None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto

cameras in ACC

im actually going to an event at the ACC but it says no cameras. has anyone had problems taking an slr in? i know you can get a point and shoot in easily but i think they would stop me from bringing in a body with 70-200 since it looks pro. anyways of getting around this or hiding it?
20 replies
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
Well if it already says "no cameras" i doubt you will be able to bring your SLR in. :(
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5185 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
i got my slr confiscated at leaf game a few weeks back i only had a 28-300 lens on it too.

its not the acc itis the actual event organizors or the league cause i bring my 70-300 to raps games all the time . Ive gotten my 135-400 a few times too lol.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12035 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
They want those who are able to get good shots to pay up for a photo pass.

HughG, did you get your camera back without incident?
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5185 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
yeah thank god.
they put it at guest services tag it and give you the number too.

after reading the tag though they say they are not responsible for lost stuff and max compensation is only 100 bucks lol

i couldnt enjoy the game because my mind was on the camera if its alright.

Some poor man brouight like a huge bag of his slr equipment lol dont know what he was thinking lol
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15353 posts
2202 upvotes
Toronto
It always depends on the event but more recently I think the policy has been a little more flexible.

I'm seeing flashes for the entire concert and quite frankly in this day and age, that's how it should be. Who cares if you want to take a picture.
You went, you paid, your personal picture.

Last few concerts I went to at the ACC, there were no questions about the cameras.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes
Sorry to bump an old thread, but after winning the Coke content for free tickets, I figured Id bring along my camera. I measured my 18-55 and its 3" on the dot. The 55-200 is around 3.9" The official Leafs policy is that only cameras up to 75mm (2.9") are allowed. How loose is their policy? Do they have rules on the ready?
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Kasakato wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 10:32 pm
Sorry to bump an old thread, but after winning the Coke content for free tickets, I figured Id bring along my camera. I measured my 18-55 and its 3" on the dot. The 55-200 is around 3.9" The official Leafs policy is that only cameras up to 75mm (2.9") are allowed. How loose is their policy? Do they have rules on the ready?
I think these days they don't really care anymore.

I had two floor tickets to the Michael Buble concert back in January. Had 2 friends who were there before myself and my gf. Said announcements kept saying no cameras. So I left my DSLR and telephoto (70-200mm F2.8L IS) in the car.

Went there, enjoyed concert. Later on as we were leaving saw a few people with DSLRs and telephotos and external flash around their necks. Uhhh, damnit! I got shafted!!
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2018 posts
257 upvotes
Canada
CSAgent wrote:
Sep 13th, 2008 12:04 am

I had two floor tickets to the Michael Buble concert back in January. Had 2 friends who were there before myself and my gf. Said announcements kept saying no cameras. So I left my DSLR and telephoto (70-200mm F2.8L IS) in the car.

Went there, enjoyed concert. Later on as we were leaving saw a few people with DSLRs and telephotos and external flash around their necks. Uhhh, damnit! I got shafted!!

but did they use their camera during the concert? they may have been told not to operate the camera during the concert.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes
CSAgent wrote:
Sep 13th, 2008 12:04 am

Nice lens. I believe that concerts differ from hockey games as different people are operating it. The rules maybe different for each.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
zoomzoom wrote:
Sep 13th, 2008 8:17 am
but did they use their camera during the concert? they may have been told not to operate the camera during the concert.
It was pitch dark during the concert, minus lights on the stage - hence the need for a fast lens.. I saw them glance at a few photos from the concert that they must have taken during on their way out.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2849 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
Kasakato wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 10:32 pm
I have been told to put my lens away at a Raptors game court-side with the 85 f/1.8.

On the other hand I've shot with the 85 f/1.8 at a Leafs game in the Reds.

There's no way they would even let you through the front with a 70-200 or higher zoom at a sporting event there. Once they see a DSLR they ask to see "what the zoom is"...they don't know about crop and whatever, but they do ask is it more than 75mm zoom?

Best bet is to take a long prime. I've put a 30mm 1.4 on the body and hidden a longer prime in my pocket or on the bottom of the camera bag and walked in without problems. A tele-zoom may be harder to get.

I guess it'll depend...you can take shots with a zoom if you're able to get it in, but may be asked to put the camera away, then the ushers will be eyeing you like hawks for the rest of the game... :)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes
SENSEI wrote:
Sep 13th, 2008 8:14 pm
I have been told to put my lens away at a Raptors game court-side with the 85 f/1.8.

On the other hand I've shot with the 85 f/1.8 at a Leafs game in the Reds.

There's no way they would even let you through the front with a 70-200 or higher zoom at a sporting event there. Once they see a DSLR they ask to see "what the zoom is"...they don't know about crop and whatever, but they do ask is it more than 75mm zoom?

Best bet is to take a long prime. I've put a 30mm 1.4 on the body and hidden a longer prime in my pocket or on the bottom of the camera bag and walked in without problems. A tele-zoom may be harder to get.

I guess it'll depend...you can take shots with a zoom if you're able to get it in, but may be asked to put the camera away, then the ushers will be eyeing you like hawks for the rest of the game... :)
I guess Ill play it safe and take a 50mm prime plus the 18-55mm. 55mm=82.5mm on the crop, but the lens says 55mm, hopefully I dont bump into a guy who knows something about cameras.

Was that 30mm any use? What was the hidden lens? How fast of lens do I need for a hockey game?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2849 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
The hidden lens was 85mm f1/8.
I also "happened' to have a 2X tele converter in the other pocket=)

If you take the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4, it would be nice to have 2X on it...

The lighting is great in there, and I was able to get away with shooting sometimes up to 5.6 at ISO 400.

You won't get too many face shots, and some rare solo shots, but most of it will be 2-3 players at a time...

See here...I think I used a 85 1.8 and the 35 f/2 back then...
http://shaneho.smugmug.com/gallery/2339797_TuU5n#P-1-16