None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3471 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto

The camera strap thread

Just wondering what everyone here uses for their camera straps, and why you went with that strap/brand/style.

I've mostly just used OEM straps or neoprene neck straps but I'm looking to grab a Peak Design Leash sometime soon because of its versatility.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
52 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1300 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not familiar with a lot of straps but I couldn't take the Canon strap any more. The camera only sits straight on you (bottom of camera is parallel to the floor if that makes sense) and only around your neck. It was awkward for me. So, I bought a Black Rapid strap. I put it around my shoulder like how I would wear a messenger bag and the camera can slide right up the strap. This felt more natural to me.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3407 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
i have quite a few camera straps including the Peak design, sailor straps, artisan and artist, etc

i dont use any of them anymore cause i find them to be a hassle. i carry a messenger bag (billingham) so after i take the shot, i just put it back into the bag.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7371 posts
1325 upvotes
Do almost the same too but I have had the displeasure of a gentlemen running into me during a trip when I was taking a shot. I was then without a camera for the rest of the trip, which I was not too happy about.

Since then, I made sure to always have the hand strap on too, added them to my DSLR as well. They make ones where there is a arca-swiss style plate at the bottom for easy attachment too.
MoonDoggy wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 3:06 pm
i have quite a few camera straps including the Peak design, sailor straps, artisan and artist, etc

i dont use any of them anymore cause i find them to be a hassle. i carry a messenger bag (billingham) so after i take the shot, i just put it back into the bag.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4024 posts
1030 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 2:44 pm
Just wondering what everyone here uses for their camera straps, and why you went with that strap/brand/style.

I've mostly just used OEM straps or neoprene neck straps but I'm looking to grab a Peak Design Leash sometime soon because of its versatility.
I use the Peak Design system with my A7R3.

Leash and Slide.

Slide when paired up with the 70-200 f/2.8. I use an Peak Design anchor on the bottom of my tripod and attach one end of the Slide to it just for additional safety.

I had the Peak Design Clutch too but don't use it anymore.
Nov 12, 2012
563 posts
209 upvotes
Calgary
I've used the Canon strap at full length as a sling/cross body strap, it works in a pinch but it's not ideal. Have used Carryspeed sling strap, it was nice to have the camera hanging upside down. I've since gone strapless and just use a messenger bag, or lowepro toploader bag.
Aug 10, 2004
447 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I use the peak design leash on my xt1 and i use a gordy's strap on the M3. I find that i like the versatility of taking the strap off quickly on the day-to-day camera and it's really easy to adjust the length to use crossbody as well. But with the M3, the strap days firmly on cause I'm clumsy at times... lol
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
really happy with my peak design slide v1 (the mirrorless version)
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2805 posts
339 upvotes
I've used blackrapid and peak.

Black rapid was (and is) pretty comfortable and has accessories as a back up (i.e tethers like this).

However, I switched to peak because I like the flexibility of switching between a long strap and a wrist strap (purchased separately). When I'm at home, I prefer the wrist strap for shooting quick shots but I'll use the long strap when I'm travelling or if wandering around town snapping photos.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3407 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
jc427 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 11:07 am
I use the peak design leash on my xt1 and i use a gordy's strap on the M3. I find that i like the versatility of taking the strap off quickly on the day-to-day camera and it's really easy to adjust the length to use crossbody as well. But with the M3, the strap days firmly on cause I'm clumsy at times... lol
leica m series cameras can probably go thru hell and back and still be in working order lol
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1016 posts
311 upvotes
I use a Peak Design slide for my big DSLR since it's the one I use for events and stuff, so being able to sling it on my side or back by easily adjusting the length is a must.
For my mirrorless cameras, I use those climbing rope style straps. I have 2 of these. They are comfy and looks good. I'll probably buy a third one, but from Artisan & Artist if I end up buying a Leica. My rule is my strap cannot cost more than 10% of the camera's worth.
Aug 3, 2011
821 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
I use the DIY paracord wrist strap for my Mirrorless cams. Under $5......economical (not cheap) , does the job like any other strap.
Sep 25, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Another for black rapid here too.

Just leave it hanging at the side of my waist and walk.