle. For the travelling shooter, go with a backpack that will fit an overhead bin and buy a sling camera bag to put under your seat. With a combination like that you'll get more shooting done with less trouble or aggravation. Anyways just my two cents.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10844 posts
5055 upvotes
Southern Ontario
You don’t need to find a table if you use a Flipside.

Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1283 posts
216 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Thinkpad Streetwalker series has a model that has storage for a laptop. Don't know if the sizing is right, but it does have a lot of storage space. It's also built very well.
Mar 11, 2002
630 posts
92 upvotes
I have both an fstop gear Guru (20ish L) and lotus (32L?) they open against your back and can be converted to (more or less camera gear) depending on the ICU's you use, they also have space for a jacket/water/shopping/etc.. . I've taken mine all over from the Caribbean, Most of Europe, Asia. No problems with theft via zippers or cutting open the bag. Both bags I have been able to stuff under an international flight's seat. Only drawback is cost but they are basically bomb proof and with the aluminum frame are comfortable with heavy loads for all day travel.
Nikon D800 // SB-900 Speedlight // Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 // Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII // Nikkor Micro 60mm f2.8
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2752 posts
311 upvotes
LaZeRACED wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 2:24 pm
Even on trips with the family where space was a premium, I still was required to pull the backpack on and off, find a flat and clean area to pull out and assemble the camera etc.
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 4:23 pm
You don’t need to find a table if you use a Flipside.
I have the Lowepro Hatchback and can do the same. Additionally, I leave the rain cover on so that I don't worry about how dirty the floor/ground is if I put the bag down (usually to switch lenses or to take photos of myself).
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3003 posts
309 upvotes
The Peak Design backpack is the best but comes at a price. Nothing I've used to date comes close to that bag.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3875 posts
340 upvotes
Scarborough
LaZeRACED wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:40 pm
@GateGuardian - Normally I don't ask but what did you end up going with?
I've been traveling in Japan so havn't had the time to go through all of them. However, I noted them down and will check them out when I get to Yodobashi or BIC camera... Really want to check them out in person as many of them as actually bigger than I thought. It's mainly for traveling on the plane and not taking it out for a day trip.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2774 posts
367 upvotes
Vaughan
I have a lowe pro fast pack 250 AW. There's newer version of this bag now (fast pack AW II). It fits a 15" laptop, a few lens, and camera. Very similar to the original bag you posted, but the lowe pro has a sling style side access to the camera, this way you don't actually have to take the bag off to access it.

It'll definitely fit under any airplane seat. I've owned this bag for several years now. I've travelled with it many times, its a close fit for some airplanes, but I've never had problems on any flight. I would say i've taken this my lowe pro bag on 20+ flights.

Also, depending on the size of your laptop, you can opt for the lowe pro fastpack 150, which is smaller than the 250 version. I have a 15" laptop, so the 250 version works for me.
Oct 18, 2004
300 posts
94 upvotes
Windsor
GateGuardian wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 6:59 pm
I've been traveling in Japan so havn't had the time to go through all of them. However, I noted them down and will check them out when I get to Yodobashi or BIC camera... Really want to check them out in person as many of them as actually bigger than I thought. It's mainly for traveling on the plane and not taking it out for a day trip.
Good to know what you intend to use the backpack for. IMHO I'd go with @phuviano suggestion if only because of the sling and rain protection; of course, all the other suggestions are pretty darn good as well so I suppose it will likely boil down to your personal taste and comfort level.

Enjoy your travels!