Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto

Camera w/ video capabilities

Folks,
Need some help here.

First baby on the way and I don't really want to shell out $300+ for a "decent" camcorder; however, I am willing to upgrade our current digital camera for one that is capable of shooting videos.

I know nothing about cameras (will do some research shortly)...does anyone have any suggestions? The reason I'd rather purchase a digital camera is 1) upgrade to our current camera (4.1mp Canon); 2) able to shoot videos of newborn (I know the length of the video will be much limited compared to a camcorder...that's a given).

Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
any point and shoot digital camera now a days has video
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2148 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
Make sure you pick a camera with a good buffer so that you can take lengthy videos when required. I know some cameras (maybe just the older ones now) limit video time, even if you have available memory.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1712 posts
647 upvotes
I have the olympus stylus 700 and it does good video and good photos too, it was on sale for $129 around boxing day. If they don't make that model then I am sure the new one probably does a good job too, it is $179 I think.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1684 posts
298 upvotes
the TX1 records at 4 megs/sec and the panasonic @5megs/sec. that's an insane amount of storage needed for recording. Granted I've read editing with these codecs is very easy.

I'ld say get a miniDV camera and forget the new digital. There's not much benefit you're going to get upgrading cameras. the image quality boost from a 4.1 meg generation camera to a 10 is so minimal and you get no other benefits such as improved ergonomics/handing/speed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)