Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 8, 2011
418 posts
85 upvotes
London

Camera for new parents?

My husband and I have always wanted to buy a "good camera" (I.e, a DSLR) but never made it a priority and said we would make sure we got one before we had kids. Well, the time is here and we will have our first child in April.

We are not at all artsy people and I don't anticipate either of us will be taking up photography as a hobby anytime soon. Similarly, if we want professional photographs of our child, we will likely pay someone to take them...though we're not the types who will do this for every holiday and special event. We're looking for something that will allow us to take good quality pictures of our child in a variety of situations and conditions.

We were always thinking entry-level DSLR, but the size always bothered me. Practicality and usefulness is very important to me. With all the other gear that comes with a young child, will we really want to lug around a bulky camera and bag as well? I'm now thinking mirrorless, as they are smaller and it seems they can function without the huge lenses all the time as well. But, that's about where my knowledge of mirrorless cameras ends.

I'm looking for advice one whether we'd be happy with a mirrorless camera and some suggestions for ones that would be a good choice. I would prefer something with an option for a zoom lens, even if we choose not to carry/use it all the time. So far, the Sony a5000 seemed like it would be a good choice, but since I know little about the cameras, I'm basing it more on price than anything else.
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5282 posts
1135 upvotes
Is suggest reading through the dozens of threads on camera suggestions. That being said you have to consider your priorities. Do u want quality vs portability vs flexibility or all 3.

If you want both quality and potability the Rx100 series is a good bet. Here's a thread I stated on a deal.
aden-camera-store-only-pricing-rx100-se ... s-1595987/

If you want quality I'd go with a basic dslr like a t3i or higher.

Portability only just get a basic point and shoot.

If you want portable, quality and the flexibility of changing lenses then a mirror less may do.

Rx100 iii would be my choice!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6621 posts
3459 upvotes
Canada
Keep in mind RX100 is fixed lens and zoom in only 3.5x.
Mirrorless gives you the convenience of changing lens and they will generally have better image quality than RX100 type of cameras.

Mirrorless options:
Sony A5000 (if budget is low), A6000 (if budget allows), Olympus E-PL7, E-M10.

Wouldn't recommend DSLRs, too much bulk/weight. Not worth it.
Public Mobile, Koodo and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3494 posts
493 upvotes
Markham
iHateShaw wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2014 8:50 pm
Mirrorless gives you the convenience of changing lens and they will generally have better image quality than RX100 type of cameras.

Mirrorless options:
Sony A5000 (if budget is low), A6000 (if budget allows), Olympus E-PL7, E-M10.

Wouldn't recommend DSLRs, too much bulk/weight. Not worth it.
+1 on those recommendations. A6000 is especially well suited with fats autofocus for when your little guys starts running around. Stay away from DSLR, you will not take it out because of the weight. AF on Mirrorless cameras has come a long way, and newer models like the Sony A6000 are no less capable than entry level DSLRs; probably beats most of the lower to mid range DLSRs in AF.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Banned
Nov 30, 2014
61 posts
1 upvote
Anjou, QC
Although I aren't familiar with mirror camera, I hope you can get good suggestions from others and make good pictures for your child.
Wish you happy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7620 posts
1506 upvotes
A good cell with a good camera. The best camera is the one that is with you, most new parents don't have time to bring a camera with them at all times, unlike a phone.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16515 posts
2195 upvotes
iHateShaw wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2014 8:50 pm
Mirrorless gives you the convenience of changing lens and they will generally have better image quality than RX100 type of cameras
I actually gone back to fixed lens cameras for convenience and portability; for the average user, mirror-less and SLRs are not necessary.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
hdom wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 12:22 am
A good cell with a good camera. The best camera is the one that is with you, most new parents don't have time to bring a camera with them at all times, unlike a phone.
I agree - I find myself having a lot more candid shots of moments when I'm out with friends/family on my cellphone these days. It's not practical to be always prepared - and I've restricted myself to using my full DSLR gear for paid shoots only.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2011
418 posts
85 upvotes
London
hdom wrote:
We actually have these already. My husband has an iPhone and while my cell is of less quality, it generally sits in my purse with a dead battery (not a phone person). Perhaps that will change if/when we start using the camera more purposefully...at which point I will look into upgrading. At this point, although I know our cell phones will be valuable tools for capturing pictures, we're looking for a standalone camera.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the RX100 series more. That one wasn't even on my radar. I'll also spend some more time looking at the A5000 and A6000. Glad to see my instinct that a DSLR might not be a good choice was on the right track.

Price isn't a huge issue as we've been saving up points for it and have almost $1000...plus aren't in a huge hurry and can wait for a deal. That said, I don't want to spend money on features we don't need or won't use.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6621 posts
3459 upvotes
Canada
hdom wrote:
Picture quality from even the best phones is not comparable to $150 point and shoots. You dont want to regret 10 years later that all you have are poor quality cellphone shots of your children.
Public Mobile, Koodo and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
199 upvotes
Probably not the best camera for the parents, but the best gear for a moving baby would be an SLR with a fast lense such as a 50mm 1.8f or even better 50mm 1.4
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9824 posts
1223 upvotes
tdott wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 10:11 am
Probably not the best camera for the parents, but the best gear for a moving baby would be an SLR with a fast lense such as a 50mm 1.8f or even better 50mm 1.4
Please be aware that 50mm on crop is pretty far. Might end up not getting what you want or having to move back and thus missing the shot.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1323 posts
286 upvotes
Ottawa, On
The part that got me was.
sn02py wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2014 6:59 pm
We are not at all artsy people and I don't anticipate either of us will be taking up photography as a hobby anytime soon.
A camera is only as good as the person taking the picture. If you just want a camera you can grab out of the box, put it in auto mode and shoot you probably won't see much advantage from a DSLR or Mirrorless camera. I'd suggest a good quality point ans shoot (fixed lens) camera. A Sony RX100 at most, but maybe a Canon S120 might be good enough.