None
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10151 posts
818 upvotes
Vancouver

Camera(travel) insurance?

Wondering if anyone could recommend any good insurance options for your gear when traveling? I'll be going for an extended period and would like to protect myself in the case anything happens, given I'll be using the gear basically daily
10 replies
Jun 8, 2010
23 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
Kaitlyn wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 6:10 pm
Wondering if anyone could recommend any good insurance options for your gear when traveling? I'll be going for an extended period and would like to protect myself in the case anything happens, given I'll be using the gear basically daily
Check with your home insurance provider, you may already be covered. Items you own that would regularly be in your home but are removable such as a camera or laptop might be covered (minus deductible) but again please check as not all insurers may have this policy.
Nov 24, 2013
213 posts
45 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 6:10 pm
It should be covered under your home or renters insurance, but calling your provider is the best way to get the right answer. However, if you're carrying very good gear there are specific companies who deal with that. These are for professionals, so the best route is likely through your home insurance unless you have $20k+ in gear. Happy travels!

https://petapixel.com/2015/07/02/5-insu ... tographer/

https://photographer.frontrowinsurance.com
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2877 posts
369 upvotes
Is there a magic dollar number for your camera travel kit where people should be considering insurance coverage?

Also, and I hope it never happens to anyone.. but what do you have to do to make a claim? Go to the local police station and file a report?
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
123 upvotes
I recently asked insurance about this

First claim waiver is only good for once in 6 years. My deductable is 1000. So if you think something may happen at your home once in 6 years, forget about this coverage. If there is going to be natural disaster in 6 years, forget about it. I've been through flood and fire in the region so I treat this as high likelihood.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7463 posts
1387 upvotes
If you have a home and you have home insurance, your home policy would cover your gear up to whatever amount is outlined in your coverage.

If you had purchased your gears with a half decent credit card, you are also likely to have lost and damage insurance coverage from them.

Extra insurance is really for people that don't have the previous two or require additional coverage and you start a file by calling your insurance and they will tell if a police report is required but always keep the receipts for your gears.
poorwingman wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 6:50 pm
Is there a magic dollar number for your camera travel kit where people should be considering insurance coverage?

Also, and I hope it never happens to anyone.. but what do you have to do to make a claim? Go to the local police station and file a report?
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
123 upvotes
credit card only covers 90 or 120 days? not something to rely on.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10151 posts
818 upvotes
Vancouver
So I called my insurance and they (TD) said they do not cover anything used for business purposes. My camera gear is like 90%+ personal, but I imagine IF anything happened, it'd take them all of 1 minute to look up my name and determine I have a "photography business". I didn't catch what the options or costs were with regards to commercial goods.

Anyone had any experience with this? Any issues insuring commercial gear?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7463 posts
1387 upvotes
^If you really do have a photography business, you need to look into business insurance and not just to insure your gear. Cause say if you have a photo shot outside and someone trips on your gear and get injury then decided to sue you, your home insurance policy may not cover you for this since it was during a business outing. For this, you will need your business insurance to cover this and other liability.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4831 posts
271 upvotes
I checked with my insurance provider RBC, it's covered but $1000 deductible... not really wroth it unless I was carrying $10K of gear, they told me anything worth more than $1000 needs to have appraisal. Waste of time.

World Nomad's Insurance will cover up to $500 or $1000 per item depending on which you buy.