Tags:
None
17 replies
[OP]
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
45 upvotes
Ry, have you been before?
Do I need to bring a wad of cash or do they accept interac/certified cheques.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
lz7j wrote:
Nov 21st, 2009 9:08 pm
Ry, have you been before?
Do I need to bring a wad of cash or do they accept interac/certified cheques.
been a couple of times

its really hit or miss but cash for sure

bring money for what u WANT to find lol

ive left with $500 sometimes and none other times
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3765 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
I've been to many of these. They're at the community centre at Bayview and John in Thornhill. It is almost entirely film gear, antiques and collectibles sold by dealers / collectors at rented tables -- everything from 1970s-era fixed-focus plastic-lens 35mm cameras for $2 a piece up to limited edition Leicas and Rolleis. There are sometimes older digital cameras available. It's also good for tripods, lighting equipment, filters, etc.

I've bought many cameras and lenses at these shows, including my Rolleiflex (for a great price), as well as a lot of recently expired film for $1 a roll. You have to know what you're looking for (and the approximate value). Bring cash.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2005
2463 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Oh shoot I forgot about this. I have a coupon for admission too.

A lot of it is antiques priced kinda high. There is also modern stuff for sale of course. Deal cash and haggle as much as you can. I usually buy cheap (expired) film there.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3765 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
You definitely need to know the value of what you're looking at to make intelligent purchases at that show. But I got my Rolleiflex 3.5E there for about half of what they sell for on eBay -- after buying an aftermarket screen and having a pro adjust the focus, I still came out way on top.

For those thinking of heading up there today, apparently the "film guy" will have a table with lots of recently expired 35mm and 120/220-format colour film.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
45 upvotes
Just came back from there. Waste of time. Didn't really find what I was looking for. It seems like if you don't get there right when they open, there's no point of going as there's lots of dealers/vultures that camp outside the doors for the good stuff.
Feb 9, 2004
603 posts
18 upvotes
lz7j wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 12:26 pm
Just came back from there. Waste of time. Didn't really find what I was looking for. It seems like if you don't get there right when they open, there's no point of going as there's lots of dealers/vultures that camp outside the doors for the good stuff.
+1.

I will never go to this kind of "Toronto International Camera SHOW" again even for free, not to mention having to pay to get in. It is like a flea market. I don't recall having to pay to SHOP at flea market. It is NOT a show, but a flea market with vendors (90 tables?) selling 99% old/used cameras and accessories. I was looking for a deal on a carbon fiber tripod, but left empty handed.

Probably good for camera collectors thought.

For me, I am collecting Canon lenses with Image Stabilizer only :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
lz7j wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 12:26 pm
that gitzo was pretty tempting... damn center column!!

if only
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3765 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
It's more of a camera "fair" than a "show" but I think we did a pretty good job of describing it in earlier posts. It's not for the digital, latest-and-greatest crowd.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
45 upvotes
I was looking for a Leica M7 Titanium.. there was a BNIB M6 Titanium (I have the black, but in moderate shape)... I was ready to buy it but was 10 seconds late. A dealer came and bought pretty much the entire table. lol.

I just came back from Vistek and ended up spending 3k on lights instead. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]I was looking for a Leica M7 Titanium.. there was a BNIB M6 Titanium (I have the black, but in moderate shape)... I was ready to buy it but was 10 seconds late. A dealer came and bought pretty much the entire table. lol.

I just came back from Vistek and ended up spending 3k on lights instead. [/QUOTE]

You have WAY too much money :)

I didn't see much at Vistek yesterday, pretty annoyed actually couldn't even find the umbrella I wanted.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2536 posts
39 upvotes
Offtopic - but what's so special about the Leica "rangefinders" and how it dif from a dslr?
Luckyinfil wrote:
May 18th, 2010 5:23 pm
No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1707 posts
234 upvotes
lz7j wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 3:13 pm
I was looking for a Leica M7 Titanium.. there was a BNIB M6 Titanium (I have the black, but in moderate shape)... I was ready to buy it but was 10 seconds late. A dealer came and bought pretty much the entire table. lol.

I just came back from Vistek and ended up spending 3k on lights instead. :lol:
:P unless u need the Aperture priority mode on the m7, i think ur m6 is probably better camera :P at least all the shutter speeds work without battery:P
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing