• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 9:13 am
[OP]
Nov 14, 2014
339 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Camping with 2x1lb propane cylinders

Probably a stupid question but google does not have information I want.

Anyone know how long will 1lb cylinder last for a single burner grill (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/backyard-g ... 0196527820)

Where in the car do you keep the propane cylinders in the car while driving?

Where do you keep the propane cylinders in the camp site?

Where to keep the cylinders when car is stationary (like is it safe to leave it in the car for 6-8 hours)?

Is it is safe to keep leftover cylinders in the apt?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17196 posts
2066 upvotes
Langley
whyami wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:37 am
Probably a stupid question but google does not have information I want.

Anyone know how long will 1lb cylinder last for a single burner grill (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/backyard-g ... 0196527820)

Where in the car do you keep the propane cylinders in the car while driving?

Where do you keep the propane cylinders in the camp site?

Where to keep the cylinders when car is stationary (like is it safe to leave it in the car for 6-8 hours)?

Is it is safe to keep leftover cylinders in the apt?
A single cannister will normally last a weekend of camping. At least, for me, they always have. You cant get a concrete answer on how long they'll last vecause there's too many variables. Some people preheat for a long time, some cook 3 meals a day some only 1, some roast a whole chicken for 40 minutes and some grill up steaks in 8.

They should go in the trunk.

At the campsite, they can go anywhere away from the fire, out of the tent, and not in direct sunlight.

They shouldn't be left anywhere enclosed where they'll overheat. If the car is going to be left in the sunlight on a hot day for 6 hours, pop them out and put them under the car. If they're partially used, it's not a problem cause they won't be near max pressure to start with.

Yes, they're safe in an apartment.
May 24, 2012
111 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
For the regular 20lb propane tanks for bbq, where do i store them in the winter? and can i leave them under my bbq during the entire summer?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17196 posts
2066 upvotes
Langley
weirdlogic wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 1:27 pm
For the regular 20lb propane tanks for bbq, where do i store them in the winter? and can i leave them under my bbq during the entire summer?
Anywhere outside is fine. They have a purge valve that will vent propane if the pressure is too high, if they're left in direct sunlight while full. This isn't a problem if they're outside but you won't want them venting in the backseat of your car.

All else being equal, you want them out of the elements over the winter for longevity. A very minor consideration might be putting them away from bedrooms in the event of a house fire, but it's a pretty unlikely scenario that would make any difference.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1438 posts
527 upvotes
weirdlogic wrote:
Don't store them In the house, don't store them in the garage.

Anywhere else is fine.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5940 posts
3538 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
13inches wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 1:47 pm
Don't store them In the house, don't store them in the garage.

Anywhere else is fine.
Good point

Most Home Ownership Insurance Pollicy’s Coverage are null & void if you store propane tanks / canisters in your home or attached garage.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5940 posts
3538 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
weirdlogic wrote:
Tanks are made to survive our NA weather
Just look at the gigantic propane tanks used to fuel homes in some rural areas

But overall, the safest spot is outdoors in a well ventilated / shaded area
(Another reason that a BBQ cover is a must have)

Spare tanks in a shed, or under a deck are fine

We grill year round... and have done so for over 40 years, never have had an issue with a tank be it 30+ or 30-
Do make a practice though of inspecting my entire Grill at least once a year
Aka Spring Clean Up & Tune Up
And also check each tank before & after fill up
If a tank looks in bad shape, I take no chances and buy a new one
(tanks BTW have an expiry date printed on them... after that places won’t fill them)

I guess I am cautious cause I once saw the aftermath of a BBQ tank / Grill that caught fire
It was on the homeowners back deck
(Fortunately he was inside the house)
It burned down the deck, and the back half of his house
Also have read news accounts / saw pics of entire houses that were just rubble after a propane tank blew up in a garage / house
It’s like a bomb goes off

No wonder insurance companies won’t cover if a homeowner keeps a tank indoors
Oct 5, 2010
378 posts
178 upvotes
I live in Winnipeg I BBQ year round my tank stays outside year round. Propane tanks can withstand the cold and a lot of heat. It's when they leak or vent in a enclosed space when they become dangerous.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1100 posts
230 upvotes
I have a grill similiar tho this, not sure the btus on it. I find a single tank will last around 8-9 days. Use it to cook 2-3 meals a days (sometimes made sandwiches), just 2 people not huge meals. They store well so feel free to get a 2 or 3 pk.
If you park in shady areas your trunk will be fine to keep spares.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1682 posts
510 upvotes
B.C.
The tanks will last longer than that POS grill!

It sucks in general and it sucks more to assemble! If you plan on keeping it for more than a year please buy something better!

FYI the cheapest price I've found this season for the 1LB tanks is Costco OR Home Depot.
Jul 5, 2004
23196 posts
2789 upvotes
Large propane tanks will typically not blow up. Even if they're in the middle of a house/garage/shed fire, they'll vent but not blow up. You really don't have to worry too much about the tanks. You're far more likely to have an issue with your BBQ than a tank. I keep mine attached to my BBQ year round. It's in direct sunlight for several hours per day. Propane tanks are never filled completely so there's plenty of room for the propane to expand. I grill year round, so my tanks sit outside, uncovered 365 days a year. The tanks last longer than my BBQ's do