None
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2296 posts
318 upvotes
In another world
taro-chan wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 10:30 am
Please be aware that 50mm on crop is pretty far. Might end up not getting what you want or having to move back and thus missing the shot.
In that case a 35mm 1.8 is better
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7619 posts
1504 upvotes
That is no doubt, but interesting thing is the the quality of the higher end cell has improved so much, BSI, Faster processor, touch screen, direct connect to social media, while the cheapo p&s hasn't really kept up since it is a dying market.

Anyway, my previous assumption was most people keep their phone and have it charged for most time which is not the case with OP so I agree with one other that RX100 is probably a good choice but the new G7x or little bro S120 would be worth considering too. The later two is by Canon and good thing is they both have touch screen for selective focus, similar to a phone.

I suggest trying them both and see which one works better.
iHateShaw wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 10:09 am
Picture quality from even the best phones is not comparable to $150 point and shoots. You dont want to regret 10 years later that all you have are poor quality cellphone shots of your children.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Nov 6, 2008
211 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
I did not have a DSLR when my daughter was born, but now that I think about the first few years, I can say that a DSLR would have been cumbersome. With a baby, you are always carrying a lot of things whenever you're heading out of the door. I am glad I was using just a small camera which took AA batteries. Do these still exist? If I forgot to charge the batteries, I could always use Alkaline ones. We always had these in stock for toys.
Apr 18, 2017
449 posts
112 upvotes
Mississauga
I concur with the Sony RX100 or skipping DSLR and going with mirrorless... then have an iPhone as a backup. iPhone 5 at least. Although I have a DSLR, I'm making a conscious effort to bring it if I want to properly take photos of my 1 year old. For those candid moments for social media use, the iPhone works for me.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7619 posts
1504 upvotes
No, they are off the market in favor of smaller compact battery that doesn't hold charge or much juice to begin with and cost a fortune to buy extra spares for.
patrickrfd wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 2:35 pm
I did not have a DSLR when my daughter was born, but now that I think about the first few years, I can say that a DSLR would have been cumbersome. With a baby, you are always carrying a lot of things whenever you're heading out of the door. I am glad I was using just a small camera which took AA batteries. Do these still exist? If I forgot to charge the batteries, I could always use Alkaline ones. We always had these in stock for toys.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6621 posts
3458 upvotes
Canada
Spares are very cheap on ebay, atleast for Canon p&s.
You might still be able to find the A1400, that uses AA iirc.
Public Mobile, Koodo and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5282 posts
1135 upvotes
Great suggestions all around.

I do however absolutely do not regret having my dslr with me for the birth of my 2 daughters.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2296 posts
318 upvotes
In another world
It could be just psychological, but when I use a p&s I don't really care about composition and play little with the settings. I basically do what they're named after, point and shoot (even if the camera allows manual settings).

When I use a DSLR I get more cautious about what I'm shooting, composition, lighting, aperture, shutter speed, etc. like if I'd care more.

I've never had the chance to use an RX100, but if I had, perhaps I'd just use it as a regular p&s.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1730 posts
259 upvotes
I think the added weight is usually not a big issue here in toronto where we drive to most places. It's more about what one sees as acceptable results. I think the a6000 or x100t or GR are all good smallish bodies.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3962 posts
1088 upvotes
Vancouver
If I had to do it all over again as a new parent, I'd get the fastest focusing small, easy to pack and carry, readily at hand camera (not cell phone) I could find. I think the RX100 Mk I, II, or III fits the bill in today's market. The new Panasonic Lumix LX100 would be a consideration as well.

I look back 14 years to when my youngest was born and for whom I went and purchased my first digital camera - an $1100 Canon G1, a real hot model at the time. So many moments captured but soooo many out of focus. For video we used a $900 Hi8 camcorder we'd bought for our first born 4 years earlier. Haven't viewed one of those tapes in years - on the to do list to convert those someday.

Today a $200 P&S takes stills as good or better than that G1 with a higher keeper rate and also captures decent HD video. A $800 camera like the RX100 or the LX100 is such a good value when you consider you'll likely keep it for 5 years or more - $160/year. Get something that is easy to carry and easy to use and then take thousands of shots a year, everywhere! I remember my parents with slide film. They probably took about 300 shots a year and spent over $200/year on film and processing. The cost per image is so much less now. Even with having to buy a couple of external hard drives to back up all those images and videos, it is still cheaper.

Get a Gorilla Pod mini-tripod so you don't have to hold the camera and set it up in the kitchen and video every feeding. The first one with mushed pears is going to be a keeper destined for the wedding banquet video in 20 something years. Delete the routine ones. You'll probably catch the first word somewhere along the way as well.

Go on YouTube and view videos of these cameras as well, particularly the AF modes and AF speed - most better cams now have facial recognition/tracking which makes it a lot easier with kids.

Aug 12, 2012
793 posts
327 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I went the DSLR route when my daughter was born and have gotten more serious about photography as a result. If you're not thinking photography will be anything more than just capturing moments with your new child, then I'd suggest the Canon S120 for the image quality and HD video in a relatively inexpensive package. If you fall in love with photography and want to upgrade to dslr or mirrorless, you haven't invested too much $$.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12304 posts
3328 upvotes
Ottawa
I take more pictures with my RX100 II than any other camera. Small, goes with me nearly everywhere (phone is the backup), and the pictures rival those from my larger cameras.

Most importantly, the video mode has captured some pretty important milestones, first steps etc, and the video quality is amazingly good. The kid is less likely to try to grab my small camera than my larger camera.

I LOVE my RX100, it's the camera that I wish existed 10 years ago (very large sensor pocketable), and it would have saved me a lot of money (wasted trying out other P&S cameras which disappointed)
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
i have caon t3i and also had a point and shoot... prob with dslr is if u go out for dinner or some one shouse u dont want to drag it along. also with our 6 month old baby i ended up buying my wife samsung note 2 ( $300 no tab or contract from koodoo)... we use it for video/images/face book/skype/mp3/everything

our experience was if u wanna take a cute pic of your baby u dont have time to take out the dslr no matter how much better it takes pics or videos.

p.s... also got otterbox for the note so wife isnt worried about dropping it or baby drolling all over it
Sep 28, 2009
420 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
I have a perspective on this that comes from years of experience. My kids grew up in the film era. I used an SLR and my wife had an Olympus Rangefinder camera. It turned out to be a great combination. We could throw the Olympus in a bag anywhere but could use the SLR when it was appropriate. Looking back at the photos the quality of the SLR shots is impressive. The Olympus photos are good as well.

I had the advantage of being reasonably knowledgeable about photography by the time the kids were born.

Fast forward to today and I would suggest the Sony or the Canon S120 to start and then add a DSLR for vacations and sports as the child gets older. The family activities for me from the summer weekends are a great place to use a DSLR. Having a camera with some reach to be able to take photos without the child noticing really adds something.

Any of the entry level DSLR cameras with an 18-300 zoom will produce great results. There are a number of other options in the point and shoot category that could provide the zoom needed.

You will never regret taking photos with quality equipment. The results are worth it but you have to be prepared to learn how to use the equipment and be prepared to invest some money.

Good luck with the great adventure of raising kids.
Dec 15, 2009
102 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
First, Congrats' =)

I'm a father with a 2 years old girl, a DSLR is my choice when taking picture of my daughter because she won't stand still for me to take a picture.
A cellphone will work when they are infant, the movement is not that much when they are still young. You can take good picture with cellphone as long as you have good light.

Once they can walk around, it is challenging to take a decent shot with a cellphone.
There are pros and cons having a DSLR.

Pros:
- Image quality is way better than cellphone picture, if you plan to have big print, which i do.
- Better auto focus
- More lens options, more bokeh with larger aperture. (You can photoshop if you have the time to do it, but I'll prefer straight out of the camera and less editing. I rather spend time with my daughter)

Cons:
- Bulky and heavy, especially you may need to have your hands free to carry your baby.
- Pricy
- More complicate to operate compare to cellphone

Above are my personal opinions/experiences, anyone can disagree with me but this is what I think and it works for me.

My camera suggestion is Sony A6000, it is an amazing Micro 3/4 camera. Yes, it is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
This will be my pick if i have the money to buy a new camera =P