None
Nov 6, 2008
211 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
ed0426 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 2:46 pm

Pros:
- Image quality is way better than cellphone picture, if you plan to have big print, which i do.
- Better auto focus
- More lens options, more bokeh with larger aperture. (You can photoshop if you have the time to do it, but I'll prefer straight out of the camera and less editing. I rather spend time with my daughter)
Good points. It's true that the pictures I took with my DSLR are much better than the ones I took with my point and shoot.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5999 posts
2502 upvotes
Canada
ed0426 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 2:46 pm

My camera suggestion is Sony A6000, it is an amazing Micro 3/4 camera. Yes, it is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
This will be my pick if i have the money to buy a new camera =P
Sony A6000 is not a micro4/3 camera. It has an APS-C size sensor. Micro4/3 would be Panasonic and Olympus MILCs like GX7, OM-D, etc.
Public Mobile and Koodo customer
[OP]
Jan 8, 2011
414 posts
85 upvotes
London
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Lots of differing opinions which is making the choice difficult. Obviously, there is no one perfect camera.

I'm currently leaning toward the RX100. Not sure of model yet...def. not M3 at the price point but trying to decide if better sensor, articulating screen, and WIFI are worth the price bump for the M2. I originally did not want a point and shoot (even a really good one) but since we currently do not have a decent one (I have a Canon Elph purchased probably 5 years ago... I rarely use it anymore...a lack of IS being a big issue), I see the value of something we could just keep in a diaper bag to take on the go and still get some really great pics. Videos and reviews showing the image quality coming from the RX100 have convinced me that I won't be sacrificing quality shots for portability.

I have no idea if I'll take advantage of interchangeable lenses and manual settings, which is why I think I'll hold off on the mirrorless for now. From my understanding, you can still get some good results from using the manual settings on the RX100, so I hope I will be able to take time a learn a bit more about photography using those. If I find I really like doing that, I guess I'll look into interchangeable lens cameras at that time. The problem at the moment is that I can see any lenses I buy for the A5000/6000 collecting dust, but I can't see that happening with something as portable as the RX100.

The main practical sacrifice I'd be making with the RX100 would be a longer zoom, but having that on a mirrorless would involve carrying around a big lens anyway....which likely wouldn't happen often. So, if I think about how often I would be using a long zoom in and around the house (not often), it is probably not a huge issue for now. I can see it being more important when our children are older and playing sports, etc., but who knows if/when that will happen.

I think I'll be kind of disappointed with not joining the DSLR bandwagon, but I think that has more to do with having a "new toy" rather than a useful camera that will take good pics (which is what we probably NEED more than a new toy). My father in law recently bought an entry-level DSLR on whim...I'm sure he'll never use it, so perhaps I'll borrow that so I can play around a bit.

I am now looking for practical reasons to choose the RX100 or the RX100 M2. The articulating screen seems like it would be useful, but when would I use it in everyday life (beyond selfies ;) ? Is the better sensor really that much better? Will I still be able to take good pics in low light conditions with the original sensor? And wifi... I'm not too worried about sharing pics on Facebook, etc, so are there any other advantages to having WIFI on a camera? Does it allow me to wirelessly and quickly transfer pictures to a computer without tracking down a cord? Perhaps it's just as easy to buy a couple extra micro USB cords and keep them around the house.

Mostly thinking out loud here and I will continue to research, but if anyone has any suggestions/opinions, I welcome your input.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
813 upvotes
Calgary
I'll never understand all these people who want a DSLR but have zero interest in photography or learning more about it. It just makes you guys look like a bunch of posers, no offense.

Save your money and get a P&S.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11980 posts
2852 upvotes
Ottawa
The only "caveat" about the Mk1 is some people reported that the battery drains by itself sometime even when the camera is off. I never had such an issue with my Mk1 but the issue is out there for some people, not sure how prevalent it is or if they fixed it by now..

The Mk2 is basically the same camera but with wifi. So it makes sense to stick with the Mk1 if you don't intend to use the remote control or wifi upload. I think the Mk1 is a bargain for its price and all you really need.

The only other camera is the Canon G7X. which is closest to the Mk2 but with a more zoom range and faster aperture in its lens. the Battery life is much worse than the Sony so I would definitely advise buying a second battery if you are out shooting all day on vacation. Some aspects of its operational speed is reported to be slower than the Sony
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
Rx100 sounds nice for you

Lx100 might be an option too

http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100

I use to have a dslr, after going to the zoom and almost knocking her over wth a 70-200 trying to pick her up... I sold all my gear.

Now exclusively using micro four thirds and couldn't be happy
I have a gm1 and an em10 both get lots of use... My daughter now 3 gets to play with the gm1 and take pics too
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Apr 18, 2017
440 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
articulating screen is pretty nice if you want to shoot in very high or very low angles... like shooting your crawling baby in floor level.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6517 posts
200 upvotes
My wife loves our Panasonic FZ-200.
Auto settings work great, so you don't need to be a photographer.
Big zoom (24x/600mm) for being able to capture stuff farther away (other end of the soccer field)
Amazing fast lens (fixed f2.8 all the way through 24x zoom) that works great indoors for taking pictures of kids in a darkend school gym when there are plays/concerts/recitals etc. even without a flash
Also takes HD (720 & 1080) video that lets you use the 24x zoom

The fast lens makes a huge difference. Being able to get nice indoor pictures without a flash (since most flashes are useless beyond 10m) is a big thing.
Yes, the sensor isn't big, but we never print poster sized pictures, so it makes no difference.

Think of what you are actually going to use the camera for and get one that will do well for those situations.
Apr 24, 2012
453 posts
526 upvotes
Vancouver
Mayosandwich wrote:
Dec 7th, 2014 12:27 pm
I'll never understand all these people who want a DSLR but have zero interest in photography or learning more about it. It just makes you guys look like a bunch of posers, no offense.

Save your money and get a P&S.
Even in Auto mode DSLR take better low light photos than most P&S with small sensors. Show me a P&S with an APSC sensor that can save me money, as compared to older discounted DSLR.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3809 posts
987 upvotes
Vancouver
bionicbadger wrote:
Dec 8th, 2014 1:15 pm
My wife loves our Panasonic FZ-200.
Auto settings work great, so you don't need to be a photographer.
Big zoom (24x/600mm) for being able to capture stuff farther away (other end of the soccer field)
Amazing fast lens (fixed f2.8 all the way through 24x zoom) that works great indoors for taking pictures of kids in a darkend school gym when there are plays/concerts/recitals etc. even without a flash
Also takes HD (720 & 1080) video that lets you use the 24x zoom

The fast lens makes a huge difference. Being able to get nice indoor pictures without a flash (since most flashes are useless beyond 10m) is a big thing.
Yes, the sensor isn't big, but we never print poster sized pictures, so it makes no difference.

Think of what you are actually going to use the camera for and get one that will do well for those situations.
The new alternative superzoom P&S from Panasonic is the FZ1000 which uses a larger sensor, same size as the one in the RX100, and has a f2.8-4.0 lens. So higher quality images, almost as fast a lens, and I believe significantly faster AF than the FZ200 though what I've read indicates that the FZ200 has pretty good AF speed for a P&S.

Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3432 posts
787 upvotes
sn02py wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 10:22 am
Mostly thinking out loud here and I will continue to research, but if anyone has any suggestions/opinions, I welcome your input.
At this very moment, the Canon G7X is at $649. Read online reviews between the RX100 and Canon. RX ii is great. RX iii is better and worst. Given the sale on the Canon, I also suggest considering this one too. Discussion going on here. Hope it helps.