• Nov 1st, 2023 6:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
For those who recommended Killarney, what exactly did you do there? I have been there once and also saw friends' pics of the park. Pretty disappointed with the hype.

Killbear I can appreciate. I also love visiting the Georgian Bay Islands National Park in the same area.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
Asker123 wrote: OP thanks for starting this thread. I am a new camper and was looking for some information but couldn't get it so now that we have this thread its great.
Just one question - are you folks , the regular campers , are RV campers or tent campers? I have a car and I have bought a roots tent and some other cooking and sleeping things but not sure whether It will be a good idea to camp in a tent with 2.5 years baby. Any suggestions?
I've never had an RV. I always use tents. Recently I bought 2 double high air beds and a Coleman cabin tent where you can stand. It makes a difference.
2.5 year old kid is totally ok for camping. Some people bring few months old babies.
If you have not been to pinery yet, I suggest you try that park. I usually stay in dunes 2 area but burley also has good sites. Sometimes I stay in dunes 4 which is electrical. You need to book in advance though.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
WhatADeal! wrote: For those who recommended Killarney, what exactly did you do there? I have been there once and also saw friends' pics of the park. Pretty disappointed with the hype.

Killbear I can appreciate. I also love visiting the Georgian Bay Islands National Park in the same area.
Did you do any canoeing? I think kilarney is great for that
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Yeah we went for 2-hours canoeing. I mean the scenery is good, but not much different from most any other park in Ontario, so I am wondering why people think it's that exceptional.

vero95 wrote: Did you do any canoeing? I think kilarney is great for that
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
Asker123 wrote: OP thanks for starting this thread. I am a new camper and was looking for some information but couldn't get it so now that we have this thread its great.
Just one question - are you folks , the regular campers , are RV campers or tent campers? I have a car and I have bought a roots tent and some other cooking and sleeping things but not sure whether It will be a good idea to camp in a tent with 2.5 years baby. Any suggestions?
We've camped in tents since the kids were babies. When the kids were toddlers - it was great ... wear them out all day, campfire at night, story reading by flashlight and then SLEEEEEP.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Camping with a baby is perfectly fine. We did it when our daughter was under a year old. Just keep in mind that you cannot put mosquito repellent on a child that young. The regular stuff anyways. There may be some baby friendly stuff you can get.

Pinery is a great place to camp. Hardly any mosquitoes due to the fact the entire park is on sand. We chose riverside in the park to camp as it has a radio free zone.

We always use a tent. Roots makes decent tents. What other equipment do have for the trip?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Looking forward to Grundy Lake next weekend! Will rent a canoe or kayak. They have rental life jackets as well?

We are not experienced kayakers but have been out a couple times. Any suggested equipment I should make sure to bring? I just bought some paracord rope from Amazon and some random camping gear.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: Looking forward to Grundy Lake next weekend! Will rent a canoe or kayak. They have rental life jackets as well?

We are not experienced kayakers but have been out a couple times. Any suggested equipment I should make sure to bring? I just bought some paracord rope from Amazon and some random camping gear.
get a bear spray just in case. keep your food in a car and please let us know if you liked the park
Feb 7, 2012
639 posts
148 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Tent camping with young kids is fine. We have done it with 2 y.o. and even with 7 month old baby.
It may get cold at night. Plan for that.
People at other camp sites may be a bit noisier than you like when your child is having a day nap or sleeping late in the morning.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
As far as tent camping versus campers, it depends a lot on the type of person. Personally, I've never liked tent camping - I don't mind sleeping in the tent, I just hate not having all my modern day conveniences when I'm awake (we "camp" in a motorhome - I think of it more as a mobile cottage than camping).
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
I go to Sandbanks every year(camping,beach). There are privately owned parks within a close distance to Sandbanks (eg. Wesley, Hideaway) which are really nice.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote: As far as tent camping versus campers, it depends a lot on the type of person. Personally, I've never liked tent camping - I don't mind sleeping in the tent, I just hate not having all my modern day conveniences when I'm awake (we "camp" in a motorhome - I think of it more as a mobile cottage than camping).
That is not camping. That is called Glamping. If you "need" all those modern ammenities, why bother going camping at all??
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
D-Roc wrote: That is not camping. That is called Glamping. If you "need" all those modern ammenities, why bother going camping at all??
If they enjoy it then let them, no need to poop on them.

Some of my friends make fun of me because all I do is car camp which they don't call real camping. Whatever!

BTW... Is it essential to spray waterproofing stuff over my new tent? I have a new Coleman Evanston tent. Does the spray stuff really work?

Thanks for the tip for bear spray, will definitely pick some up at mec
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
D-Roc wrote: That is not camping. That is called Glamping. If you "need" all those modern ammenities, why bother going camping at all??
Cause it's nice to sit beside a fire at night with some friends, or read a book in my chair in the woods, whether there's a tent behind me or a trailer.
Feb 7, 2012
639 posts
148 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
slowtyper wrote: BTW... Is it essential to spray waterproofing stuff over my new tent? I have a new Coleman Evanston tent. Does the spray stuff really work?
It may be not necessary to waterproof your new tent if there is no long heavy rain and you do not touch the wet tent from inside. As someone recommended above, a tarp over tent will work fine in a rain. We also like to have a tarp over a picnic table (attached to nearby trees with a rope).
If you do want to spend the money and effort waterproofing the tent (and going to MEC anyways) get Nikwax Tent and Gear Solar Proof. It works well for waterproofing. If it gets on your hands you will have a hard time washing it away with ordinary soap. They also have Seam Sealer which I bought but have not tried although the review is good. "Your tent is only as good as its seams" :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote: If they enjoy it then let them, no need to poop on them.

Some of my friends make fun of me because all I do is car camp which they don't call real camping. Whatever!

BTW... Is it essential to spray waterproofing stuff over my new tent? I have a new Coleman Evanston tent. Does the spray stuff really work?

Thanks for the tip for bear spray, will definitely pick some up at mec
Wasn't "pooping" on them. It was just a question.

Yes I water proof any new tent I buy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm the first to admit it (although I had never heard that expression). Like I said, for me it's a cottage on wheels. It's certainly not a question of "needs", it's more of "wants". Lots of people enjoy roughing it, I like spending time by the water but still want comforts of modern living.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
Why bother? It makes sense if you stay longer than a weekend. I only go camping for max 2 nights so I do not need it but if I wanted to stay longer, I would definitely invest in a camp trailer
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
I bought some gear aid seam sealer from mountain equipment coop. I really don't want to open up my tent in my backyard again, if I seal it once I set it up at the campsite does anyone know if it will really stink for a long time? I'm not worried that my tent will leak as is, because I tested it already and it's okay. Just want to increase the durability of it for the future.

Dollarama has cheap blue tarps so I picked up a bunch. Figure I can put them under the tent and also make privacy screens with them or might just come in handy one day.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: I bought some gear aid seam sealer from mountain equipment coop. I really don't want to open up my tent in my backyard again, if I seal it once I set it up at the campsite does anyone know if it will really stink for a long time? I'm not worried that my tent will leak as is, because I tested it already and it's okay. Just want to increase the durability of it for the future.

Dollarama has cheap blue tarps so I picked up a bunch. Figure I can put them under the tent and also make privacy screens with them or might just come in handy one day.
I never water proof my tents but I also leave when it's raining. I would rather use the tarp if I had to but I am not an expert

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)