• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2009 10:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3021 posts
333 upvotes

Camera Raw Photoshop Question

This might be a stupid question but I am wondering if there is a way to bring up the Camera Raw screen in Photoshop after the file has already been opened.

The reason being, I want to run Noise Ninja first, then make edits with Camera raw. I am using version 5.5. Is there a way to re-open the Camera Raw screen after I've run Noise Ninja? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the menu. Sorry if I am being a newbie!

Neil
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
8 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
Why would you want to re-open the raw files for, before and after comparison?

You can save the raw file you are editing to a PSD file and open that one instead. Then the raw file is freed and you can open it again. You may have to delete the sidecar files if you want to see how the raw files looked before any modification was made. Nothing is saved directly to the raw file itself as far as I remember how PS CS2 worked.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3021 posts
333 upvotes
I had read somewhere that Noise Ninja should be used as early in the post processing stage as possible...

...but then I read somewhere that NN is used during the output stage.

I noticed that the results are more dramatic when NN is used immediately (before edits). I'm not really sure how to get the best results.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
95 upvotes
Yah, there aren't any changes made directly to the RAW file, so re-opening the dialog wouldn't actually affect much. You COULD save the file as a tiff and then reopen that with the "RAW" adjuster (preferences->file handling->tiff pull-down->for ALL TIFFs).

Plus, using NN on the image immediately seems like a terrible idea to me. Adjusting exposure, black levels, contrast, etc. will affect how much noise is visible in an image. Applying NN and THEN making those changes means you'll either be over or under-doing the NR. That doesn't even begin to address the noise that could be introduced by other means of post-processing work. Adjusting colours, sharpness, and other adjustments could necessitate running NN a second time for output, potentially further softening and "plasticizing" the areas you'd already run it on.

Noise reduction is the last thing I do on an image. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1949 posts
5 upvotes
Astin, I would tend to disagree with your comment about Noise Ninja being applied at the end of the process.

Remember, the effect of reducing noise in an image is ALWAYS at the expense of detail in the image.

Dumb noise remover software uses some algorithms to blend out noise/details.
Noise Ninja, and other profile based noise reduction software are actually programmed with the noise profile of many cameras at different ISOs, inorder to more effectively reduce noise while keeping as much in the image as possible.

Now if you mess around with the lighting, and start cutting and pasting portions of image around, and you do other kinds of editing, then you're actually hindering what the software can do, since it doesn't have the original image to work with to do its job effectively.

http://picturecode.com/wiki/index.php/M ... orkflow.3F

Reduce the noise in the image to begin with, and be use that through your editing process, remembering that if you reduced the noise any more to begin with you would have lost more detail in the image.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5854 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
I also read that it's best to run noise reduction before you do any editing.

No where did I read that it's best to run before opening raw.

I see it as, you open up your raw file, make adjustments, THEN run noise reductions, before you do any adjustments.

As if you bump up the exposure in the raw settings, more noise is added, then you run noise reduction.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1949 posts
5 upvotes
kay188 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2009 4:30 pm
I also read that it's best to run noise reduction before you do any editing.

No where did I read that it's best to run before opening raw.

I see it as, you open up your raw file, make adjustments, THEN run noise reductions, before you do any adjustments.

As if you bump up the exposure in the raw settings, more noise is added, then you run noise reduction.
Good point.
I don't know how to handle RAW workflow with Noise ninja.
Some more googling may be in order.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
You silly RAW folks and your edits.

Join my "We post JPEGs straight out of camera on the internet" club
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes
Lulz wrote: