None
May 8, 2008
837 posts
17 upvotes
Scratch that - there's a Eureka Alpine Meadows 2 Tatshenshini Tent for $80
May 8, 2008
837 posts
17 upvotes
Hi again - I'm going to go check the Eureka Alpine Meadows 2 Tatshenshini Tent at the end of the week. Any advice/input on this buy ($80) would be appreciated. thanks!
Jul 31, 2008
500 posts
318 upvotes
Markham
oceania wrote: Scratch that - there's a Eureka Alpine Meadows 2 Tatshenshini Tent for $80
I have owned both the Eureka Sequoia and Mountain Meadows tents (thicker floor than the Alpine Meadows I believe). They are my preferred tents for car camping (roomy, simple, good in bad weather).

They are classic A frame tents and well made. For the Alpine Meadows, I would watch the age. UV is the enemy of tents and they will simply wear out.

I think the Sequoia is the better tent for setup and ventilation. Amazon sells the four person for a little over 200 bucks (though not in stock).
Eureka-Timberline-Sequoia-Outfitter-4XT

Le Baron is selling the Eureka Pinery tents as well. I have not used either one, but they appear to be decent deals and are factory new.
2013specials_eureka.pdf
Aug 18, 2013
432 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like everyone pretty much covered the basics already. I'd say buy a tarp to put over the tent for rainy days. Also a second tarp to place under the tent itself for less cleaning when you get back home. Remember to bring lots of insect repellent!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
If you're talking about car camping then you don't even need sleeping bags. Any warm blanket/comforter will do. It's not like you're carrying it further than car to tent.

Get a tent with a fly that goes right to the ground rated at one to more people than you plan to actually have in it.
Air mattress. A double is fine for a couple.
Coleman two burner propane stove
Camp chairs
Headlamps. Way better to have two hands free than one.
Large plastic container to do dishes in
Pots/pans - don't have to be special camping ones
Plastic plates/bowls etc.
Tarp - Nice if it rains. Run a centre line between two trees as high as you can and then tie the 4 corners to trees lower than the centre line.
Cooler for beer food
Plastic storage bins to put your stuff in
One of these is great for cooking almost anything over the fire
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Rome-Basket-Broi ... ~~60_3.JPG
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
BornRuff wrote: Even then, would you necessarily go out and buy used sheets?

Regardless, that isn't really a proper analogy. Sleeping bags are much harder to clean than sheets, and most people don't clean their sleeping bags regularly. It really is an area you don't want to go used.
I picked up two 0 MEC Down bags that had been used once on Kijiji for $75 for the pair.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
oceania wrote: Hi again - I'm going to go check the Eureka Alpine Meadows 2 Tatshenshini Tent at the end of the week. Any advice/input on this buy ($80) would be appreciated. thanks!
A 2 man tent is really only good for one person.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Guncho wrote: A 2 man tent is really only good for one person.
Unless you like to cuddle!

I just have my survival tent... I camp as a loner.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Country-by ... 3a8248c384

I have one of these. But weight matters to me due to the camping I do. This is 3 lbs! It helps when you have to navigate yourself into the bush...
Sep 10, 2012
274 posts
39 upvotes
Yeah, tent ratings are generally based on "how many people can you fit inside to sleep, assuming you're willing to do things like sleep head to foot and be really, really close". Though ultimately you have to look at the dimensions, we have a MEC Tarn 3 which is tapered, MEC's got a rectangular tent labelled for 2 that's just slightly narrower than the widest point of the Tarn, but would be bigger overall (which I kind of wish we'd gone for ;) )
May 8, 2008
837 posts
17 upvotes
I still haven't gotten around to buying anything and want to go on at least one camping trip before October. I found this tent on Kijiji brand new for $40 (he won it in a raffle)...thoughts? Keep in mind I'm not an avid camper (this will be my 2nd time) so at this point I don't need anything expensive or fancy and I can't seem to find the makes that were suggested in this thread like Eureka, etc.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ventura-7ft ... 0083204592
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
anything from Walmart is crap
May 8, 2008
837 posts
17 upvotes
I got this tent off of Kijiji and he threw in a footprint and showed me how to set it up, really easy. http://www.campmor.com/eureka-spitfire-2-tent.shtml

What type of protection should I use to seal it?

Will pick up a sleeping bag from MEC since I can't find a good one off of Kijiji...I was thinking of this one - thoughts?: http://www.mec.ca/product/5025-633/mec- ... g-bag-12c/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)